Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The "Arnett AV8 Roadster Build" @Dirtys Speed Shop

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Rusty, Oct 13, 2017.

1. drumyn29

drumyn29

I WANT ONE! gimme gimme gimme

brEad, kidcampbell71 and Rusty like this.
  2. Rusty

Rusty

It’s a ford truck f1-1949-52

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy likes this.
  3. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

4. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Perfect!

Rusty likes this.
  5. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

Rusty likes this.
  6. It is a true late Merc. engine and I ordered a Schneider 59ab 260-F Cam so that I could save on room and use the crab style distributor. Yes you have to run the correct timing gear to match the early cam gear. Thx, David Arnett

brEad and KKrod like this.
  7. Thanks for all the comments on the Roadster. Rusty did a great job bringing this thing to life and adding his special touches with the metal work. I've been interested in period correct hotrods and AV8s for a long time and dreamed of having one. The history of the Chaparrals Dallas roadster club was my inspiration! It is crazy that it all came true. I collected these parts from all over Texas at swap meets and friends back yards. The 29 Roadster was all original and a complete numbers matching roadster out of a barn here in Texas. The Mercury flatty came from Jerry Hopkins in Corsicana and was a all stock merc engine. I also got the 39 tranny w/swan shifter from Jerry. I took the merc flatty to Dave Pluebell in Garland Tx and he worked his magic. I ordered a Schneider 260-F 59ab cam so that I could run the crab style distributor. The engine was bored out to 30 over and was buttoned up with the schneider cam. I then purchased the Navarro intake and heads and the two true 97s from H&H. The engine came out perfect and sounds mean! The 40 rearend came out of Ford pass car in Conroe, Tx and the 32 heavy axle and wishbone came out of a cow pasture near Corsicana, Tx. where it was half buried under ground. Okie Joe dropped the axle. The 40 front brakes came out of Canton, Tx and Conroe, Tx. The fuel tank was a pretty nice old boat gas tank that belonged to me dad, the gauge panel came from a local Texas swap meet, the original Kelsey Hayes bent 40 spoke wheels came from Conroe swap meet. I purchased the original 32 grill shell and insert from a good friend in Dallas, Tx. The '32 shell had been hanging on his garage wall for over 20 years. The BLC headlights also came from the Conroe, Tx swap meet. I am also very proud to say that my fellow Chaparral club brother, the famous Bob Wilson (Wilson Welding/Wilson Brakes), did the machining on my shortened driveshaft. I have always loved the 36 Ford drive shaft lake style pipes so I found an original 36 drive shaft at the Lone Star Round up swap meet. Rusty was able to cut them and mount them just as I wanted. The '39 Ford taillights are originals as well and I found them at the Decatur Swap meet. The license plate light and mount on rear was also a swap meet find (Courtesy of Pecker Head). I was able to find the 40 Ford steering wheel as well to top off the look I wanted. The roadster came together just as I had visioned it.

Thanks again to Rusty Burford at Dirtys Speed Shop for putting up with me during the build and for helping my dream come true.

bct, Rusty, Corsa and 6 others like this.
  8. pecker head

pecker head

I might add that it's sounds as good as it looks. Good job Rusty and David .

Rusty and Cheneyboro Kid like this.
  9. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

This was my favorite car at Pistons and Paint. Dirty's Speed Shop did a killer job on it from A to Z.

Rusty, Cheneyboro Kid and Stogy like this.
  10. Great build and great execution of a traditional roadster. You made it look so easy - love it!

brEad, Rusty and Cheneyboro Kid like this.
  11. Retroline

Retroline

Nice build, really enjoy checking the fab work..

Rusty and Cheneyboro Kid like this.
  12. Rusty

Rusty

Thanks !!

13. Rusty

Rusty

Thanks brotha

pecker head likes this.
  14. Rusty

Rusty

Thanks John I’m trying hard down here lol

15. Silva

Silva

Well done Rusty!

Rusty likes this.
  16. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rusty likes this.
  17. Rusty

Rusty

Thanks

18. Rusty

Rusty

Thanks brotha

19. banjorear

banjorear

Looks great guys. Well done everyone! Quick question: What did you use for a front seat? It looks like a school bus bench peaking out of the top in one of those picts. Reason I ask is I'm in the process of putting together an AV8 and keep going back and forth regarding the front seat.

Rusty likes this.
  20. Crankhole

Crankhole

Perfection.
    Did you need to cut the fan blades down to clear the radiator hoses....or did the custom Walker take care of that problem?

Rusty likes this.
  21. Rusty

Rusty

THe bus seat was just temporary to get to Pistons and Paint Show, the original seat is getting modified and re upholstered

Stogy likes this.
  22. Rusty

Rusty

Yes they were cut down to clear , the walker fill tube added extra problems , the next one I would make sure to move the fill

KKrod and Stogy like this.
  23. Yeah like Rusty said the bus seat I just had sitting around and works until I get the seat built. I am going to have to get a custom foam seat made so it will be at the right height with me in the roadster. Dont want bugs in my teeth!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  24. Nobey

Nobey

The car is well thought out, and looks pimple, and that's hard to do. Great job guys....

Rusty likes this.
  25. Rusty

Rusty

Thanks Nobey, I tried hard

SquintBoy and KKrod like this.
  26. Rusty

Rusty

1947knuck, Stogy, brEad and 7 others like this.
  27. barrnone50

barrnone50
    from texas

Great Pics!!! Great job on this little Roadster The Real Deal!!

Rusty likes this.
  28. Rusty

Rusty

Thanks barrnone50

29. cracker head

cracker head

Neat little roadster, Good job bud.

I’d talk a little shit to #17 about flatheads, but at least he’s got a running hotrod unlike myself....