Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Anyone know anything about this car?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by FNG, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Pete

Pete

That is one bad ass sedan

2. gear jammer

gear jammer
    from tucson az

yes, I layed out the scallops and painted the car in the early 80's, at my shop in west Springfield mass. I don't remember the car being all that nice, I admit though it looked cool as hell.... I didnt do the chop or channel, I got the car on a swap deal, finished up the body work ,put a nose on it stuck a later flat head in it and painted it, sold it to a guy never got paid in full. nice to see its still around, QUOTE="504640, post:12299790, member: 159699"]Thanks for the reply. I don't want to impose on you for something so trivial. I am sure you are as busy as the rest of us! So, you painted the car? I am real impressed with the scallop layout. Do you know you did that? Thanks[/QUOTE]

3. gonzo

gonzo

4. { $ 6500. } Wow, I'm a Hot Rodder who loves customs! But I've never had the money, or skill that it would take to do one. But I would have bought that one in a heartbeat. I hope that a HAMB er got it, or someone that will save it. And I would like to see it put back the way it was. It's a very Kool Kustom. And hope to see it on here, when finished. Ron...

5. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

kool to see a sedan done!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. I just don't get the mentality behind "Won't sell but I'll let it rot".
    Even a yard dog deserves to sleep warm and dry at night.

7. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

For many I’ve always thought as long as the car is there the dream of getting it roadworthy,repairing, or “I’m gonna do that car someday” is alive.
    Sell the car, the dream is over. :(

8. wvenfield

wvenfield

I know a couple people that way. They look at it as it likely is, they would never be able to replace it. I once asked one of them about selling me a junk trinket just to see what they would say. They wouldn't do it.

lothiandon1940 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. Yea, I'm a dreamer, big time, myself. But I'm not blinded to the facts of my circumstances. If I can't realistically go forward with something, I'd like to think I would at least preserve what I had as best I could. I understand the keep it for someday part. The part I don't understand is the let it rot part. I'd never hoard a "collection" on a patch of earth, exposed to the elements.

10. Dan Phillips

Dan Phillips

what a score - it doesn't get too much better than that !

11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Compliments @gear jammer on your hand in the creation of that. I think its the first time most of us here have seen it and it must bust ya a little to see it barely a shadow of its former self. It also brings some not so good memories as you have mentioned. I just see a Artsy Vintage Custom I'd love to have a drive in with a smile a mile wide...and as others have said hopefully the new owner will bring it back to its former glory and do the same.

Please post up some more of your handiwork. Your work seems very fitting here heck your a long time Hamber...to cool. No surprise where some of the influence may have came from.

12. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

That was my thought that it was a '80's custom not a 50's build. You did a nice job on it too bad the bastard skipped away without paying you.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. G. Wyld 714

G. Wyld 714

I bought the pink 52 just got it cleaned up and running. It's for sale if you're interested.

14. G. Wyld 714

G. Wyld 714

It is a hardtop with a fake rag top. It's for sale. Runs great

John B, Too Tall, catdad49 and 2 others like this.
  15. upspirate

upspirate

Thanks, but I didn't like it that much, nor in the market!!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  16. .....................Post up some pics now that you have it running and cleaned up. Thanks.

17. I bet with a good waxing it would be a beauty again. Maybe not car show beauty but definitely nothing to be ashamed of.

Wonder what its got under the hood.

18. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

I knew an old guy in the 1970's that owned a Model A roadster. Bought it new, went to Detroit to pick it up and had the pass they gave him when he toured the factory along with all the other paperwork he had associated with the A. He had never even folded the top and it was original. He told me that he had a lot of offers to sell his car and if he sold it he would just spend the money so then he wouldn't have the car or the money. His car did run and drive but the thing is I respect someones right to do with their possessions as they see fit whether I agree with what they're doing or not, it's their stuff. I also have stuff that I will not sell.

19. I have actually met quite a few guys that keep things because they know that someday they will want it again. It is just the way that people are. This may come as a shock to most people but I always expect people to accept me the way that I am, I suppose that I should offer the same to others.

My pet peeve has always been that car or bike that is just pining away. But what ya gonna do?

catdad49 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  20. cool car, I hate gear jammer didn't get all the money owed on it.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  21. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

While I was working and had money coming in I managed to buy all manner of automotive things with the thought that someday when I'm old and have the time to mess with it I'll have it and a lot of it is sitting outside since I do not have the building space to shed all of it. I've had a lot of people try to buy stuff from me and have been told it's not for sale, most of the time they were offering some low ball figure as if I somehow got all this stuff given to me, I bought it all. :D Occasionally I did run across somebody that did offer good money for something and I have parted with things on those occasions as long as it was something that I didn't have definite plans for. I have a reputation given to me from the lowballers of being an asshole that won't sell anything.

Now that someday has come for me and I have time and all this stuff to play with but no money. I won't need much money because I thought ahead and bought cars and parts when I had money coming in, I will need some but not like I would if I'd never bought all this stuff.

My brother and best friend also have the same reputation as me. Neither one has the tolerance for dealing with people that I do, they just don't want to hear the low ball offers and would just as soon be left alone. When you own a bunch of stuff out in the country somehow these idiots get the idea that you have to sell them stuff at extremely discounted prices and get all pissed off when you tell them to fly. My brother and friend would just as soon let it all rot into the ground then sell stuff for cheap.

22. Nobey

Nobey

I would never do this to my 39, but I actually like this car. Be nice to drive around in.
    The V butted windshield gives it away as an 80's build.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  23. RidingMechanic

RidingMechanic
    from Cincinnati

does anyone have a link to the auction? I'm from OH and am usually on top of these things but this one didn't seem to be well advertised. Just curious what else was at the sale.

24. RidingMechanic

RidingMechanic
    from Cincinnati

25. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't think I'll ever sell any of my cars, but they are all inside and well-cared for. Why someone would let something deteriorate when it would benefit by a change of ownership is the epitome of selfishness and stupidity to me. I am aware of the world out there and how prevalent those characteristics are these days, though!

26. Knghtcadi

Knghtcadi

You have some after pics and more info ?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I can just imagine loving cars and collecting more than a few. When you have more than you can handle and care for. So you list a few in the classifieds and everybody lowballs you. You get pissed off and give up. Just ask anybody on the HAMB what a car is worth. You get everybodys opinions on how to buy a car CHEAP. Cash talks or I walk. It would not be easy to sell a car you loved so much. Then somebody insults you, like a blow to the gut. Like it dosen`t hurt already. Read my signature below. Then someone uses this thread to advertise a car he bought at this auction to make a quick buck. Use the classifieds, that is what it is for. Just remember, a family member will see this and will get mixed emotions reading this.

crashfarmer, Sancho and The37Kid like this.
  28. els

els

I know about that car, I KNOW ITS A BADDASS FIND. lol. very cool car. wash it and drive it.

29. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I did not realize the Hirohata Merc was built in the 80's; I always thought it was built in 1951
    [​IMG]
    HIROHATA MERC

Designed and built in 1951 for Robert Hirohata by George and Sam Barris. Started as that year’s Mercury Club Coupe. The top was chopped with all removable post, sides, top, etc. These were blended into the areas of the vehicle. Unique curved hand formed frames were built to house all side glass.

The slanted fast back top design has a canted back glass and V-buttoned windshields. Front Ford headlight rims and Lincoln tail lights were blended into the fenders. Grille shell as molded together into one piece with unique floating center piece. Bumper and pans were smoothed out to fit front and rear side body panels which flowed into functional rear fender air scoops with flush formed fitted flare rear skirts. All doors, hood, trunk corners were rounded. Interior was stitched in tuck and rolled naugahyde with two tone colors.

Dash had multi colored hand made plastic knobs. Matching paint color was blended into dash and chrome garnish moldings were reinstalled. Dual traditional appelton spotlights came through posts. Finished with 30 coats of hand rubbed high luster nitro lacquer paint in foam green and organic toners.

30. The HellyDid

The HellyDid
    from Florida

Cool story, and cars....watching this one