Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage How could they be so wrong?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by crashfarmer, Nov 29, 2017.

1. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

I already got that one...............

2. “Caveat Emptor. “ I’ve been to hundreds of auctions. It’s up to the guy with the bidder number to know what he’s bidding on.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

biggeorge likes this.
  3. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

No matter how often I see it I'm always surprised at the way people don't have our sense of how old a car is. Most of us can place a car roughly in its decade of manufacture even if we don't know exactly what it is. I don't understand how '70s cars and '40s cars can look alike to people. It's as if they don't even spot the separate-fender v. pontoon-body distinction.

And it's changing. Different things look alike and different things look different to kids these days. On the other hand, all cars made between c.1990 and today are for all intents and purposes the same thing to my eyes.

4. Better have it chained to a tree, I am looking for where you have it stashed...;)

5. 41woodie

41woodie

Years ago I was at an estate auction, the item up for bid was a Lucien Piccard watch, the auctioneer looked at it and said "Hell, I didn't know Packard made watches!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Wow, those cars are rough. They will be lucky to get rid of them. The only car I would consider is the Gremlin....

7. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I'll take that Cornbinder 4x4 pickup!

crashfarmer likes this.
  8. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

I like that one also but it's about 350 miles up there. I wonder how it would work on a U-Haul trailer? I've driven further to get stuff. It's up to $52 right now, I think it'd be worth it but I need another vehicle like I need a hole in my head right now. https://www.k-bid.com/auction/22259/item/63?offset=61

I also like the Scout with the blade on it, that blade would fit right on my 65 and I could have fun blading my driveway in the winter. :) It's a whole $76 right now! https://www.k-bid.com/auction/22259/item/24?offset=22

Part of my driveway in the winter.
    0110101619b.jpg

I also like the KB-5s and the Mercury pickup

Blues4U likes this.
  9. Drew Link

Drew Link

Or a 29 Model T!

Sent from my STV100-3 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. henryj429

henryj429

Whenever I see this stuff, I look at is an opportunity to get some stuff cheap. If the auction company looks like idiots.....not my problem. The Nash interests me, but I already have one. Also, cars without titles are almost useless in Minnesota now.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. SkyDriver

SkyDriver

A few weeks ago I was assisting a friend of mine sell a very nice '38 Ford convertible sedan mild custom at a major auction. The vehicle description and all the literature provided with the car stated the car had a "Carson" top. When the car crossed the block the auctioneer stated at least three times that the car had a custom Carson top. A guy on stage bought the car, but did not contact my friend after it left the stage even though we hung around the car for an hour after the sale. We finally left the auction and headed home. Two days later the buyer called my friend and wanted to know how to fold the top down! When he was told that the top was a "lift off" and did not fold, the buyer got angry and started berating my friend for falsely claiming the car was a convertible. Needless to say my buddy told him that if he didn't know what a Carson top was he shouldn't have bought the car and then hung up.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  12. Kinky6

Kinky6

Damn, if that ain't funny!

czuch likes this.
  13. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Yeah, me and the wife were just talking about that tonight. Everything looks alike, can't tell one jellybean from another without looking at the name tag. No styling anymore, just rounded lumps.

czuch likes this.
  14. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

Last year I was at an auction and they had a trash can full of hubcaps. The auctioneer said just sell the caps for scrap and the can is free. I paid $6 for it , there was 4 Dodge Lancers and 4 57 chevy,some 15 trim rings and some Mopar poverty caps. Oh I kept the trash can for firewood.

czuch likes this.