Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features In A Shoebox...

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ryan, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

In A Shoebox...

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Congrats... It's about time you let the cat out of the bag. That is a bitchin car. Customs are for cruisin.......

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  3. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Such a bad ass car. Take care of it and congrats!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. Saturate us baby!:D

J. A. Miller likes this.

5. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ryan its funny to me that you have written about the car multiple times but its the first time I have seen it. Great looking little car! Not in your face but subtle, which to me speaks volumes about appreciating the original car but applying personal style in customizing. Nice ride you now have!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

I wondered why it was in the background of your feature shots the other day.
    That is one great clean car; mechanically and aesthetically.

7. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Although I like the old paint job better it is still a wicked car. Club coupes look so much nicer than an unchopped sedan.

K13 likes this.
  8. Welcome to the custom club, we're glad to have you. Congrats.....couldn't be a prettier car.

Sancho and Moriarity like this.
  9. Killer car, like dumprat I preferred the original colour, but it's still a great custom. Someone needs to build a clone of the original.:D

Outback likes this.
  10. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Leave it,,,
    Drive it,,,,,

flatheadpete likes this.
  11. Crankhole

Crankhole

Congrats! I'm jealous.
    That's all I got.

12. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Great car. I don't recall - what engine replaced the flathead? Was it a Y-block or Nailhead?

13. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am in complete agreement with this. Shoebox coupes should never be chopped, but two door sedans must be chopped. (It's the only good way to get rid of the faux rear quarter window.)

tedley likes this.
  14. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Very cool ride, though I gotta say I’d love to see a shot of it between the 38 and the A. It’d look like an Oreo cookie of awesomeness

15. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

It's got a nailhead in it now... mated to the stock 3-speed on the column with factory overdrive. I've never had a car with an overdrive and man, it's so damned nice to have.

16. The interior colors and patterns in that car are one of my favorites. So simple, yet so sexy

17. belair

belair

"Cerebral trajectory." That's great phrase, gonna steal it one day. As for the car, like my daddy says "It costs no more to go first class." Drive it, own it, make it yours, make memories, then make it some one else's. Congrats.

18. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Admittedly not one of my best writing jobs. I just wanted to get it over with really... I love this car obviously, but I don't wanna be that guy that posts hundreds of pics of his own car with no substance behind it.

Anyway, here's my to do list:

1. Get the Nailhead running a little better. It has a slipping harmonic balancer and a number of vacuum leaks. I already fixed most of the vacuum leaks and have one left to go. It has an Edelbrock 1405 carb on it without the heat plate underneath... I'm waiting on UPS to deliver the plate and that should fix the last of the idling issues the car had.

2. The car currently has S/W green line accessory gauges for oil pressure and water temp as well as a non op fuel gauge. I'm gonna get the factory stuff working with the nailhead and get rid of the accessory gauges.

3. The car sits Lee Pratt low. I'm not gonna change that at all... but Lee used air shocks out back to help when there is any weight at all in the trunk. I'm gonna put a small compressor on board to control those.

4. Lee put a stereo hidden under the dash and a small speaker under the package tray. I'm gonna add a speaker in the stock dash location, remove the stereo under the dash, and install a totally hidden system that runs off my iPhone as well as the record player. I've done this before and really liked how it worked.

One of the things I've enjoyed about this car is that Lee did a really nice job building it. All of the wiring, for instance, is done in cloth and is incredibly well organized and labeled. It's made working on the car an absolute joy for a hack like myself.

19. congrats, one of my favorite Shoebox Ford's . The interior of that car is killer... I liked the first paint job and the second was just as bad ass... enjoy it !

20. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I too love shoeboxes. I see you also have an Alstate A/C. That'll make a nice family car.
    For some odd reason, I was expecting you to own a custom. But I was expecting you to surprise us with a 38 custom. :)
    That dash and interior color combo looks outstanding.
    Id be tempted to buy that car too.
    Now let see the engine compartment and more interior shots?

21. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

Love it, great buy! That’s how I want mine to turn out, simple,clean and sweet. Do you happen to have the links on the other articles you wrote on this? Or can I just search Lee Pratt?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

The first one was in TRJ. I don't remember the issue... and don't even remember writing it honestly.

Then, I did this one: https://www.jalopyjournal.com/?p=23119

Then, I did one for Hop Up... I don't know the issue number. Sorry.

23. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

Thanks Ryan! I’ll hunt the other ones down!

24. I totally understand where your at. In reading the post your, last paragraph says it all. Maintain it, drive it, repeat. That's what Lee did and probably would expect you to do the same. A good driving Shoe Box is like a comfortable pair of Tennis shoes. They go well with everything from T Shirt and Shorts to a Dress Suit and Tie. No explanation necessary.
    The Wizzard

25. "3. The car sits Lee Pratt low. I'm not gonna change that at all... but Lee used air shocks out back to help when there is any weight at all in the trunk. I'm gonna put a small compressor on board to control those."

Please do a write up on this. I just did the same thing on my 56 Buick, and an onboard compressor sounds way better that the manual fill valve at the rear bumper.

One last thing: I sold my 40 Ford and bought this Buick... I'm digging the 'custom' life so far.. :)

Attached Files:

Malcolm, Thor1 and brett4christ like this.
  26. Great acquisition! Perfect stance! And to quote one of my favorite movie lines"...and I even like the color."

(Can you guess the movie?)

27. Let's see the nailhead.....

28. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Make it your own.

29. Congratulations Boss,I know what your talking about being a hot rod guy all my life and sticking your toes in the Custom Car waters,I love that car and I have been wanting a coupe for a while now myself. HRP

30. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER