Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Edelbrock slingshot

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WTF really, Nov 21, 2017.

1. WTF really

WTF really

So I just found out about these intakes. I read there's only one hundred of them made. If this is true are they numbered? Do they have a serial number? At this low of production they must bring high dollar? Oh and is there a registry for them? I wonder is all are owned by hambers?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  2. WTF really

WTF really

3. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can't answer your question about the serial numbers but I'd be surprised if they did. The few originals (supposedly) I have seen for sale were for big money. I think I saw 1 on the web somewhere not to long ago for $1800! :eek:

4. Edelbrock repops them now if someone wants to use one and can’t find an original

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

5. WTF really

WTF really

Ok cool thanks. I just figured something that rare would start being recorded a long time ago.

6. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

I have seen a few and was told they were original but the one may have been but the other was a newer one. So be careful when looking for vintage equipment

7. WTF really

WTF really

I believe I have a original. So I'm saying mine is #1 so only 99 left to record lol.

8. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

As far as I know there is no registry, or records of who has what, for any flathead intake manifold ever produced. Yes, Vic Edelbrock did make about 100 slingshot intakes give or take, but I wouldn't consider them rare. They are scarce, however an original Edelbrock slingshot intake keeps showing up for sale on a regular basis either on the classifieds here, or on ebay. If you really want one and have the money, I'm sure you could own an original slingshot in a short amount of time. The slingshot I have has no number on it, and any other slingshot intakes I have looked at over the years didn't have any number engraved on them either. Some intakes may have been numbered but I have never seen one.

9. WTF really

WTF really

10. IMG_0297.JPG Having owned 2 original slingshots(original castings are MUCH smoother, "new" slingshots are much more grainy and have the Edelbrock badge affixed to the intake) The slingshot is among the better horsepower producers and is 18 h.p. better than the anemic Thickstun.

continentaljohn and WTF really like this.
  11. WTF really

WTF really

So does mine look original?

12. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

Your slingshot was made by Vic Edelbrock. 100%original!

WTF really likes this.
  13. Hollister Kopp

Hollister Kopp

Why, why, why do they not make a slingshot for the 8BA? I'd buy one if they did.

14. Nobey

Nobey

I have an original, had it sense 1960, it has 100 & Bob stamped on it. You can buy one from Speedway.....

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  15. WTF really

WTF really

I have #1 and you have 100 now we just need to find the other 98. Lol flathead Bob can pick a number. That's 3 so far in the HAMB

16. V8RPU

V8RPU
    from Nor Cal

I think the figure of 100 is something of an urban myth. I have seen quite a few of them. I currently have two on running cars and have had 3 others. That would mean I have owned 5% of the total made.

slv63 likes this.
  17. WTF really

WTF really

Wow that's awesome you have that many. Let just see how many we can find on here. We are up to 8 now.

18. Nobey

Nobey

I saw an original one for sale on the Ford Barn yesterday. $1,800.

19. WTF really

WTF really

Wow I can see that with such low production and the awesome history behind them.

20. I have an original. Haven't been able to find a number (yet).

21. WTF really

WTF really

From everything I've read they were never numbered. I just self proclaimed mine as number one lol. But you are number 9 in owned by hambers.

22. I may stamp 9/100 on it.:rolleyes::p

kadillackid likes this.
  23. WTF really

WTF really

Awesome love it

24. joe1932

joe1932
    from NY

I have 2 originals. neither have a number. Just scars from a lifetime of use. Joe

WTF really likes this.
  25. WTF really

WTF really

Your 2 makes 11 so far found on here.

26. Bursonaw

Bursonaw

You can use this intake on an 8BA, you just have to change over to an older style oil filler tube that has the breather and fuel pump mount in one unit. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. WTF really

WTF really

That's a very nice looking engine right there.

28. Bursonaw

Bursonaw

I have started installing a slingshot on my 8BA. There were a couple obstacles that I encountered.

1. I had to grind a part of the casting on the underside of the manifold that was hitting the oil vent tube inside the block. I don’t have a picture of where I ground the manifold, but it was about 1/8”, just match up the gasket and it should be obvious.
    [​IMG]

2. The tracks in the front of the manifold for the generator mount are about .010 to narrow. I had to file the tracks out to fit the generator properly. Unfortunately I did not discover this until I already torqued the manifold down. I was able to file the tracks mounted on the engine, but it would have been better if the manifold was removed. I don’t know if an original manifold has the same issue as the new ones.

Here is a picture of where I finished up today. I still have to fab up the fuel lines and the linkages.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

alanp561 likes this.
  29. WTF really

WTF really

N
    Nice looking engine you have there.

Bursonaw likes this.
  30. There was a slingshot for sale at Hershey in 1974. I tried to make a deal with the seller, but he would not sell it for less than his $75 asking price. I thought that was too high, so I walked away.