Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods desoto hemi too heavy for posies "standard" spring ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kyotb8, Nov 30, 2017.

1. kyotb8

kyotb8

Hey everyone, need a little advice about front springs. My 39 Plymouth pickup has a Pete and Jake's front axle/spring assy. It's the standard weight Posies reverse eye spring. My truck has a 330 Desoto Hemi, all iron, iron intake with 2 4's. Estimate weight 650-670. I'm pretty sure my spring is bottoming and flattening on most bumps. It feels like it hit's hard on every spot in the road. Here's my Question...I see that Posies offers a "heavy" version of my spring for "hemi's and big blocks", Any one on here run one of them ? I'm pretty sure my engine and truck weight surpass the "usual" model A or '32 weight with a flatty or small block Chevy. Looking for some input before I spend some more $$.
    BTW, I called the local spring shop, they said no way to add a leaf to a spring like mine... Any input is appreciated !!!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Why can't a leaf be added? Straight leaf?

Never was a problem when I worked in a spring shop.

A spring carrying more weight needs either an extra leaf (or two) or made with the same number of leafs of thicker steel.

3. kyotb8

kyotb8

Good question ! I called the spring shop and described my spring. The guy said “you mean like a model A ?” I said yes only aftermarket, not original. He said he couldn’t do it. Maybe I will take it over and show it. Might be a miscommunication. I think an extra leaf on top of the main one might be enough . Posies gets $245 plus shipping for their “heavy” spring.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. I put one of those heavy Posie springs in my 32 and it was way too heavy.

5. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Di
    Did you remove leaves or swap it out?

6. kyotb8

kyotb8

Just curious, Did it ride rough ? What hemi is in your 32 ? Did you go back with a "standard" spring ?

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

When I installed an 8RT engine in my 40 Ford with a Posie's front spring, the engine was a lot heavier than the 85 hp engine so it bottomed out all the time. Posie told me to add another long leaf to the spring; I had a spring shop make me one which they didn't have one that short so it had to be shortened. It worked perfect and the ride was the same as before without the bottoming out on bumps.

kyotb8 likes this.
  8. oldolds

oldolds

Are you talking about the truck in your avatar? Looks like you have a lot of engine setback. That takes quite a bit of weight off the suspension. Show some pics of your suspension set up. Things are better with pics. What kind of shocks are you running, are they bottoming out? Can you make it bottom out by standing on the frame and bouncing it? If you can try it with shocks off.

9. kyotb8

kyotb8

Thanks for the reply, that's what I was thinking. I'm gonna take the spring over to the shop soon and see if that would be feasible. Don't see why not, and that may be just enough to keep it from bottoming. I don't want to appear dense, but what's an 8RT engine ?

10. kyotb8

kyotb8

Thanks for the advice ! It is currently apart, but it's made like this...the spring is on top of the axle (superbell) the radiator is just aft of the spring crossmember, the fan is within about 1-1 1/4" of the radiator. So yes, there is some engine set back. I may put it back together and try what you said. Will the shocks bottoming make it feel SOLID over every bump ???[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

11. oldolds

oldolds

I am not an expert on those suspensions. Many others on here are. It looks like your frame is hitting the frame on compression. The middle pic is with the engine in the truck? I am guessing the spring is too long. Others should be able to give you better advice.

12. kyotb8

kyotb8

Thanks for looking. The top 2 pics are the truck as it is now, running, driving. The last (bottom) pic is with engine, trans, etc, but no brake lines, intake, carbs, etc. Not finished. At rest there is maybe 5/8" clearance between top of spring and bottom of frame. I figure I may have to notch the frame for clearance. Anyone know how much clearance is needed ? Minimum 1-1 1/2" at rest ? I'm no engineer, and this is the first hot rod from scratch for me. Thanks to all that have responded !

13. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  14. If your spring shop still can't/won't help you, just scare up a used 28-34 spring or loose leaf, cut to length needed with a cutoff wheel, arch to fit, and try it out. Spring work on early Fords isn't rocket surgery, more like caveman engineering 2.0.

flatheadpete and olscrounger like this.
  15. sunbeam

sunbeam

You could put a block between the spring and the cross member if ride height is not an issue.

16. choptop40

choptop40

Any spring shop can do it , simple Simon...

17. kyotb8

kyotb8

Thanks for the flathead info. Not into those much, I know a little more about early hemis now.

18. I went back and reread your first post. Your shop just might be (sort of) right. The raised bumps holding the sliders in the Posies spring will probably prevent adding any leaf except for one between the first leaf and the main leaf. It will have to be short enough to not hit the main leaf eye on compression.

One other thing that they could do is make a new main leaf from heavier (.262) steel. That would help with the weight issue and the length/arch could be adjusted to dial in your shackle angles.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
    COCONUTS likes this.
  19. Reds 29

Reds 29

Your spring shackles should be at a 45 degree angle and yours appear to be almost 90 degrees in the second picture. Usually that occurs because of a worn out spring or one that is too long. Either of these will cause it to bottom out. I have a similar set-up with a 241, which is a little lighter and I don't have this problem.

73RR and olscrounger like this.
  20. kyotb8

kyotb8

I started driving the truck in August it has less than 600 miles the spring axle and all front and parts for brand new at the time. I believe the spring is overloaded slightly and I need a heavier one along with relief cut in the frame for the spring to move further.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lots of good advice given thus far. I have had several aftermarket springs sag after a very short time-one dropped 1 1/2 inches in a few weeks-replaced it as mentioned-that was 8 yrs ago. Now I try to use orig Ford springs and have a new main leaf made.

22. kyotb8

kyotb8

I appreciate very much all the comments and advice ! My thought is a “heavy” spring ( either posies or a leaf added) and a notch cut in the frame for more travel. I’m sure it’s bottoming out ! May try a spacer on top of spring first to see if that helps. Thanks for all the suggestions. The H.A.M.B. is it !!!!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. I took it out and put in a standard Posie spring.
    I have a 354 Chrysler Hemi, with aluminum water pump and intake manifold, Ansen Scatter shield and M20 Muncie.
    I figure it's about a 100 lbs heavier than a small block Chev.

s55mercury66 likes this.
  24. kyotb8

kyotb8

Mine is all iron, iron water pump/front cover, intake, 727 trans. Has a/c, so compressor and condenser in front, too. My wife goes along almost always, so vintage air/heat was a requirement !! Had a 25 Dodge roadster before that we got too hot and too wet in, so it went away and the pickup came around !
    I've got 2 posies springs, both standard weight, one reverse eye, and one standard eye. The truck was built with the reverse eye, but I wanted to raise the front, so I put it in standard eye for awhile. It was even closer to the frame, I'm sure I need to notch the frame there.
    Thanks for the reply.

25. Cmpf

Cmpf

Sid you remove leafs?

26. Why would an 8RT flathead engine be a lot heavier than an 85 horsepower flathead engine ?

27. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It also looks like you only have only 3/4" to 1" of up travel on your shocks.

Phil

28. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

5 year old thread... wonder what happened???