Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1934 Chevy hot rod time capsule

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Keepat, Nov 1, 2017.

1. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Man I bet that things was a screamer!! Great car and please continue to keep us all updated.

2. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Nice , but those rims are from the 70s. I would look at the old photos to see what type of rims it previously had. AND FORGET ABOUT THAT DAMN MOPAR!

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. Keepat

Keepat

That would be like telling the guy that built this 34 Hot Rod back in the late 50s and 60s to stop working on it and fix up an old horse and buggy 1st! Not going to happen ;-)

Pat

4. 39 Aaron NZ

39 Aaron NZ

Well said Pat. HotRodding is about HotRodding not restoration. And this car is now yours to get on the road while respecting the last owner, I'm looking forward to watch your progress. Cheers Aaron.

Sent from my SM-G360G using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Keepat likes this.
  5. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

I'm impressed that he had greasable pivots on the ladder bars and actually greased them!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. Keepat

Keepat

IMG_9965.JPG Removed the passenger side valve cover. Engine looks to have a solid lifter cam and a fair amount of lift judging by the compression of one of the springs. Very clean inside.

Attached Files:

7. Keepat

Keepat

IMG_9988.JPG IMG_9989.JPG The car came with front caliper rebuild kits by Hurst Airheart not sure if the rubber O-rings are any good but I'd like to send these calipers and parts out to be sleeved and restored. Welcome any suggestions on where to ship them?
    Thank you
    Pat

catdad49, 4ever18, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  8. Adjustables, cool! Why aren't there any springs between the rocker arms???

9. Keepat

Keepat

I'm not sure, I wondered the same thing when I pull the valve cover off. Maybe one of the Oldsmobile Guruge can chime in on why it should or shouldn't have the shaft springs?
    Thanks
    Pat

cactus1 likes this.
  10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

very cool car.... except for the Ford front suspension.o_Oo_O

11. madmike3434

madmike3434

What you have is a 1934 Chevrolet MASTER SERIES DA , the grill trim ring fits only the 34 master, as its longer than the 34 STANDARD SERIES..

The 34 master outsold the standard by 7 to one, so theres a lot of 34 masters out there for parts. You see these trim rings appear on ebay fairly regularly. Buy the BEST ONE you can find, makes it less costly to replate

mike lynch

Motor is most likely a 1964 olds 425 by the valve covers. The 371--394 olds used 2 bolts thru the top only, I believe.

12. Keepat

Keepat

I met with a few family members of Sonny Willett, the builder of this 1934 Chevrolet Olds powered hot rod back in the early 60s. They stop by to see the car as they have not seen it many years.

They told me that Sonny bought a 1961 Olds 88 less than a year old and proceeded to remove the engine and transmission from it and installed a salvage engine and transmission in the 88, just to turn around and sell the car so that he would have a new Oldsmobile 394 engine for his 34 Chevy. His brother and father thought he was crazy. We estimate that the engine may have less than 20,000 miles on it.

They also said that a lot of the work was done at some local airport in MD in a hanger some car club shared at the time. I hope to get more information on this car club including the name of the club.

The item that I’ve been most intrigued about is the custom headers that Sonny made as it looks like he would’ve made 100 sets based on the quality of this one set which is apparently all he ever made. Well it turns out that Herb Gebler of Herb Gebler Headers which had just recently opened or possibly prior to his business opening helped Sonny make these headers. Herb Gebler manufactured a lot of custom headers for racers all over but his biggest customer was none other than Richard Petty.

Still more details and information to get the total history on this car but apparently the family has found a few photos which I hope to get soon and will post
    Thanks
    Pat

catdad49, kiwijeff, rjones35 and 10 others like this.
  13. My '57 371 has perimeter bolts on the valve covers.

loudbang likes this.
  14. Keepat

Keepat

I got few picture from back in the 1960 of the car the 1st pic is about 1965 then 3 from 1967 and 1 from 1968/9

Thanks

Pat

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Scooterville, slv63, Hank37 and 18 others like this.
  15. ......................That was the Prince George's Kustoms. Their club house was in a hangar off of Queens Chapel Rd. in Hyattsville near the Mighty Mo restaurant.

16. Keepat

Keepat

Awesome info! another lead to follow up on.
    Thank you!
    Pat

loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  17. ...............................Check out the threads on here for Aquasco, Mighty Mo and Fire at the P.G. Kustoms clubhouse. You'll find lots of great info about that time period and some of the guys who knew Sonny...............Don.

18. All of those threads are near the top right now or you can use the search function (the little magnifying glass up top) to find them later.:)

FortyNiner and Stogy like this.
  19. Tommy Mills who passed last January was good friends with and in the same club with Sonny. 11262017.jpg

20. Thank you for sharing..great find..should be loads of fun!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

lothiandon1940 and Keepat like this.
  21. belair

belair

Congratulations. Great score.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  22. Yep....thinking the wheels in the last pics will pass......great save !

loudbang likes this.
  23. Nice find, welcome to the HAMB. I find those stories interesting, hope you keep posting your progress.

24. Oh man please make it look like that last set of pics!

loudbang, catdad49 and Dick Stevens like this.
  25. catdad49

catdad49

Yep, one of the first "old" cars I remember seeing. I actually was able to check it out quite thoroughly as it sat not to far from my house out behind our neighbor's filling station. Still really complete and in decent shape, but I was a little young at time. Oh Well, but I still have a soft spot for these Stovebolt sedans. Keep it simple and enjoy!

26. .....................................Where was that? Did you live in the area when you were a youngster?

lothianwilly71 and loudbang like this.
  27. catdad49

catdad49

Lothiandan, sorry for the confusion. It was Not this car, but a similar sedan. If it was this one, I may have tried to make some kind of deal with my parents (guess I'm Still dreaming)!!

28. raymay

raymay

Good score. Hopefully sitting in that shed did not do too much damage to the wood. Always liked the early 30's Chevy cars but eventually fell in love with the Harley Earl inspired 37 Chevy body style which was the first year of the all steel. I have had several of them including my current Sedan I built over 30 years ago.
    With the straight axle my first Coupe was rough handling on expressway driving. Ended up using a truck steering stabilizer which did help some. Yours almost has a cool Gasser look. If you are searching for ideas, I think those 5 spoke mags would really look good on your 34.
    Good luck and have fun with that gem.

scan0047.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  29. Keepat

Keepat

No rust and no wood rot! Even the original wood floor are perfict! And I will definitely be putting the supreme mag wheels back on.
    Thanks
    Pat