Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical The Allure of the Quick-Change Rear End.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jive-Bomber, Dec 6, 2016.

1. alchemy

alchemy

Irontrap that looks like an early rear cover from here. But the housing is later since it has the big rib on the upper inside.

2. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Major good news today! I called the tech at Winter's Performance and told him I had their Champion QC and needed a vent, he said all I needed was part number SR9341, remove the top axle bolt nearest the center section on the left tube looking forward and install the vent. All drilled and set up for me already! They are drop shipping it currently to me.
    upload_2017-12-4_11-10-40.png
    For anyone in the same predicament, vent away!

PhredH, Splitbudaba and Max Gearhead like this.
  3. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Mike Moore early v8 unit. 9AAEE23E-D976-4625-91C0-9E693D8A9E9E.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    rod1, hfh, 383deuce and 2 others like this.
  4. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

That's SLICK!!!!!

5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

You don't see this everyday, I think I saw this around here before.
    B/W T-10 4 speed adapted to a quickie.

[​IMG]

6. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I'd like to know more about that!

7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Can't find much on the internet for photos but this was a McKee product built for the old CanAm cars of the late 60's.

Discussion here.

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php?topic=3554.0

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/gt40-talk/103041-need-info-mckee-transaxle.html

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/rear-engine-hot-rod.135150/page-6
    See post #152

Here you go.
    https://www.allpar.com/history/mopar/mckee-v-special15.html

https://www.allpar.com/history/mopar/mckee-v-special15.html

8. sdluck

sdluck

9. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Thanx DDDenny,

I have a B-W T-10 and a few Halibrand cases, but no time ;)

10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Jet96, alfin32 and Tim_with_a_T like this.
  11. Boon BA

Boon BA

Heres my Spidaro rear, very similar set up. Did tear up my axle key because I forgot to Torque the hell out of my castle nut. :(

Still love the set up though.
    1930 Model A (10).jpg

12. zzford

zzford

Quick change rear ends in a highboy cause a lump in my trousers.

13. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

9DA03576-92CB-4663-A3C1-D054872BABE3.png 936C77A9-F546-4B92-9BF9-0CF031A1F8F0.png
    Put one in this one, #16 of our run in 02. May put one in the OHV car on the right in the upper photo.
    QC’s are just plain Kool.......

303racer and Fatbrosracing like this.
  14. Squablow

Squablow

In a local junkyard which I just recently learned of, and which is very quickly getting crushed out, there was a shipping container (or maybe a train car, something like that) which was filled up with shopping carts and industrial baking ovens. Curiosity got the better of me and my new friend who introduced me to the yard, and laying inside of an oven in the junkyard was this, along with a huge metal box filled with bearings and plates and the splined shaft that was part of this setup, along with a 9K Jones mechanical tach and an aluminum snout that says Hilborn on it.

Between this and the block letter Edelbrock flathead heads I found laying on the ground in another local yard, this has been the year for crazy good junkyard finds.

20171206_201743.jpg

15. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So I got my vent in the mail today, for all of you with a Winters Champion QC venting is a simple as 1, 2, 3.
    1. The vent from Winters
    upload_2017-12-12_21-0-43.png
    2. The bolt you remove from the left axle tube, top view, looking at the floor.
    upload_2017-12-12_21-1-56.png
    3. Remove bolt, wrap the vent with Teflon tape, reinsert.
    upload_2017-12-12_21-3-2.png
    That's what I call a "quick vent".

Max Gearhead and Blue One like this.
  16. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

A drilled bolt basically. Quite clever although there are no bolts like that on my Winters.

17. :cool:I'll be getting one of those for mine!:cool:

18. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

[​IMG]

I have this pile of 301 noisemaker parts in my garage... might need a new owner...

19. GeeRam

GeeRam

I have a Winters QC assembly sitting in its box waiting on the workshop floor waiting to go into my coupe........hopefully soon, but, I thought that 9 months ago :rolleyes::oops::D

20. redoxide

redoxide

just bought a winters V8 QC today, gave it a lot of thought, clincher was ftting one to a buddies coupe and finding out first hand that they are a total quality product . The 40 rear in my coupe leaks oil around the bells, eats couplers, and has a slight play in the hub bearings , Putting it all right wasnt going to be cheap so bit the bullet, sold a few bits and pieces I was saving for another build and raised the money for one for myself.. eye wattering cost, $7000 with shipping, taxes and brakes, given that im in the UK . but given im nearly 60 Im guessing the rear axle will outlast me :) Not a cheap part to get to the UK and not a cheap part to purchase, but behind the flathead in my coupe it should be ultra reliable .. The down side, if I can call it that, was the knock on effect.. Having bought a bullet proof rear axle I now moved he weak link to the gearbox , so opted for open drive, and scored a T5 from a buddy who was upgrading to a TKX . A long and fairly expensive route to reliability and all paid for by selling off stuff I was saving for another build.. This old suff is better than money in the bank :)

attached a pic of the winters I fitted to my buddies car ..

IMG-20210425-181811.jpg

unfortunately not long after this pic was taken the car was involved in an altercation with a careless driver who falled to stop. :( havent got the car back yet but fingers crossed the rear axle isnt damaged other than the mounting brackets . The rear left wheel took the brunt of the impact and shifted the axle across to the right ..

IMG_20210709_133042.jpg

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
  21. ^^^^^^Heartbreaking stuff!

22. High test 63

High test 63

23. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Just saw this thread and read thru it. Came to these 2 posts and a flicker of a memory flashed across a neuron or 2 in my gray matter. I remembered seeing a side tube arrangement like that somewhere recently. Diversified (DMI) a current manufacturer of qcs for racing, has a side bell and bolt on tube system like that. I do not know if it will work with other brands of centersections, but it does appear from their catalog that they have a system for 10 inch r&p qcs. If the bells will work on Other centersections i.e. if the bolt patterns match and the register is the same diameter, this could be useful for many applications.

GEARHEADSQCE might have seen them by now and determined if they are compatible/adaptable. I'm going to check them out to see if this will work with a Winters heavy-duty qc center. Future project in planning stages...

24. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Acouple of comments,
    I am a Winters dealer and have sent several Quickchange assemblies to the UK including Scotland. Even with the taxes and shipping they were much less than $7000. Happy to help HAMBers across the pond.

@Dave G in Gansevoort,
    I had not seen the DMI side plates and bolt on tube adaptors. I am fairly certain that they will fit the typical Winters, Frankland etc. 11 bolt center sections. Most of the DMI stuff is Magnesium, but if I read their description correctly, both pieces are aluminum.
    My H852-11 side plates are drilled for a 6 bolt tube adapter as well as the Ford V8 trumpets. I do not know if the DMI tube adapters are the same bolt pattern. I will check with them and get back.

25. trikejunkie

trikejunkie
    from Scotland

I am saving up for one too ,selling off parts is hard though LOL

High test 63 likes this.
  26. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pretty sure @Frames Dennis Frings missed this thread first time through (as I did), but I'm sure he would agree with you Marty. Just about everything in his shop has a QC. He has plenty to say about QC's.
    2021-07-12 16.02.23.jpg

alfin32 and High test 63 like this.
  27. 6sally6

6sally6

High test 63 likes this.
  28. High test 63

High test 63

I found an old frankland in a scrapyard under an old dirt modified chassis. Bought it and let it set in the barn for quite a while. A thread on the Hamb got me inspired to get it fixed up for my hotrod. @Tman traded me rear covers. I had Frankland racing supply near me set it up for street duty using new and used parts. I still need to source some 9inch ford brakes and get it in the car. @GearheadsQCE helped me with advice
    early in the project, i want to get a couple of sets of change gears from him soon. Am pretty well geeked up about getting this under the car and running the hell out of it. IMG_20210525_184342567_HDR.jpg

neverdun and hfh like this.
  29. redoxide

redoxide

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
    trikejunkie likes this.