Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Unearthing a StAr DeStroyer! 1931 Coupe w/394 olds-

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Tuck, Jul 20, 2015.

1. You did that on purpose you rat bastard. We, of course, love it !!! :)

dana barlow, loudbang, D-Russ and 4 others like this.
  2. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

God Damnit Russ... needed a good laugh-!

Ok, ok 392 because the olds needed the extra two cubes to KILL that Chrysler haha

#hemikiller

3. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Just saw your first roadster build in MAD FABRICATORS - Volume Two. 3 days... Really???? You and your buddy Bob Bleed, having a ball - NO DOUBT ABOUT IT! Getting back to this thread - following closely because you are building your '31 with the DRAG COUPE theme. And so am I brother! GREAT build Tuck!!

loudbang, Tuck and vetteguy402 like this.
  4. Lanyard

Lanyard

Tuck. You know, I had 1950

Tuck, You know, I had 1950 Pontiac tail lights in the Bachelors Button, and decided to switch to 1958 Chevy lights. After in stalling, I didn't think I liked them as well, but had to big an opening to put them back. So there they are. Yours are the first ones I have seen since.

p

5. Lanyard

Lanyard

Nice car Tuck! Looks like you have some of the same interests as me. I love the Olds engines. Not many people do anymore. I Gave Cactus1 a "hopped up" 371 Olds I was going to swap out. I would love to see and hear it run someday. I bought it off e-bay, but decided I was getting too old to finish the Bachelors Button and get it running again.

6. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Best obnoxious 60s build thread of all, just look at that body rake and rear fenders! Plus knowing Tuck he is probably close to figuring out how to mount two more 97s with SP tops for a total of 8 atop the 394.
    Crazy Man

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

7. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

@Lanyard you sold it to the right guy... no doubt about it!!! Its cool too that he's so close by too... hope to meet you some day. That way you can borrow it to run to the store and stuff... haha. I think you guys should work out a joint custody deal like you take it one weekend a month. :) :)

Olds motors rule they get better and better as the years go on... I have a 324 in the corner, the 394 in the coupe and a 455 in my boat! I wish I was working on this beast right now but damnit... I'm trying to finish my Roadster! Its working though- making forward momentum on the roadster... but back to Olds motors. The 394 is AMAZING its basically the Arnold Schwarzenegger (body lifting era) version of the 303!

I hope I live to be eighty or better... I really do. For my kids sake mostly and that means more years to enjoy my roadster with them. I wanna drive it until they take my licence away :p

mad mikey, kiwijeff, Jet96 and 9 others like this.
  8. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Hey Tuck, anything new on the Star Destroyer? Enjoy the holidays with your family and friends too!

loudbang likes this.
  9. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Ooooh, check out the pre unit on the lift.
    Hurry up on that convertible chick car so it can get out of the Destroyer’s shop space.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

10. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Sounds like a very good plan Tuck! Will finally check out the roadster build. You certainly have your hands full!

loudbang likes this.
  11. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

So just playing with new tools here... a little sidetracked but nothing major... I cut off the cross over from the stock 394 olds intake. There were two holes missing to run it solo so I milled and drilled both ends and I'm gonna make new bolting surfaces for those two ends... I'll probably braze it together... and then chrome it.

I'm not gonna lie... I LOVE THIS MILL.

Attached Files:

12. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Cool Tuck, please post progress on this.
    I considered doing this on a previous Olds project but ended up fabbing a cross over from scratch.

31chevymike, loudbang and Tuck like this.
  13. 31chevymike

31chevymike

I dig to see much anticipated progress on both your roadster and the Star Destroyer, watching both with enthusiasm!

mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  14. Late to the party, but digging this. Subscribed.

Walt
    Outsiders CC

mad mikey and Tuck like this.
  15. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Hi Walt - Tuck is concentrating on his custom 60's show roadster, which I can guarantee once you check out that build, you will certainly subscribe. Shaping up to be one of the finest builds here on the HAMB. I'm going in a very similar style with my own '31...

IowaMercMan, mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  16. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

IMG_6763.jpeg IMG_6764.jpeg 50857022_2481099541906880_3477580174869336480_n.jpg

Ha. Hopefully this will make some of you dudes smile- :)

I know I should be working on my roadster but I only got sidetracked a little bit.
    I think I got the frame figured out.

Keeping it a stock 104" wheelbase with the engine set back 8" to the back of the carbs.
    I need to extend it 4" and plan to run the t-spring behind.
    3" Z in the back the Tardel way.
    So I'm going to make an adjustable rear spring mount and adjustable ladder bar mount.
    Flat front cross member has the frame sitting at 13" with a 4" drop axle and 5.60 15" wheels.
    I got the stands and mint old Deitz headlights I'll run with the cut-down deuce shell.

#stardestroyerforlife
    Tuck

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

Great time warp photos, it all looks good. Bob

loudbang, 31chevymike and Tuck like this.
  18. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I couldn’t be more excited that you got sidetracked even if only for a moment. I hope you see how bad the dEstroyer is.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

31chevymike and Tuck like this.
  19. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Shits real bad!!! Haha-
    Ok I’ll admit I plan to get sidetracked again in the near future, It just is what it is... but this thing needs to at least roll around ok? it’s just driving me nuts sitting there starring at me with those puppy dog eyes- damnit!!

brad2v, enloe, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  20. bryanyeskie

bryanyeskie
    from Hixton

I wish I had a shop like you

enloe, loudbang, Tuck and 1 other person like this.
  21. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Thanks man- it’s funny I alsways wanted a shop like this too- now that I have it I just want the time to be in it.

It’s a conundrum!

Hope this place and the pics from whithin inspire at the least so more of us build trad rods-!! #hotrodsrule

dana barlow, brad2v, enloe and 8 others like this.
  22. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Yea Man, so cool to see the coupe almost rolling - and agree, it's BAD-ASS!!!! It is a New Year, I'm one of those guys smiling!

23. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I got these killer New old stock Gulf tires from Jonnycola for the front of the destroyer- I’ll mount them on the chrome reverse. They have a really cool looking sidewalk. They’re 5.75 15’s or something close- kind of a weird size not much bigger than the 5.60’s- D037C8C6-D6CB-483D-94E8-3E01DD563549.jpeg

Outback, brEad, Shadow Creek and 13 others like this.
  24. Tuck, just how "old" are those Gulf tires? Reason I ask is a friend bought some red line nos tires that were in dry storage for years, put them on his show vette, drove to PA (300 miles) in the summer and found all four to be coming apart badly. Lucky to have made it there at all. H e replaced them before driving any further.
    I believe NHSTA now states that five years is the limit on tire shelf life. Gulf Oil ceased ops in 1985, was absorbed by Standard Oil in CA that year.....just saying. I know I am anal about these things but hate to see any thing happen down the road.

25. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

They're old as dirt @vtwhead and I totally agree with you, I'm not gonna drive this thing all over with these old tires on it. The rears are even older- old NOS hoosier slicks. I plan to use these to build like what I would compare it to creating a Relic Guitar- those guys that go through a lot of pain to make their old guitars look like authentic used and abused pieces of history if that makes any sense...

brEad, Runnin shine, bowie and 9 others like this.
  26. Tuck, good plan...this anal guy feels a lot better now:D

mad mikey, 31chevymike, enloe and 2 others like this.
  27. 31chevymike

31chevymike

No doubt about it, those front tires are bleeding nostalgia, what do think about these tires for the front of my '31? Along with chrome reverse and my polished Buick style finned drum covers...

My Kelsey Goodyear Custom Super Cushion Tires.jpg

53 hemi, loudbang, cactus1 and 2 others like this.
  28. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Pretty sure that’s what @cactus1 is running on the front of the BB! What size are you thinking? I had a set of these on my shoebox once- really love the sidewall Spears on super cushions-

brad2v, 31chevymike, loudbang and 4 others like this.