Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects BRIAN MADE ME DO IT: 34 Roadster Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bandit Billy, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So, I had the frame laid up by Darryl Schroeder in Troutdale. I wanted a QC and he had this one on the shelf. It had the helical cut gears with it. In chatting with the tech at Winters, he suggested ditching the helical gears for straight cut for this rear end. We are going to run them to see how they work out first. I put the big gear on the bottom which should produce a 3:83, big gear on top would be 4:38 he said. I am running a T-5 behind a blown flatty so I'll start low for now as suggested. That's the glory behind this rear end, a quick gear change to fine tune the performance.

He said this rear end was built for straight cut gears, my flatty will likely not produce the torque or speed it was designed to handle.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Something's missing though!

[​IMG]

3. mike bowling

mike bowling

Shhh!!! - snuck a little intermission in for the holidaze!

Bandit Billy and loudbang like this.
  4. pitman

pitman

Once had a Mopar rear, w/LH threads on one side. Am thinking I'd want them on the left, so when brakes were applied...they'd tighten (or Not loosen), Thoughts?

chryslerfan55 and Bandit Billy like this.
  5. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

And nekkid boobies...

6. Your car is art..art that I can truly appreciate.
    Well done so far, looking forward to its completion.

7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you. I have heard it run but never got to drive it. I cant wait!

Dropped off my tranny crossmember at the chrome shop this morning for some shiny stuff. Spent most of the evening last night welding and grinding on it to clean it up. With that piece back I can install the drive train again.

I also hung the M/Cs on the frame and stuffed the brakes on all four corners. Ready to run the lines and bleed it.

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Are you using "through frame fittings" for your flex hose attachment or frame tabs?

From Art Morrison
    To cure the all too common problem of "spongy" brakes. Art Morrison Enterprises has developed a special through-frame brake line fitting that eliminates any fluid air pockets that can occur with other designs. CNC machined from stainless steel billet material, they can be used in any frame rail that is 2" in width. Each end is -3AN sized fitting with one end male and the other female. AME full pressure fittings can be retrofitted to most any hydraulic brake. Also available Fuel Llne Thru Frame Fitting with -6 Male Ends (Not Shown)

http://www.artmorrison.com/brakes.php

9. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I went with weld on tabs beneath the rail. With the front inner fenders and the location of my bolt on motor mounts the through frame fittings just wouldn't work.

Good tech advice though for those using thru frame fittings.

10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Now if I can take my own advise.
    I machined a pair of through fittings for my roadster before they were being commercially produced.
    I hope they work!

11. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If not, I have a couple pair of them new in the bag I could donate to the cause.

loudbang likes this.
  12. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

As one of the announcers on the ESPN races used to say - " You picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel ".

13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Thanks for the offer but they probably wouldnt work as I had to get kind of creative due to the close proximity of my steering box mount.

14. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

once assembled, there is not a lot of room on the front rails for thru frame fittings on our cars. Now I'm interested in seeing what you cam up with.

And that is just fricken hilarious!

15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Just so you know it's f#@k'n cold out there in my shop but for a buddy............

20171205_133824.jpg

16. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was sitting at my desk working today and a few well wishers were dropping off birthday presents although the big day is not until tomorrow. One of the gifts, about to be opened, reminded me of the color pallet I have been applying to my roadster. Coincidence?
    upload_2017-12-5_13-56-18.png
    The wax is a little lighter than the body color but the tan on the label is dead ringer for my dash and firewall. Now I'm thinking I have the interior leather color picked out...bourbon brown.

17. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You're a good man for braving the elements. I see your dilemma now. Crafty result. you are going to run up on top of the rail for a second, I am running under the rail at the same location to avoid that box mount and motor mounts.

"if building a car was easy, everyone would pay to have to someone else do it"...or something like that. :cool:

It's about bourbon thirty.

18. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I can't say I'm real happy for you.
    You'd think I would remember to restock!

IMG_20171205_144149.jpg

Happy Happy

19. Happy birthday !
    I'll join you ,
    image.jpeg

The problem with thru the frame fittings is their anatomy.
    The inside hole is too big and traps air. The need their own bleeder or to machined from very thick wall DOM tube so the ID hole is 3/16 like the line and better if they had a flair fitting seat with no tapered pipe threads.
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

Lol, go here -
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/truck-into-a-coupe-my-next-pet-project.850807/
    Read post 11, that's the kind of ideas they get.

20. loudbang

loudbang

LOL you have some GOOD FRIENDS. Have a shot or two and enjoy your birthday.

chryslerfan55 and Bandit Billy like this.
  21. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Happy Birthday! Or was it yesterday? Anyway, just caught up with the roadster, amazing job. It's beautiful, and I second the bourbon brown (tobacco?) interior...

22. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't mind tackling what I do best but I pay for stuff I don't. Case in point, the dude with the sand paper and polisher is headed over tomorrow to start cutting and making with the pretty on my freshly painted parts.

That meant I needed to make a roller out of the frame tonight so I can kick it off the lift. The polisher prefers working with the car of the lift to make a bit easier on his back and ensure a nice job.

Here's the roller, headed to another bay for a few days.

upload_2017-12-11_21-29-48.png
    Needs a little something, perhaps a blown flathead?
    upload_2017-12-11_21-31-17.png

23. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Max, now you see why I spent all that time on that offy gas pedal. :rolleyes:

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  24. Nice milestone and damn it looks good.

25. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks, the body is back on the lift. I left it bolted to the dolly so I can roll it around the garage after it is polished while I finish prepping the frame. Polisher is here, very happy with the paint job but he sees room for improvement.

I gotta go to work and make the money I need to pay him, ill post some progress photos later after he plays with it today.

26. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

SPY PHOTO: taken from my security cam in the shop. Cant wait to go home and see the progress.
    upload_2017-12-12_12-16-19.png

27. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Great progress. Bet you're itchin to get it put together and finally get to drive it!

28. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have never driven a flathead powered car (virgin :oops:). So yes, I am dying to drive the car. I'm not expecting 442 performance (I drove her to work today to clear out the garage for the frame) but I expect it to scoot!

I knew I would forget something on the frame, today I remembered what it was, I forgot weld on the front panhard mounting bracket. I have the so-cal bracket that came with the stainless bar. I am thinking about going home tonight and fabricating a bolt on bracket and welding it up, then take it to the chrome shop. Crap, I got in a hurry and blew a fuse. Now I have to get creative so it looks planned.