Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects I Just Bought a Hot Rod Model A Roadster That Was Built In 1959...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by cactus1, Jun 7, 2017.

1. 31chevymike

31chevymike

cactus1 likes this.
  2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You'll have to do that on your Chevy...:p

And I like the detailing on your period pliers...;)

Electric fuel pumps from so far back (pretty nice little unit and you found ink on it to boot)...and the ole water pump looks NOS now and it's working...the countdown is on yeehaw!

Hey I found a special speedster and I posted it awhile back in the homogenized thread and mentioned you in the post because it would connect with you did you see it? I can't share post on mobile...it's the Ossie Cranston post on page 41...;)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  3. There are remnants of some 3/8" copper line connected to some rubber of the same size. Lanny told me that after he pulled the tank out of the rumble seat area to build a new one he used a boat tank to be able to move it around. I have an old Mercruiser tank that I've been cleaning up that was my dad's. I plan on using it for the maiden voyage and until I decide what I want to do for a more permanent solution.

Ha! There is a little wood left in the old Chevy!

The pliers I bedazzled several years ago along with my favorite lineman's pliers. I wondered if anyone would comment, ha!

I may have missed the speedster? I'll have to go take a look!

*EDIT- Oh man that Cactus car is great @Stogy! I missed it before. Thanks for the heads-up!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    loudbang, 31chevymike and Stogy like this.
  4. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

Sounds like fun to me !!

loudbang, 31chevymike and cactus1 like this.
  5. 3blapcam

3blapcam

One of those SW fuel pumps came in the trunk of my '32. Also 6V and I hit it with 12V and it pumped! I was surprised as it was pretty grungy! I just hit it twice to verify it functioned. That's always fun stuff...

Keep the updates coming!

3blap.

cactus1, loudbang and 31chevymike like this.
  6. Lanyard

Lanyard

Alternator was not standard on the car. But when I saw them in 1962, I thought they were cool and had to have one, so I took the generator off and put this alternator on.

brad2v, cactus1, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  7. Lanyard

Lanyard

Those are what they call "port a walls"! I put the white walls on one side, and the portawalls on the other. Time has taken it's toll, and the portawalls are starting to dry out.

brad2v, cactus1, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  8. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Dual wide white walls in my opinion is the ultimate pre '64 look on a non and cycle fendered hot rod. PERIOD. I've been searching for years, found them on eBay. $500 a tire was a bit steep, you think? Then the seller disappeared off the face of our planet.

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

brad2v and cactus1 like this.
  9. Lanyard

Lanyard

Mike, I think that radiator was from a Packard. I never had a heating problem with it. I used to take the plugs out at night when out in the country doing "grudge" drags on the old State street road, West of Salina.That baby would spit fire out the ends! The weak part of the car was the transmission. I think I went through four or five. The torque will crack in front, where the shaft comes through, allowing the shaft to flex enough, that it shaves the second gears off. I also went through a couple axle keys. I was young, and didn't know how to respect her. But it was fun!

10. 31chevymike

31chevymike

brad2v, Tim, cactus1 and 1 other person like this.
  11. 3blapcam

3blapcam

Quote of the day!!! ;)

12. :D:D:Dpriceless!

31chevymike, cactus1 and loudbang like this.
  13. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Yes that's what I found on the radiator origin as well. I'm glad to hear it's up to the task (well 50 years ago anyway, ha!)

Man , what a vivid picture painted from one simple sentence! I love it!!

It's funny you mention the trans, as I was cleaning it out I noticed it has been repaired at the front of the case, haha! I can't promise it will be the last time though I will try to behave myself! :D

I've been figuring out the throttle linkage and am trying to use as much as I can of what was already in place. Pics to come!

14. Ok while I digest from our first Thanksgiving meal I figured I’d use my in law’s WiFi to post some pics.

Here is the fuel pump re-installed with its new filter access from below.
    3D56E462-A8A9-4E76-B7B9-A19344B33670.jpeg

I added a fuel pressure gauge to the block via some brass fittings. I darkened them up so they don’t stick out like a sore thumb. I’m looking for a more vintage (MOON?) direct mount gauge if anyone has one to let go? (The other plugs will be replaced as I add carbs of course!)
    ECEB505D-CC6D-4355-B655-39952392E981.jpeg

This chromed lever mounts to the firewall and connects the gas pedal to the carb linkage. I’m not sure if it was used when the engine ran the stock four barrel or was added to make the change over to the tri-power? Maybe @Lanyard can fill us in?
    5F9038DE-FB83-4516-956A-1EC4DEDD1659.jpeg

I did some mock-ups with some heims and bolts I had.
    14DA3F8D-D511-47B7-A9F6-22F51263FCEB.jpeg

E2CBDF99-27DE-4B1A-9CA9-A36933210A57.jpeg

Once satisfied with the length I did some cut and paste.

ACEB1C9A-A321-43BF-95FD-488B07481515.jpeg

69D59EB4-8575-47CA-9429-B59BC77876AB.jpeg

I also had this stock Model A pedal and part of the linkage I cut from the Levee Leveler.
    8EF5899F-EBBD-4C38-A3A5-A20266B0961E.jpeg
    Some more cut and paste and this will attach through the firewall to the low end of the chromed bar via another heim joint.
    37129407-5B14-4955-BB88-3A59B24354AF.jpeg

Here it is in action....
    https://instagram.com/p/Bb2PB-Kggmx/

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  15. 31chevymike

31chevymike

GREAT job on the linkage Mike - operating smooth as silk from where I'm sitting! Where in God's name did you get those blue fuel lines? I thought we can only buy RED lines which I was running on my 6-two setup a number of years back.

loudbang and Paul like this.
  16. Thanks Mike! Those fuel lines have been on there since 1963? I don’t think they ever had fuel in them??? I have since found a source for some replacement line that is very close in color! I’ll have to look to see from where it came. Some snowmobile place I think?

loudbang and 31chevymike like this.
  17. 31chevymike

31chevymike

After all of those years with no fuel in them? What are the odds? Even more so that they're not brittle and from the condition of them, that you can run them today... As far as a vintage fuel block, you're thinking a Moon or Offy, Eelco, etc?

loudbang likes this.
  18. @31chevymike Pretty incredible on the fuel lines right? I don’t expect them to last too long with our new gas though so I figured I had better be prepared.

The fuel block shown is the one that has been on it. I can’t find a name on it. I would just like to find a more vintage pressure gauge to mount rather than the Mr Gasket one I put on it for now. You can get the Moon gauges new but they don’t have quite the same look!

This is one in the ‘63 MOON catalog.
    361808D5-998F-4DA8-BEBD-27EC68ECE4FD.jpeg
    This is what is available now.
    60146F7E-FF4F-4547-9161-586F30B5EFA1.png

19. 31chevymike

31chevymike

I love the Mooneyes speed equipment till death, but I do not care for the new Japanese logo like you've shown here. If any Mooneyes equipment is on my car which always will, it's got to have the vintage logo on the part or it does NOT get mounted. Try finding a Stewart Warner gauge which would be ideal to match your vintage SW fuel pump.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
    loudbang likes this.
  20. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Mike I think Ricky has some blue lines on one of his bikes, he may have local source for ya.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    cactus1, loudbang and 31chevymike like this.
  21. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Mike, take a look at this Stewart Warner (WINGS) liquid filled fuel pressure gauge on eBay with this title: STEWART WARNER WINGS FUEL / GAS PRESSURE GAUGE UP TO 15LB BLACK LIQUID FILLED and is reasonably priced at $40 buy it now.

brad2v and loudbang like this.
  22. I bought a 50' roll as soon as I found it a couple of months ago. I guess I wasn't clear? But thanks!

Hey that never showed itself in my searches! There aren't many vintage looking direct mount gauges out there. I like that one. Thanks for the heads up!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    loudbang, 31chevymike and Tim like this.
  23. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Well then you should be good for at least a couple of tanks ;)

24. @Tim Yes! I may go into the 3/8" blue fuel line export business!:D

Woogeroo, loudbang, brad2v and 2 others like this.
  25. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Just run the clear hoses, and VP C23 blue racing fuel!

Jet96, loudbang, Countn'Carbs and 5 others like this.
  26. Ha! Now there’s an idea!!

loudbang and 31chevymike like this.
  27. With good weather and a long weekend ahead I made a huge push on the roadster trying to tie up some loose ends. I ran a new hard line from the fuel pump to the trunk and adapted some hose to the temporary boat tank.

image.jpeg

I also tidied up some wiring and wired up the brake lights with some stuff I had leftover from my truck build.

image.jpeg

Lastly, in an effort to drive it by the end of the long weekend I brazed up a couple of fittings and made some 20ga steel block-off plates for the two end carbs. Past experience has taught me that getting the 3 carbs to work together will take some finessing so rather than get frustrated I chose to just deal with the center carb for now. But, it looks cooler to have all 3 mounted!

image.jpeg

I made a few final checks. I put her back down on the ground and nervously torqued the rear axle nuts to about 170lbs by the time it was all said and done and then...

https://instagram.com/p/Bb-jDFRAEJP/

28. It's alive!

cactus1 and 31chevymike like this.
  29. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

RIGHT ON ! ! !
    Watching the BB move literally gave me chills and I can only imagine how excited you are!! This is so good in so many ways. CONGRATULATIONS Mike!!!

cactus1 and 31chevymike like this.