Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Almost Funny - AWB Barracuda Funny Car Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Nov 27, 2017.

1. squirrel

squirrel

I got a new car. The plan is to make the next step in the evolution towards the Funny Car. My inspiration is cars like the Pete Dorsey Crazy Cuda

crazy.jpg

and the Sox & Martin car.

sox.jpg

My starting point:

before01.jpg

I decided to get a relatively clean car to start this project, just to save time on bodywork.

Since it's a Plymouth, it really needs a 426 Hemi. Since I want to get it done, I need a use for it, and a deadline, so I intend to get it to Drag Week next September. Time is short!

2. noboD

noboD

But Squirrel, you do know none of your Chevy parts are going to fit.

3. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

loudbang and els like this.

4. silent rick

silent rick

is that what is known as a brand X?

chryslerfan55, Bowtie Coupe and els like this.
  5. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I'm in for a sub. Love to see your stuff coming together.

AmishMike and els like this.
  6. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Oh boy, this is going to be fun! :D:D:D:D

chryslerfan55, redlineracer42 and els like this.
  7. Gavin Tittle

Gavin Tittle

YES! Love the "pre-funny" classes, so glad there is a build of one going on.
    and its a MoPar too, I'm subscribed.

8. Is it going to have the engine in the rear?:D

Dino 64, Clay Belt and els like this.
  9. squirrel

squirrel

No, I was not inspired by Hemi Under Glass.

The plan is a 500ish inch engine, relatively mild as far as cam and compression. With a blower, and some type of gizmo to mix air and fuel (TBD). The race cars back then usually had stack injection, no blower, and they tended to tip the nitro can as needed to put on a show. But I'm building a street car, that needs to run somewhere in the 8s. So it will need to be as light as possible, and be something I can get in and drive as far as I want to.

10. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I can't wait to see it. I'm tuned in.

els likes this.
  11. Cool! What trans?

Dino 64 and els like this.
  12. flatford39

flatford39

That thing even has the original hub caps on it. Pretty clean car.

els likes this.
  13. LAROKE

LAROKE

From the photo, that rear glass appears to be in great shape.

chryslerfan55 and els like this.
  14. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I'm in! This should be a great ride, looking forward to the updates.

chryslerfan55, Dino 64 and els like this.
  15. redo32

redo32

I always had a soft spot for the first series Barracuda. Probably because I used to pass a little ol lady in a pale yellow Formula S. That little 273 had the best exhaust note.

els likes this.
  16. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Wow Wee, this looks like a very cool fish in the making!
    Gotta love those rust free Arizona cars, here in Ohio we get free rust cars!
    Good luck with the build, we'll be watching.
    KK

17. Awesome, can't wait to see it come together!

els likes this.
  18. If you finish a month a head of time, Mopar Nats are in August. :)

19. oldolds

oldolds

As others have said, This is gonna be good! On a side note... Do you have a license for sub 9.00 et's? Some of the requirements will surprise you if you you have not read the rule book. It can get expensive real quick.

20. squirrel

squirrel

thanks!

The transmission....not sure yet. There are several options. I expect I'll want to use a torque converter, because I haven't any experience at all with clutches, and there appears to be a rather steep learning curve when you get over 500 hp, and want to drive it on the street, and go quick on the drag strip. So that means either a Lenco, PowerGlide, TH400, or 727. I know the 400 pretty well, and they don't have the drum explosion problem of the 727. I don't know yet if I need two or three speeds (or if I need overdrive, which I doubt). The World Products aluminum Hemi block has both Chevy and Torqueflite bolt patterns, if I use that block. but they also make lots of different adapters and bellhousings these days, so that's not really a big concern.

21. squirrel

squirrel

I don't have a competition license, and I'm aware of most of the rules. One big change is at 8.50 where you need a funny car cage, which I want to avoid.

I can get a license before the car is finished, if I pay to go to school. Which sounds to me like a reasonable thing to do.

22. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jim,

Wow, a street driven car that will go into the 8's and be driven across the country on a patented "squirrel road trip". I am subscribed and looking forward to seeing how this adventure unfolds. This build will be similar in many ways to a "squirrel road trip"!

Have fun Jim!

Steve

23. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Awesome, Jim! I'm looking forward to following along with this.

els likes this.
  24. oldolds

oldolds

A few friends have cars that are in the 8's. I think they have to get ekg's along with a physical to get the license now. If I understand what they told me a couple years ago, The physical is different from what is required for a CDL, so they had to get a separate one for NHRA as well as ekg. All paid out of pocket. Insurance company would not pay for it. I could be wrong. I am sure others will chime in.

25. squirrel

squirrel

I was talking with a couple old racers this weekend....yeah, this type of racing mostly involves taking $100 bills and lighting them on fire.

26. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

What will happen to the Chevy II? Up for sale to build the war chest up? Just don't break the rear glass on the Barracuda; you'd have to buy another complete car to get a replacement I've heard. At least you did't try to take your wife's Dart! I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

27. Put a BBC in it! They're in everything else and if you never pop the hood who will never know. It will probably go faster cheaper too.

28. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Jim, that's a peach.
    If this car is as neat as the Nova, this should be a blast.

Redo
    In my best Maxwell Smart voice "I came this close" to having a 64 Baracuda for my first car. In 1969, at 15, I'd had my nose in all the car rags lusting after 64, 65 Savoys, Furys, Sport Furys, etc. a number of my h.s. mates had them so I was jazzed about Mopars.
    My mom took me to look for a car and right up front was a white 64 Baracuda (273/auto).
    Went for a test drive and it had a noisy rearend so test drove (and bought) the black 348/3 speed 61 Impala next to it and that ended my infatuation with owning a Mopar.

29. mopacltd

mopacltd

Great talking with you at the International Auto Show this weekend. My Hemi Model A almost caught a vires parked next the Cheby's and a Ford. But my car is kinda confused on what it wants to be.