Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Has anyone gotten calls from.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by exterminator, Nov 24, 2017.

1. exterminator

exterminator

A while back I had put my 41 on craigslist to see if anyone was interested in trading since I had lost interest and recently including a hour and a half ago I keep getting these calls from people wanting to sell my car for me. It has a place on your ad on craigslist to mark if you don't want them to solicit you but it apparently doesn't matter to them. Does anyone else get these calls and how do you handle them? I am getting pretty tired of this. Exterminator

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I only accept emails.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Never have but that kind doesn't seem to abide by the rules. Truthfully I haven't posted anything on Craigslist that was interesting enough for anyone to want to try to make a buck promoting it. Last car I sold was a clunker that a scrapper made me an offer over the phone, showed up with a tow dolly 30 minutes later and paid me without even looking at it, was surprised when I offered to drive it up on the tow dolly for him and then towed it to Portland to sell for scrap. I kept the battery.

4. CL- Hit or Miss....... I only accept calls, no texts, nor e-mails.... I can always block a caller. Figure if someone calls, it's way above the easy way to get you to respond,and scam your addy, and it might show more interest= effort.
    But- depends on how you worded your add....... Sometimes you have to be a pr$ck in the description.Well, you have to be, or you'll get what you've gotten.... The real interested parties will follow directions.
    Of course= results may vary......... I've had good luck with CL, but it's all in the approach......
    And for shit's a giggles- There was a thread not too long ago about replying to CL add's- like= I'm interested in your item. If you get that wording= just delete.....If someone cant be specific, and ask detailed questions, don't waste your time!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017

5. Budget36

Budget36

Yep...not really a scam, but you do have $$ to lose.
    I called them back, was on hold, something like the "13th person on hold"...about every 30 seconds, they'ed let me know I moved up a space.

When it got to me, and about 30 seconds into the call, their "service" cost was 149.99, or similar, guaranteed to sell or they would relist it for free for another 6 months.

I knew then why I was moving up every 30 seconds or so.

Win-win for them, as they have nothing to lose, once they get you money.

6. exterminator

exterminator

I blocked one calling from Las Vegas after the third call and told them if they want to buy or trade I will listen to their offer but if they want to sell it for me- it is not available! If they want to sell it so bad, they can always buy it from me and then sell it. Its getting to me! :mad:

farmer12 and Truck64 like this.
  7. Don't let it get to you- Play the game.......=Sure you can sell it for me....Drop of XXXX$, pick up my ride, and sell it. (for me)!:D

mad mikey likes this.
  8. CME1

CME1

I have received several calls from ad agents saying that they have customers waiting for cars just like the one I have listed. My answer to them, send me the name and number of said customer, and if I make a sale I will send you a finders fee. For some reason, I always get hung up on. Problem solved, Until next time!

9. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I only sell parts on Craigslist. the only time the scammers started calling was when I was trying to sell a $1500.00 bicycle.

INVISIBLEKID and mad mikey like this.
  10. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tell em you will sell it to them and they can then sell it for whatever in hell they want to! I have had decent luck on C'list. I have only one time had a "broker" call and offer to sell it for me. Told him not likely!

11. Same thing with trying to sell a Harley on CL,,, it's crap.

12. Tell them you sold it and they will never call again

13. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

A few years ago, the price of scrap was so high that they were getting $500 per car in Portland.

14. Gman0046

Gman0046

In my car for sale ads I always include a statement saying I don't need or want any help in selling the car. It cuts down on nuisance calls.

15. squirrel

squirrel

hang up and block the number

and lower the price on the car repeatedly until it sells, then remove the ad.

CME1 and Hnstray like this.
  16. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

this works for me: "YOU'RE ON THE AIR! TURN YOUR RADIO DOWN..."

17. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

"....Sergeant Waters, 21st Precinct."

dan c and mad mikey like this.
  18. southerncad

southerncad

When I get one of those "unknown name/800 " calls, I like to answer " Consumer Fraud Division, may I have the number your calling from?"....usually hear a dial tone before I get to the end of my sentence....imagine that!

slack and mad mikey like this.
  19. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Never use your telephone number in an ad.

Set up a disposable email address, on one of the services that are free. Use only that.

I don't ever answer the telephone unless I recognize the number. That is what voicemail is for.

Don't create problems for yourself that are easily avoided.

20. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

^^ Yep, got so tired of bumping my head crawling out from under, reaching in my pocket with greasy hands only for some worthless call.

On the emails, when I sell on craigslist and someone emails me, sometimes it shows their real email address, sometimes just a random row of numbers and letters. No idea why the difference and no idea what they see from me when I email someone on an ad.

21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can email, anonymously, through Craigslist. This is to protect your identity. When you do that, you will see email addresses like: [email protected]

22. From what I have seen search over the years is that there are some companies that offer to sell your car for you, like on consignment, over a given amount of time.
    I believe there was a thread about those companies here a few years ago.

If you fall for it, they will just inflate the price and spam it all over Craigslist, Im sure you cannot sell the car coz you probably will owe them something for their advertising (yeah the craigslist spamming).

What happens next is that the original (owner/seller) will let their ego gets to them and think " If this guy can sell my car for this price, why can't I?"

Thus your car ends up on craigslist for a lot more months unsold.
    You have inflated your price and nobody wanted to deal with a confused seller who cannot take a look at the market and realize that there is a threshold value for any give model vs what is out there.

If you want to sell or Trade your car, drive it shows, list it here on the Hamb, find the correct forum that your car belongs in, in my case I was part of the Fairlane Club of America.
    You have better chances at selling it.
    Also don't get offenders if you think some offers are low-ball, just say I would feel more comfortable selling at X amount. You may have overpriced your car, or it just not a model people are looking for.

Just my thoughts/ also to help others not just your initial question. good luck.

23. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i bought a plug-in device called a "call blocker" and it's been a godsend!

24. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Where does it go on my smartphone?

25. wsdad

wsdad

Your smart phone already has one. Get a teenager to show you how to use it. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. I screen my CL buyers out by email. I have an account I use rarely, perfect for this use. If they get past that hurdle, I give them my cell phone, NO texts, leave a message if you miss me. Sorry to be a scumbag at times, but you have to protect yourself.

27. theBo'B

theBo'B
    from Mesa, Az.

Good luck with the new 3w...

28. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Sometimes... I had a 35 Pontiac I sold about 6 years ago. At least once or twice a year I get a call about it still. They get the number from the local Pontiac club. They always sound super dejected when I say it sold years ago. Usually they ask who I sold it to and what their plan was with it. Really get mad when I say I don't know the buyers name nor intentions. Itd be nice if the club would update their folder and stop calling me. Or better yet, they could have bought it!