Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 6 banger gurus out there?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mbrede, Nov 21, 2017.

1. mbrede

mbrede
    from Minnesota

Was told this came from a 50's Chevy truck. I think 1953 with a powerglide were the first for the full pressure oil system. Any gurus out there about to tell WTF this came from based on these numbers?

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

you are correct about '53 235/PG being the first of the full pressure lube engines. Look at the passenger side of the engine. If the tin side cover goes all the way up to the top of the head, it's a 216.
    If the the tin cover stops at the block/head joint it's a 235......though maybe a dipper system.

The driver side of the engine at the center bottom is a telltale for dipper or pressure lube....but I forget which is which.

loudbang likes this.
  3. mbrede

mbrede
    from Minnesota

How does one tell if the engine is a dipper vs pressurized by looking at the engine?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang likes this.
  4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Only 235's were ever full pressure engines....the reason I explained how to tell a 216 from a 235 in above post. If it's a 216 it is definitely not a full pressure engine. If a 235, it MAY be a full pressure model. That is where the left side comes in.....and the part I can't quite remember the configuration ...

I'll see if I can find it and repost.........perhaps someone else will chime in before that.

loudbang likes this.

5. squirrel

squirrel

something about a pressure valve cover on the side of the block if it's a dipper? but I forget.

Does that say LAA on the engine stamping?

if so, that makes it a 1953 235 manual trans engine, which should be a dipper

leadfootloon and mbrede like this.
  6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Okay...I think I got it......on the left side, bottom of the block along the pan line....If there is a kidney shaped tin cover with three screws and a small looping tube...it IS NOT a full pressure engine..it's a dipper system. Absent the above, it's a full pressure model.

leadfootloon, loudbang and mbrede like this.
  7. mbrede

mbrede
    from Minnesota

It does say LAA on the stamping. I'll take a closer look to verify the above information. Thanks fellas.

8. squirrel

squirrel

it's been 40 years since I overhauled one of that particular type :)

mbrede likes this.
  9. Kinky6

Kinky6

Search for : Inliners International website. On the left side of their home page is a tab for a list of block and head numbers. Use the last six digits for the pics you posted. Look for casting # on head also, near #2 cylinder on driver's side. K6

mbrede likes this.
  10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am pretty sure that pressure oil 235 engines in 53 only came in cars with the powerglide. Trucks didn't get an automatic until 54 and then it was a hydromatic 3 speed. I learned to drive in one.

Hnstray and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  11. mbrede

mbrede
    from Minnesota

Pretty sure this a 53 truck engine like Squirrel thought

12. Terrible80

Terrible80

I vaguely remember that you can convert a copper to pressure fairly easily. Correct?

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. Terrible80

Terrible80

14. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I'm thinking that would require drilling the crankshaft throws from the rod journals to the mains journals......not what I would call easy, unless a 235 pressure lube crank fits a 216 dipper engine. Either way, there would be additional mods to make and it seems easier to just obtain a pressure lube engine as they are fairly easy to find.

Ray

15. Terrible80

Terrible80

I was thinking 235 dipper to 235 pressure, but probably cost as much as rebuilding a pressure motor so probably not a lot to gain.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sell it and get any GMC, all pressure engines and better all overall even the lowly 228"

Hnstray likes this.
  17. 216/ Non pressure 235 left side
    [​IMG] upload_2017-11-22_16-13-4.jpeg upload_2017-11-22_16-14-0.jpeg

mbrede likes this.
  18. mbrede

mbrede
    from Minnesota

Thanks Rob, that'll help

19. 216/ Non pressure 235 Side cover (Right side)[​IMG] [​IMG]

Full pressure 235/261
    [​IMG]

belair likes this.
  20. As has been stated the left side of the engine will have a tin “kidney” that’s a dipper engine
    A dipper can be converted to pressure piling but it’s pricey
    Pull the oil pan to know for sure , engines can always be swapped and the 235 is as common as toast bread with breakfast.
    Great engines, a little pricey to built but reliable and cheap to keep running !

mbrede likes this.
  21. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

As I understand your post, it says the 216 and non-pressure 235 both have the tall tin side cover (goes to the top of the head). In my experience, that is incorrect. I believe ALL 235 engines regardless of oiling system, from at least 1950 models, if not before, have the short tin side cover (stops at top edge of block).

Ray

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  22. I avoid the not pressure six like the plague, I thought it was all the non pressure engines had the tall side covers. I know there was a 53/53 Chevrolet firetruck (dual rear wheels) in town it had a 235 with a tall side cover.

@'Mo could answer this question

Side note the Sun tach sending unit off the fire truck is now on my 53 Chevrolet 150.

mbrede likes this.
  23. 'Mo

'Mo

As stated, the driver side 3-bolt 'Kidney -bean' is a sure indicator of of a dipper motor.
    All Chevy 235's 1950 and later had the short side cover.
    The pressurized 235 was introduced in 1953 (P.G only).

BTW, The dipper motors have cast iron pistons, and can be made much more reliable when converted to aluminum pistons. Later 235 pistons are inexpensive, and a direct replacement. (They will also work in a 216 with .060" overbore.)
    Re-balancing the motor will not be necessary.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
    belair, Robert J. Palmer and mbrede like this.
  24. mbrede

mbrede
    from Minnesota

Anyone know if the 1953 PG 235 had 2 center valve cover bolts, or the standard 4 hole perimeter arrangement?

25. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

All '53 235's had the two bolt valve cover. 4 bolt perimeter covers started in '54

Ray

mbrede likes this.
  26. mbrede

mbrede
    from Minnesota

Good to know Ray. Thanks for the input