Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 36 ford ute

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by roger didonato, Dec 3, 2017.

1. roger didonato

roger didonato

Pics aren't in order ,A whole lot of work ahead will be well worth it as its a rare bird. I guess were all gluttons for punishment but what the hell. My 38 sedan delivery snuck in there.

Attached Files:

2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Where are you based, you need to update your Avatar?
    Has that Ozzie ute been over there for a while or is it a recent import? A bit hard to tell going by photos however it looks like it was RHD and not LHD as firewall hasn't been notched for column.
    Plans are?
    upload_2017-12-4_9-38-29.png

This HAMBer has this one in his shop, some inspiration maybe?
    http://lonestarbodyshop.blogspot.com.au/2012/03/workshop-progress-updates.html

sloppy jalopies likes this.
  3. Neat project, although I am biased. Have a 37 Ford Ute and a 37 Chevy Ute. Did you import that one? It is a lot better shape than many I have seen.

MGTStumpy I don't think any real Utes were ever LHD since they were only made in AU and sold there and New Zealand. Both RHD countries. US never had Utes, the only ones here have been imported. My 37 Ford was made by Ford of AU, and the 37 Chevy by Holden of AU under GM license.

4. roger didonato

roger didonato

Gidday Mate! Don't know how long its been here. It was RHD but wont be any more. Plans are 350/350 4 bar front.Unisteer R&P which is what I have in my 38 sedan delivery.It goes down the road straight as an arrow.When I saw the one on Lonestars site its a carbon copy rust toolbox on firewall & all

5. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I should have clarified that, yep we did things differently down here. I thought it may have been brought in at some time from here, converted and was a driver at some stage. Workhorse during the week and able to drive the wife to church to Sunday. Have a friend here who has a 37 coupe ute that has been in storage for so long now I can't remember. A pristine body and a keeper. You know, "I'll do it up at some stage when I get time", however working on other peoples cars keeps him busy.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  6. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Very nice. She's shaping up nicely. I love ute's. They're funky-cool.
    Please ditch the cinder blocks. They'll crumble like glass without warning and drop the entire vehicle on you. If you need extra height, use something more substantial like solid wood cribbing.

7. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

One of my favorite years for a Ute, never found one when we were looking.
    Our 50 Chev we kept right hand (hook) steering, but my 53 Ford will be left hook.
    Keep us informed

8. roger didonato

roger didonato

Hey Stumpy, Know anybody in need of 36 RHD parts? Roger

9. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Not off hand, a friend converted a 36 3W coupe from LHD to RHD the other year and sold his RHD 36 sedan years before that. For some inspiration and ideas, here's a local 36 coupe ute being rebuilt by a HAMBER down under

10. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I would imagine most Ute's in Australia already have right hand drive bits and better access.
    But there is other uses for a right hand drive box in the US