Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 2018 Jalopy Showdown moving

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hd1084, Nov 19, 2017.

1. BIG JALOPY SHOWDOWN ANNOUNCEMENT!!!
    Well, I know a lot of people dont like change so you will either love or hate this! As always, the Jalopy Showdown date is t...he third weekend in May...Saturday May 19th. The BIG difference this year is we will be moving the show to The Fabulous Lincoln Speedway!! Opened in 1953 there is a lot of history at this track. It is also a very short ride from Latimore. Lets get right to the bad first. It will never FEEL like Latimore which is what we have labored over for a while. Latimore is like a park that just happens to have a race track and museum on it. We also do not happen to have the museum on the hill right behind the track. This will still be a fund raiser for the museum. Vendors will still make their checks out to the EMMR and the owners of Lincoln have made us a very friendly deal because they are as involved with EMMR as we are. Now what we hope is the good about the move...as you know, we have outgrown the museum track area long ago. Insurance has become a giant issue. Under the best of circumstances it can be a logistical nightmare, let alone what a hard rain will do to the place. At Lincoln we will have show car parking on blacktop with LOTS of room for cars. LOTS of vendor space, LOTS of pit space, LOTS of easy access spectator parking, LOTS of grandstands, a LOT more track time because there is a tunnel to the infield and we wont have to stop to let people and car cross over. A real clay race track...no stones! Preliminary plans are to set up a 75 foot long tent in the infield in case we do have a little weather. This will be where we sell the show swag and there will be lots of tables. Also planning on the BBQ guys to be set up on the infield (we would never consider doing it without them!) also several other food vendors on the infield, near the show car area and at the grandstands. We are also considering doing a top 10 (or more) best hot rod/custom area on the infield. Its as close as we'll ever get to a trophy!
    There will be camping but Friday-Sunday only (more later). Would like to know if anyone would be interested on a cruise up to the museum Friday afternoon? As far as track time, we would like to still do speedsters, roadsters, hot rods (coupes), the EMMR group of vintage race cars, and really hope to expand the vintage motorcycle class, and cage-less sprint cars (working to get Josh Shaw and the guys back!) Will finish out the day with an expanded Lucky Devil Hell Drivers Thrill Show! This will be very different for all of us and we are hoping the expansion will make it interesting for everyone. Let the happiness/sadness, "you sold outs" begin....GO!!

2. The only constant in life is change. Like it or not, there's always going to be change. This will work out just fine. Bigger, better facility, still just a short cruise to the EMMR. Sure, maybe some of the intimacy of Latimore will go away but, things must always change, embrace it and move forward. I look forward to going to the new facility.

3. ^ Agree...the race cars will go a little faster and no traffic interruption.

4. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

5. Sounds like a plan, maybe I will finally get the coupe to this event.

'52 F-3, chevy57dude, hd1084 and 3 others like this.
  6. I for one am just happy to know that the show will continue. It's absolutely one of the best and now likely to get even better.

7. My son found a pic of the track and it shows where everything will be.
    FB_IMG_1511123266477.jpg

8. Larry said he will post all the info on here also with more pictures. Looks like a nice place.

Dino 64, wraymen, chevy57dude and 3 others like this.
  9. catdad49

catdad49

Looks to be a great place and nicely laid out! A heavy dew in the morning to put some moisture in the track and all is good.

10. Looks like it's just after York Pa. (from Philly)

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. Awesome!! There are plenty of motels in the Hanover area for those that don't camp. Also a 1950s style drive in the "Tropical Treat" is right down the road from Lincoln.

12. ...................Yummmmmm 7996_vuv_APP0VCH_qBQInlXWO0lOposDMkFpjAtRCZDL24Q.jpg 4943130667_bdf44f5df8.jpg thumb_600.jpg

13. Back up for any who might have missed it.:D

14. Six months will go quickly. Hopefully!

15. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

16. I'm I the only one who feels a little sad.:( I just want to Thank Larry, and everyone for all the great memories of Showdowns past. It was at the coolest {place} that I've ever attended a show. I Know things have to change, and the reasons for it. And I'll be there for 2018. And I'm sure it will be a lot of fun too. But I never like change! At first that is. :rolleyes: Ron...

17. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

18. .............................I feel your pain, Ron. I don't like change either, but I honestly believe this is good change. I for one am thrilled that Larry has decided to continue the event. There were rumblings in the past that it might come to an end. That would be devastating in my mind. Hopefully there will be no more foolish stuff happening like the incident out on Rt. 15 last year that could have precipitated an end to the show. And don't forget, Ron, you slept through much of the show hunkered down under that HAMB sign/ blanket last year.:D:eek:;)..............Just had to mess wid' you a little bit.................................I'm going into the new venue with a positive attitude. I think it's going to be alright.:)

19. You have a great attitude lothiandon1940. The show goes on, and that is what counts. Ron, just think of this change as another chapter, it will be OK buddy. LOL.:D

20. I now have a final deadline to get paint on. Woo Woo!

21. Hellfish

Hellfish

Every time we changed the venue for the Hunnert Car Pileup there were cheers and complaints. It happens. Sounds like a cool new place connected to the old place. Winning all around! As a new PA resident, I hope I can make it in 2018.

22. More room for vending?

We can bring more stuff!

23. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Eagerly waiting for vendor info!!!!!

24. I'm just letting ya'll know that we are staying at the Hampton Inn in Hanover. Its about 10 min. from the track. Thought some of the guys driving long distance might want to join in and in the process fill the Hotel lot up with Hot Rods. Should be a great time.

25. What state is it? I did a google search there are race tracks in a few states with cities named Lincoln.

Bowtie Coupe and lothiandon1940 like this.
  26. Pennsylvania, just outside of Gettysburg.

27. ..................Think it's listed as Abbottstown, Pa. if you are doing a search:D

28. It's Lincoln Speedway, 800 Racetrack Rd., Abottstown, PA 17301. www.lincolnspeedway.com Come on up and enjoy the fun at the Showdown and take a driving tour through the battlefield in Gettysburg. You'll be glad you did.