Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1934 Ford Grille ~ I think,what's it worth?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Nov 21, 2017.

1. grill.JPG

I need a little help on what should I offer a relative for this grille shell. HRP

chryslerfan55 and jrlphx like this.
  2. A case of his favorite beverage and carton of smokes

3. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Considering the cost of restoring and chroming it Danny, I'd say it isn't worth much at this point.

Hnstray and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  4. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Best bet is to sell it as a wall hanger, that way you make a few bucks instead of restoring it and paying more than it will be worth.

5. 34Larry

34Larry

If you must have it, offer to just take it off his hands or have him pay you for doing so. If that doesn't work and still must have it, I don't know what to tell you.
    Restoring it will cost more than one from Bob Drakes Old Ford Parts for sure, and by the looks of it I doubt if it would survive restoring.

6. In my mind, it's garage art. I would offer him $20 and either leave it as-is or lightly sand it, spray bomb the perimeter satin silver and the bars gloss red and hang it on the wall. Now if he will throw in that grease gun, offer him $25.:D

jrlphx, Hnstray, catdad49 and 3 others like this.
  7. I don't want to low ball him and I don't need it so I guess it should continue to hang on his wall. HRP

Hnstray and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. It's probably worth a couple hundred to the right guy

9. You're probably right, Chris. I mean I guess it is savable in the right hands. You know far more about this stuff than I do for sure. I do know that pristine examples of original pieces bring LARGE dollars and an NOS piece well, let the bidding begin!:D

10. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I would ask him what he wants for it and then decide whether it is worth that to you or not. I would not make the offer, that way you don't make him feel like your trying to steal it!

Hnstray, PAracer, timwhit and 2 others like this.
  11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Danny, first, because this is a relative of yours, I understand the position you're in.
    Myself, I would take some photos with me for bargaining power, assuming I needed it and had plans on negotiating and restoring it, not that this is the case here but sometimes a seller needs to be brought to the realistic facts on what these things require to restore.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/chrome-pricing.970164/page-12

[​IMG]

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/1934-ford-vicky-saved-destruction/

[​IMG]

chryslerfan55 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  12. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

I missed a straight one with way less pitting but no chrome on it at this years lake compounce swap meet.....seller told me he got $600

13. The relative that owns this grille shell is no rube,he has been around old cars forever and owns a 34 and several 39 and 40 Fords. HRP

14. I don't know how thin it is but I'd certainly pay $100 for it. Probably $200. Soak it in some kind of solution to clean it up, brush it off and maybe spray something on it to keep it from getting any worse and enjoy it. Looks to be fairly straight, complete and not broken.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  15. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

^^^^ This. If you can arrive at a price that is reasonable and that he's happy with, it will make a decent "Painter" for someone on a budget build as those bars look like toast..

To me, the important thing is to get all these "wall hanger" parts off walls and onto cars for the street!

HRP; if he wants a bit more than you're willing to spend, why don't you list it for him in the HAMB parts? Won't cost anything and just maybe the grille will find itself a 34 in need.

16. That thing would even make your wall look ugly.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  17. Pete

Pete

Really guys.....a ‘34 shell in need of TLC and chrome goes for at least $400 to $500

Iv never seen one for $100....that’s just crazy

ls1yj, lewk, slim38 and 8 others like this.
  18. Elvis100

Elvis100

I would agree.... they are going for $350+ with the bottoms rotten

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  19. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Roger that Pete.
    My buddy (RIP Bob) built a blown sbc powered 5W 34 hiboy in the late 70's and they were bringing good coin way back then. Don't recall what he paid but I know it required a bunch of handwork to be worthy of rechroming.

20. all joking aside, those are bringing $200-$400+ in shape like that at shows I have been at

RR guys runem as is

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  21. If you spent 10 mins getting the wild rust fuzz off of it and found no holes that would bring 4-600 without trying too hard. Spent an hour with a wood dowel and drill press straightening the worst of the bends and bring closer to $800.
    With the bottoms rotted clean off the bring 2-300

catdad49 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  22. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

I am intrigued by the "Spent an hour with a wood dowel and drill press straightening the worst of the bends". I'm off to search for the how-to on this particular tidbit or grille repair.

catdad49, mbrede and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  23. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

Call the pickers, they pay way more for grills then what they are worth.

24. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I wouldn't pay it, but if it's not rotten, it's worth at least $3-500. I got $760 for this Argentinian repo that needed chrome. That's a lot of money for garage art, IMHO, if it could be re-plated, it'd cost more than a new reproduction. The nice original I paid $1400 for turned out to be a steal.

Attached Files:

25. Pete

Pete

I’d love to see a $200 to $300 ‘34 Ford grill. Post pics please.

26. A Boner

A Boner

"If you spent 10 minutes getting the wild rust fuzz off of it".....you would either fuck it up beyond repair if you got most of it off, or not get much of the wild rust fuzz off of it! Doing it in 10 minutes is what the seller would tell the buyer.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  27. Lmao-
    just the Fuzzy stuff,
    Not all of the rust.
    10 mins by hand with a red pad and a paint stick, impossible to fuck it up.

How long would that take you?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  28. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I'm think'n a trip through the chrome shop strip tank may play a big part in the decision process.

HOTRODPRIMER and lothiandon1940 like this.
  29. 3 years ago my uncle tripped over one in a pasture where his friends family has lived for 4 generations. Nobody remembered anyone having the Ford to match and told him to take it home with him if he wanted. He sold it for $150 to a guy that was happier than a pig in shit. He was rather disappointed when I told him what I thought it was capable of bringing. It was in a little better shape than that one, but only slightly.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  30. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

I think Pete is spot on 4 to 5 Hunnert and I too would love to see someone selling a 100 dollar grill.

HOTRODPRIMER and lockwoodkustoms like this.