Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 64 ford rear window relay

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by erock805, Nov 18, 2017.

1. erock805

erock805

A lil help please.... where the heck is it. Have an amazingly original 64 fairlane ranch wagon. Put the but connect in last night about 11pm to fix the drivers side brake/turn signal. That’s it though. No one has hacked the car.

Anyway. Only three things left to fix in the electrical dept. rear window switch is not getting Power. passenger turn indicator is dead, and interior gauge lights do not come on.

Once I apply Power to she rolls down and up as instructed. I see the power comes from a relay...where would that be in the car?

Thanks for your help!!!

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. greybeard360

greybeard360

The switch turns on the relay which in turn sends power to the motor. Not sure where the relay is mounted. You need to find out why there isn't power at the switch... Then again it may be a ground side switch so there wouldn't be power to it. You need a wiring diagram to find out. My Mitchell's CD doesn't have schematics for power windows.

Sent from my Moto G Play using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

erock805 likes this.
  3. Ford in that era generally mounted power relays for things like power windows and such in the engine compartment near the starter solenoid, I'd look there first...

erock805 likes this.
  4. on the driver side of the tailgate there is a lever that moves when you open and close the gate, it actually acts as a safety switch so you don't open the window while the tailgate is down. it may be that that switch is either unplugged or not even there, I think it is actually on the rear pillar area, it jus tlooks like a silver lever about 2" long.

erock805 likes this.

5. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

Have no idea if they are the same ,but the relay for my 65 parklane breeze way window is at the top of the firewall drivers side. Looks like a horn relay

erock805 likes this.
  6. 24riverview

24riverview

May be no help but the earlier models were powered by a circuit breaker mounted on the starter relay. Fairlane.jpg

7. erock805

erock805

Yup I see it there on mine. Thanks

8. erock805

erock805

When I add power to the switch then I can roll the window up and down. I thought the relay sent he Power (big blue wire) and the switch sent the power to either the up or down. ???

9. greybeard360

greybeard360

Switches usually don't carry the load if there is a relay in the system. The relay carries the load and switch turns relay off and on. Like I said... Schematic tells the story.

10. erock805

erock805

11. erock805

erock805

So now that I know where that should be I’ll go see why if the relay has no power

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

12. greybeard360

greybeard360

[​IMG]

64 diagram... Google is your friend.

Relay is triggered by the safety switch in the back, which Powers up the blue wire. Check the circuit breaker on the starter relay first. Then check the safety switch. You know the rest of it works.

abe lugo likes this.
  13. Unhhh, the relay has nothing to do with the window switches....

Sequence of operation is this:
    1. Dash-mounted window switch. The relay is triggered by the 'ACC' terminal on the ignition switch. This enables the dash-mounted switch to operate the rear window. The relay is used simply to remove load off the ignition switch so its contacts don't get burned up and to defeat use of the switch if the ignition isn't turned 'on'. Power to the relay comes in via the circuit breaker connected at the starter solenoid, goes through the relay to the dash switch.
    2. Tailgate-mounted switch. This switch is also key-operated, but bypasses the relay, getting power directly from the same circuit breaker ahead of the relay.
    3. Limit switch. This switch when closed (tailgate open) 'shorts' the up/down wires together, preventing either switch from operating the motor.

If applying power to the red/blue wire allows the tailgate switch and window to work, you've got a bad or disconnected circuit breaker or the wire is damaged somewhere between the breaker and the switch. Note that you need a key to operate the window from either location. If the dash switch doesn't work but the tailgate switch does, you've got a bad relay or no input signal from the ignition switch.

14. erock805

erock805

Thanks Steve. I did google quite a bit. But your description is perfect thank you.

Power is supplied by the relay to the switch. Red wire with blue stripe plugs into the blue wire that in the car powers the interior switch.

The key does roll the window up and down in he back. So yup. The relay is shot.

Thanks again for all your help. Now to find a nice original looking relay

15. I should have noted that a bad dash switch can cause the same issue, but it's probably the relay.

16. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

For your dash light problem....pull the head light switch and check the rheostat that dims and brightens the dash lights as you turn the head light knob. Fixed a bunch of them by spraying with WD-40 and working the knob around.

17. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I have found the relay is only for the switch on the dash only,there is none for the switch on the tailgate. The relay was bad in my country squire so I found a NOS relay but it only lasted 6 months so I wired it direct,I think a relay was used so the window could not be rolled down without the key being on.