Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage How could they be so wrong?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by crashfarmer, Nov 29, 2017.

1. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

2. Latigo

Latigo

Cornfield fresh!

Donuts & Peelouts likes this.
  3. Obviously not car-knowledgeable auctioneers.
    At that same auction there is a '55-'56 Chevy truck listed as a 1940's Chevy truck and a 1937 Chevy body listed as 1940.
    "The Collector Has Passed Away. No specific Information Is Available from the Surviving Family Members."
    Sounds like the auctioneer doesn't know and neither does the family. Best guess it is.....

4. eberhama

eberhama

I've been to a lot of auctions where the cars were listed poorly, incorrectly, or not at all. When we approached the various auctioneers about how they could get more people there, and make more money, if the cars were listed correctly. The overwhelming response is "meh, who cares"

lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

At an auction outside of Omaha there was a 32 Model A roadster listed. The guy paid about 6 thousand for a body and was happy happy happy he had a 32. Sombody said, it`s a Model A. Which it was.

Donuts & Peelouts and Clay Belt like this.
  6. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

And won't he be surprized when he orders parts and nothing fits.;):D

7. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

Went to an auction a few years ago at an old truck guys house. Out by the barn were two Ford truck hogsheads, the bellhousing part between the flywheel housing and transmission on heavy duty Ford trucks with the clutch pivot used to mate a modern transmission to a flathead. The auctioneer almost passed by them until I asked him about them. He said, OK, who wants to bid on those wheel waits?”. No one bid and I got them both for $5. Down the line I see another one on a pallet full of scrap metal. I let the scrap dealers bid on the pallet and offered the winning bidder $5 for the one in the pile. Took them home and sold all three for $100 each, not a bad way to spend a Saturday.

You just need to know what you’re looking at.

djr041060 and KoolKat-57 like this.
  8. 34Larry

34Larry

Looks like a good candidate for an acceptable more door hot rod/street rod.

mrbeetle and Donuts & Peelouts like this.
  9. I am waiting for the 32 Ford 3 window to be auctioned off when listed as a 1950 Rambler.

fyi...just dreaming...

10. I see "reputable" dealers that list Coupes as Roadsters, Model A's as '32s and the list goes on and on. You would think they would either know what they are selling or would take the time to do minimal research.:rolleyes:

11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

People have been calling old hot rods "roadsters" for years.

verno30 likes this.
  12. that's some of the best fake patina i have ever seen.

Clay Belt likes this.
  13. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Not taking up for auctioneers, But had one tell one time we are "real estate" people , not car people.
    I won't post the name but there is a Co from mid west that does a good job on listing cars correctly.

czuch likes this.
  14. I like the green on the hood (moss) could use some red maple leafs!:p

15. Don,you know better than that,even the Model A's are sold as 32 Fords. :rolleyes:HRP

56don likes this.
  16. Then there are the ones that list a 1926 Model A.:rolleyes:

Ned Ludd, Speed Gems and Clay Belt like this.
  17. Not too long ago I saw a '50 Ford on an online auction (not that one), it was a two-door sedan described as a coupe. The photos made it kinda hard to tell. I emailed them with 3 days left in the auction and pointed this out. They thanked me for the correction and said they would make every attempt to change the description before the end of the auction. They didn't, and it sold for a price that I would associate with a coupe, not a plain ol' sedan. Gave me a good idea of what kind of company they run.

JasonFields and lothiandon1940 like this.
  18. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

Kind of like the 1940s Pontiac Two Door Coupe listed on this page of the auction:
    https://www.k-bid.com/auction/22259/item/41?offset=39

19. Slopok

Slopok

They probably recognized the SBC in it and therefore just assumed it was a Chevy!:rolleyes:

biggeorge likes this.
  20. It's all junk to them.... I like the Edsel wagon behind that 36 Chevy.....

czuch likes this.
  21. ..................Actually, it's all just money to them.:mad:

CornfieldPerformance likes this.
  22. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

When I was shopping for a '32 5 window, I found everything from T buckets to '37 Ford 4 door sedans listed as "1932 Ford Coupe". Even one pickup!
    SPark

Petejoe likes this.
  23. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Less time spent, is more money made.
    They get a percentage. The owner should have made a list.
    I bought a Snap-on set, 5/16"-1" at an auction listed as, "Old Wrenches".
    They were new, in an old oilcloth. $5.00.

24. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I have parted out and scrapped better vehicles than those. Pretty sure I knew the old hoarde....errr collector that had those.

25. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Remember, these are the same people who say (chorus comes in here) : "Nice dune buggy" whenever they see any hot rod. And they usually mean it!:D

26. And a few 32 Ford's sold as Model A's.....

27. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

You'd think the family would have done well to pay a "car guy" like one of us $100-$200 ( or pay us with a couple of the cars) to spend an afternoon there walking the lot with a clipboard and identifying/evaluating the cars for them with a suggested opening bid point so they would get more $$$ for the items.
    There's an interest here to the auctioneer to also make more $$$ as they take a percentage of the sales. They, however, seem to be interested in spending as little time as possible cataloging and want to blow through the auction as fast as possible.
    That's ok though. I've made my best tool and car part purchases in life buying from non tool/car people!

crashfarmer likes this.
  28. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Love that '46-'48 Chrysler long wheelbase sedan - reminds me of Tex Smith's old "Walter P." I used to read about in Rod Action in the '70s.
    [​IMG]

29. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Alot people who claim they know a lot about cars don`t know much either.

Fordors and Sancho like this.