Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Almost Funny - AWB Barracuda Funny Car Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Nov 27, 2017.

1. slowmotion

slowmotion

2. loudbang

loudbang

One more for inspiration

Crazy Cuda

Crazy Cuda  Dorsey Salter.jpg

3. Chech out race junk. Hemi in oklahoma.

squirrel and loudbang like this.
  4. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

^ does it have water in the block.

loudbang and kiwijeff like this.
  5. If you’re thinking 727 John Cope is the guy you need to speak with.
    www.coperacingtrans.com

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang, warbird1 and bobwop like this.
  6. brad2v

brad2v

7. Are you going to do a one-piece front end, i. e. tilt-style, or separate fenders and hood?

loudbang likes this.
  8. squirrel

squirrel

I plan to have separate fenders and hood. I have some weird ideas about the hood, but not sure yet how it will work.

loudbang likes this.
  9. suchadrag

suchadrag

From my neck of the woods

ROBERT NANCE-RINGGOLD,GA.1967.jpg

Swamp Rat 4, enloe, 62hotcat and 10 others like this.
  10. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  11. HOLY COW!
    Jim, this is without a doubt, the coolest, most ambitious project we have seen for quite some time!
    ONLY YOU can pull this off! Really, I have faith you won't screw this up!
    It's going to be difficult, stance, paint and general attitude and detail will make or break this one.
    The Petty car was built using the stock floor pan with tubing running from front to back on the interior side, to stiffen it up. Might consider that to save work and money.The Petty car ran 10's though, might not get you into the 8's! The time period here would be 1966-67, many all out nitro cars didn't run 8's then.
    You MUST use a 727 Torqueflite.Nearly every funnycar did in those days, including a lot of Chevy's!
    Tires and wheels are vital to get right as well.
    MAN, do I love this whole idea! This is a much needed ( in my view) shot in the arm for the HAMB!
    I cannot wait to follow this build!

12. loudbang and brad2v like this.
  13. Not a huge fan of AWB cars, radical rear wheel changes were on the way out then, there really was no point on purpose built drag cars.The idea by then was to stretch the WB for stability.
    I realize you aren't building a replica, but one of my favorites was the Kingfish car. I like this stance and the stretch wasn't out of proportion And those wheels are KILLER on this car. That era kids, is the transition era, when funny cars went from stockers to floppers, this was in between.Most cars still had steel bodies with 'glass doors , hoods, etc. As for the back glass, I LIKE the little subtle "hump" in them, you lose that with Lexan. If the TQflite could take 1000 hp on nitro, it can take your motor! It had a reputation of bulletproof at the time!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  14. squirrel

squirrel

This car has the rear wheels moved up about 8 inches, by the looks of it. This is really close to what I'm planing to build.

Things get out of hand quickly when you go shopping for the right wheels! we'll see what I can find.

mad mikey, kiwijeff and brad2v like this.
  15. loudbang likes this.
  16. The front wheels were moved forward to return stability to the car it also moved more weight to the rear.

During the 65-66 season the top teams were building complete cars in six months or less. Jim has ten months he can get it done. It is a aggressive project that i can relate to.

mad mikey, loudbang and brad2v like this.
  17. John Force would approve. :cool:
    JF 04.jpg

18. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

Been driving past this one for years.

Attached Files:

loudbang and Donuts & Peelouts like this.
  19. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Get the wheels first in case you run out of money!

20. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Not John Force.
    That's Kenney "The Action Man" Goodell.
    Speaking of wheels, when I was in high school, Kenney got the Cragars for my 57 Chevy at cost when he was sponsored by Cragar.

21. squirrel

squirrel

I've been staring at the car a lot, and measuring stuff, and trying to figure out how it will all go together.

And, I've been taking apart. Got the interior mostly out, along with the windshield and dash. I won't start cutting things up until I have it all figured out, and get working on the new chassis.

before03.jpg

22. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Gary Reynolds : As for the back glass, I LIKE the little subtle "hump" in them, you lose that with Lexan.

Haha, Gary, you and I have opposite reactions to that humped up back glass. They always annoyed the piss out of me by not flowing with the roof line of the car. I suppose it was for strength, but it always stabs me in the eye when I see one. ARRRGGH!

23. That ain't Force! It's Oregonian Kenney Goodell!

Just Gary and Donuts & Peelouts like this.
  24. I felt the same way until I owned a 66.it kinda just made sense after a while, I grew to like it!

25. xracer40

xracer40

Around 1985 I was at race where I was pitted at the fence line about 250 ft. from the starting line. There was a guy with barracuda parked beside me. Someone exploded a balancer on the starting line and a 4 in. piece went right through that big rear window of the cuda. I felt sorry for the guy but I was sure glad it didn't hit my Willys or my head!

lewk, loudbang, kiwijeff and 2 others like this.
  26. Wow, looking forward to seeing this come together!

27. Gray Ford

Gray Ford
    from Illinois

:)
    I still can't believe that car is soo clean .....Around here, the sound deadener would have rotted away by now !!

brad2v and Torkwrench like this.
  28. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Squirrel, there is no doubt that someone wants that floor and the rocker panels. You might consider leaving the trunk floor, interior floor w/rocker panels and the firewall all in one piece. Keep your door posts, top of the firewall and whatever bracing was behind the back seat. It could save someone a lot of work piecing it back together. A sheet metal shop could easily fold you up a pair of rocker panels close enough for what you need. Just a thought.

loudbang likes this.