Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 32 grills on EBAY any good?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by edcj7, Nov 21, 2017.

1. edcj7

edcj7

Just wondering if anyone has bought one of the new 32 grills that are for sale on EBAY and if so are they any good?

2. $um Fun

$um Fun
    from Nor Cal

I bought a cheap steel one and the top was all wavy, ended up selling at a swap meet for beer money. In my opinion they are junk. Try and find an original, even one that needs work and fix it.

chop job and WiredSpider like this.
  3. JimSibley

JimSibley

I have used them. Good for a driver, with a little work. Great for patches to repair a real one, but you get what you pay for.

biggeorge likes this.
  4. edcj7

edcj7

Thats what I figured. I was just hoping they would be good especially for the price. Thanks for the replies!

5. banjorear

banjorear

I bought one off of Fordbarn for $125 shipped. Light weight steel, wavy as sides, bad punching to the holes in the bottom. Haven't decided what I'm going to do with it, but it's not Brookville or OEM to say the least. Should have know at that price. It will be for sale at Hershey 2018, LOL!

Emperor Chris likes this.
  6. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I bought a Vintique when they first came out and it was fine except the filler hole was off center. I decided to fill it to fix the problem and used it on a steel roadster with a Dales insert which fit great. Since then I've bough a few from Gearhead and the quality is steadily going down hill as the dies get older. I still like originals and am currently hoarding 8.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Grill shell or insert?
    Less than perfect shells can be fixed for the most part but those budget priced (read cheap) inserts are made out of much thinner stock and also are not as dimensionally accurate as say the ones from Dales Mfg. in OKC.
    My first one (Chinese), did not fit my Brookville shell, returned it, for $100 more got a Dales, it fit perfectly.

8. I got my grill and insert from an eBay seller a few years ago. They where dirt cheap. They fit well and I've had no issues.
    20160725_151224.jpg

9. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A buddy had what I believe to be a vintique repro shell and the filler hole was offset . So he cut it out and put it where it should be, no filling just a shift to the centre.
    As far as inserts go he made his own super cool winters type insert with stainless accents. He calls it and Autum grill / not quite winters!! No pics till the car is fully done by request.
    I had what I thought was a repro stainless insert in our 32 with original surround but the poor quality insert went rusty in 4 years , junk quality Chinese imitation stainless.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    Stogy likes this.
  10. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

When I was building my deuce roadster I ordered a repo grill from Brookville. I also was using a Dan Fink insert. When I received the first shell the insert wasn't close. I sent it back and got another. The insert didn't fit that one ether. Saved my money and purchased an original shell and the Dan Fink insert fit like it was made by Henry.

11. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I bought a cheapo Chinese one as a stand in until I can fix an original I have.

It's got press scuff marks, the filled radiator hole area is high and peaked and the stamped edges are off.

I'm chopping it 3" to suit my car and will cut the gross stamped edges and rework the high area so it "flows".

Honestly it's not too bad to work with for $107 shipped but it's not something I'd bolt on and expect perfection.

12. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

The generic grills are really hit and miss online some are pretty good and some the bars basically are falling out in the box already but they look the same in the pictures!

13. banjorear

banjorear

Ah, good way to look at it. For $125 shipped, I shouldn't expect bolt on perfection. I will be looking for an original one this year.

14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Just a FYI.
    The fitment issues with the repro shells and inserts have plagued deuce owners since these parts first started being offered.
    One problem I had with my first insert was it was just too tight to even get it in place to check the fit. The other problem was the general chintzy feel of the grill bars, so flimsy that I'm sure it would have played the Chinese national anthem driving down the road.
    If you have plans on just primering the repro shell, you (may) find it acceptable as you can touch it up fairly easily if some paint gets scraped off when installing the insert.

15. 28TudorAZ

28TudorAZ

I just bought one about a month ago. There are some lines in it but it will take very little body filler to fix it. Not bad in my opinion for the money. I will end up doing it this week when my mixed paint gets here. NewFront.jpg

16. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Just bought a pre-fitted shell and insert from Brookville. Really happy with it.
    SPark

Grilleshell1.jpg Grilleshell2.jpg Grilleshell3.jpg

kiwijeff and Stogy like this.
  17. I have one, and the boxing couldn't be any plainer than saying made in China, even if it does say that.... Has a picture of a grill. No names/no info...... But shit you not, it's perfect without any flaws, and fit's perfectly in my Brookie shell....
    Plating/fitment/casting.....Nothing like the real thing though..... I guess im' one of the "hit's", instead of a "miss"....

18. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

image.jpeg I have had a few shells and they are all over the place in quality. I had a few that didn't look like 32 shells at all too skinny wrong shape but good for parts. The price is about as crazy as the quality a Hunnert to 200. This is the last one I got and wasn't too bad

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    kiwijeff and Stogy like this.
  19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No photo but I bought a Brookville Blem 32 shell through Kenny's rod shop on Ebay for 205 about a Month ago on Ebay. It has some scratches from some foreign material on the dies when it was stamped but is otherwise damned nice. I've probably got an extra half hour of work to get it up to the really nice level.

20. InstantT

InstantT
    from SoCal

Buddy just bought a chinese repop at the swap. It's going on a fenderless T with drawer pull insert so we're not worried about it. It looked nice enough for $120.
    If you're putting it in a 32, I might spring for the higher quality so it looks right.

Sent from my LGLS992 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. clem

clem

This is why they make repops, because of all the hoarders.
    I may be hoarding a couple myself......

kiwijeff and continentaljohn like this.
  22. Buck28

Buck28

Do you remember which vendor you bought them from or what it cost? TIA

23. Actually just hoar...er....hanging on to just two originals I won at an auction many moons ago....same with two hoods.....one from our old yard and thinking the other came from that same auction.

24. I used an early Vintique. Pretty good all around except the insert was a little tight in 2 of the corners.

Sent from my SM-J727V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. If you can't afford the price of a real one then buy a Brookville as they not bad at all. But they are not as nice as a real shell when it comes to fitting the insert.

golferforpar likes this.
  26. rustyrods

rustyrods
    from Dixon,Il.

I buy cheap grilles on Ebay. Not a big deal goes with a cheap car. Gets filled with bugs anyway, going down the road 60 MPH who cares!!!!! Look at all the gas you can buy with the savings

Lil'Alb and kiwijeff like this.
  27. deucendude

deucendude
    from norcal

I have never seen a repop that sits in the shell like a gene. Even these pictures don't look right.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  28. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I have a Vintique shell with a Dales insert, and it fits VERY well. The Dales inserts are getting hard to find.

da34guy likes this.
  29. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Same here, Dales insert, best extra $100 I ever spent!
    People keep justifying the savings and if they were individual parts that did not have to fit together I might agree, but many don't fit together.
    I can imagine with the hourly rate of a good body man the savings don't balance out.