Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects I Just Bought a Hot Rod Model A Roadster That Was Built In 1959...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by cactus1, Jun 7, 2017.

1. loudbang

loudbang

Well it looks like it will be ready for the next "Shine" run :) Dam them revenuers.

Woogeroo, cactus1 and 31chevymike like this.
  2. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

Mike,
    I'm watching the vids and giggling like an idiot while covering a study hall. All my students think I'm soft. So stoked for you and super glad to see all your hard work pay off. It's a kick in the pants to keep me focused on the 34.

Way to go.

3. Haha! I love it!!!

Ha! Man it's pretty nice here for the end of November! I heart global warming!

Sounds good Bob! I'll DM my number in case you are ever in the area.

Yes!!

Crank it up over the PA and corrupt some minds Marky!!! :D Thanks man! Get that coupe together!!!

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  4. Lanyard

Lanyard

VTWhead I can't tell you how exciting it is to see, and hear that 'Baby" run! It is so thrilling to think I found a buyer that not only likes the build, and wants to keep it original; but he keeps me posted on the progress, as if I were sitting in the garage with him. Mike is the "greatest"!

5. Lanyard

Lanyard

Tuck, Thanks for the compliment; but after all these years, I think the Bachelors Button is "sterile"!

6. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

It was kismet! :D

7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Man those photos are great. Might be the first time in a long while that a feature in hopup is photographed by the owner. - I mean how can they not feature it right?

8. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Love the pics and the video. You need plan a show at the farm and I will be there. I need to see this roadster!!

9. So cool to read all this and see these great shots from back in the day. I was wondering who the gys are in the one photo? My guess is I know them....

Stogy, 31chevymike and cactus1 like this.
  10. Thanks Tim. They are just some excited iPhone snapshots but I appreciate it!

Thanks (also) Tim, ha! Come see it!

I kinda wondered if anyone would know those guys? I was kinda thinking someone may see it and go “hey that’s me!” Maybe @Lanyard can fill us in on who’s who?

loudbang and 31chevymike like this.
  11. Lanyard

Lanyard

I was so disappointed when I picked up this transmission case from the plating company. For some stupid reason, I thought they would grind down the whole transmission, like the top plate and shifter before plating Well they didn't! They only did the top plate,so it just looked like an aluminum painted transmission. I used to drive from Salina to Kansas City, on weekends to see my now wife. Every time I went, I would take some pieces to be plated, then bring the ones from the week before back to Salina to put back on the car. This was the most expensive part of the build. I think, since the car was built from collected pieces from local abandoned junk yards, I had less than $1,500.00 in the car since I did the build myself.

12. I love it Lanny! I always forget to ask you what the dash panel/ gauges are out of? Boat???
    Oh and the white knobs on the dash?

13. Lanyard

Lanyard

I got the gauges from a friend, is all I know, and the switches were just bought from I think a place called J.C. Whitney car part catalog. My memory is fading. I can't even remember who I sold the Roadster to. "Ha"!

14. J.C. Whiney is still around. I wonder if they have a couple of knobs to match for the radio? It's only been 50 years or so right? :D

15. I posted this on my IG page today but for those that aren’t on there I thought this turned out kinda neat! The filters let you make some nice adjustments for those of us that aren’t photogs or versed in photoshop.

*Oops! I just realized that I had already posted the unedited version of this photo already. Sorryboutdat!

42E15993-2538-4252-82AF-BA699F2CB2DC.jpeg

I think my next order of business will be to figure out a tag mount/light. I also want to buy some mufflers to attach to the "scavenger" pipes that are tucked under there.

Something like this for the tag. 37599270-87E5-4563-AC6B-4DFD58A4BD32.png

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    Countn'Carbs, brad2v, Stogy and 5 others like this.
  16. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I see a few people on IG making similar things. Seems like it should look good though :)

What color were the nerfs originally?

17. The nerfs were silver when the car was white and are black now from the redo to the current blue.

Stogy, Sancho, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That Plate Holder is tough to find...heres same car less stuff different stage
    of build....

RearTag_detail.jpg

That is my one of my sore spots on my Sport Coupe...I needed a light for safety check and they bought a billitty one. I have rounded the sharp edges and unshined it. I wanted mine centered in the panel.

Similar to what you posted I think the light is reproduced as a vintage Airstream trailer item...the frame
    I can't find that anywhere...I'd like one like that
    [​IMG]
    Heres some photoshopped minor mods to your desired look if you can find it.
    Basically position and light position...

If you find one of these types of frames let me know...
    other than the one you are going to buy...:D

RearTag_detail2.jpg

RearTag_detail3.jpg

brad2v, loudbang and 31chevymike like this.
  19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man those taillights look like chrome rings with exhaust exiting through them...

31chevymike and loudbang like this.
  20. It does look like that light you posted. I am just using the pic for reference. A good friend of mine has a “Hollywood” tag light that I think he is going to give up. I was going to make a plate to mount the whole mess to with an old chrome frame I have. ( I plan to more or less clamp it to the bottom flange below the rumble lid. I don’t want to put any holes in the body unless I find out specifically what was there before.) Nothing as cool as on that ‘61 (‘62?) AMBR car though! If I do find one of those I bet I can’t afford it ha!

And you may be right about the exhaust!
    I love that earlier pic you posted too. So clean!

brad2v, Tuck, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've been snooping around and haven't seen any like it at all...light yes...those flatter diecast/aluminum frames are going for big bucks you are right...

Check these out...
    http://militaryauction.org/t/Vintag...atured+Refinements/License-Plate-Frames_33758

Heres that pic of the roadster pretty sure its the same one...link below...

[​IMG]

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/1929-ford-highboy-roadster-2/

22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Its the same car...the plate holder is just hidden behind the addons and taillights were changed as well...The fine art of when to stop...that is the question...

Did Lanny ever have a plate on the back?

By the way I just had a look at the article that Hotrod is still around but that plateholder is gone and one like I have has taken its place...:(

23. Yes I’m aware it’s the same car! Doodads added for AMBR and it must have worked, haha!

He said he had a plate but I see no evidence in this version (or in any of the pics I have.) there are a couple of spots visible that look like they could have been holes at one time in the center of the lower pan that are about 6” apart.

loudbang, 31chevymike and Stogy like this.
  24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey your Sunsets even better now more rubbing it in...;)

loudbang, 31chevymike and cactus1 like this.
  25. There are some good ones on that link @Stogy! This is one I had on my ‘54 and grabbed it before I sold the car. It’s nothing special but will do until I find the “perfect” one. AAC54B74-BB73-441E-9F03-CC260787CD4D.jpeg

Countn'Carbs, JOYFLEA, Tuck and 4 others like this.
  26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

At least its not billet square...looks alright...I needed a light to safety up this way.

loudbang, cactus1 and 31chevymike like this.
  27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh so tempting may those spare bracket holes be just under the panel for the Airstream light with the frame...is that welded up?

28. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

You did such an awesome job getting that car back on the road! Congrats and good luck with it!!

29. I'm not entirely sure what's going on with them? I can't feel them from underneath. They are either brazed, welded, or bondoed near as I can tell.

Thanks man! I appreciate it!

31chevymike, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  30. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I’d check out the ones crafty B makes. They’ve got a little more shape on the top but they are close. I think maybe jo Kerr or grace and co make a surround also maybe? I saw one like your looking for recently I just know it.

Now if I could remember where i saw it lol

On a different note I bet that bar nerf wouldnlookg good white

31chevymike and Stogy like this.