Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Buying long distance

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by LPL87, Nov 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LPL87

LPL87
    from West Texas

How can I be safe buying a hotrod pickup that will have to be shipped ? Will go & look at it first but if I have paid for it & get the title how can I ensure what I bought is what is shipped ? Maybe I am being to careful but I don't think so. If the motor has been changed in a 1930 ford pickup what will the title show for a serial # ??

johnhbailey likes this.
  2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What the title shows will depend on the vehicle history and state.

Ideally, it should show the frame number, which is under the body. Engines are disposable.

Let the seller know, in advance, that you wish to inspect the frame number, prior to sale. If the seller is unwilling, walk away, and don't look back. Yes, it requires that the body be lifted, and the splash apron (if it has one) to be removed. Only people who have something to hide will prevent you from looking.

If you cannot get to where it is, get someone locally to go look at it for you.

Where are you located? Where is it located?

johnhbailey and Straight30weight like this.
  3. LPL87

LPL87
    from West Texas

I'm in texas its in maryland

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ask the seller which number is on the title. Not that you need to know what it is exactly, just where the stamping on the car is. Don't tell the seller what you expect. See what they say.

Any Maryland folks out there what to go peep at this?

johnhbailey and 6inarow like this.

5. LPL87

LPL87
    from West Texas

I'll go look it over

WTF really likes this.
  6. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

You're gonna unbolt the body and lift it to look at the number on the frame? And the seller is going to allow that?

swade41 and 55styleliner like this.
  7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If the seller will not allow a proper serial number inspection, don't buy it.

Let me repeat what I already said: ONLY PEOPLE WITH SOMETHING TO HIDE WILL PREVENT YOU FROM DOING A PROPER SERIAL NUMBER INSPECTION.

Inspecting VIN/serials in my job. If I am going to inspect a Model A, or any other vehicle where the number is obscured by body work, I instruct the owner to have it unobstructed before I get there. If it is not, I absolutely will not sign off on having seen the number, neither should any buyer.

8. I think what he is asking is, how can he ensure that the vehicle he looks at and buys is the one that will get shipped to Texas?
    I would have to say if you go look at it, and buy it then you will be the one that will ship it. Is there a way to arrange shipping and if you buy it take it to the shipper that day then the shipper will send it to you. Where in Maryland is it? I'm in Maryland.

johnhbailey likes this.
  9. And there are honest shippers listed in the HAMB-O-DEX.Part way down the main page.

10. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Take the time to make the trip to look the car over and ask every question that is in your head.

I had a friend you just purchased a car over the internet and even though he received many photo's along with everything that had been done to the car along with a video he purchased the car for $29,000 dollars.
    When the car was delivered to his home it would not start because of a dead battery which he though was no big deal but little did he realize it would be a blessing the car did not start because when rolling the car into his garage he realized it also had NO Brakes!!!

Once the brake problems were sorted out and he started the car the exhaust system had small pin holes in a number of places from front to back.
    Once he replaced the entire exhaust system which cost about a grand he started using the car.

He told me he would never again buy a car without first flying to where ever the car was to see it in person.

This car came from someone who has a show room full of old street rod's and muscle cars.
    Jimbo

11. You just joined yesterday.

Try looking in your own backyard - there are a lot of cars for sale in Texas & neighboring states.

Kick the tires before you buy if possible.

Look at the cars for sale in the classifieds here on the HAMB.

Invest $50 in an Alliance membership.

Jim

Hombre, kiwijeff and ClarkH like this.
  12. fergusonic

fergusonic
    from Kokomo, In

If the owner has a 1930 vehicle to sell ; then he must realize that it has a stamped ID number that must match and be verified with the Title. The Seller's name must be on the Title also; not a 3rd party. If you buy it; stick around for the Shipper to arrive and observe the loading.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  13. The37Kid

The37Kid

Ok, For the sake of discussion lets say someone calls you to look at a a TOTALLY restored Model A Ford one that won a "Henry" in the MAFCA completion, you know the $100,000 restoration types. You honestly think the seller is going to unbolt the body to let you or anyone check the chassis number? Would a photo of the number during the restoration be accepted? How about the last car to win Best Of Show at Pebble Beach?

Bob

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  14. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

model A engine #s are just below the head in the center left side...
    take a pic... compare #s.... but he seeing you copy that # should deter any shananagans...
    best of luck...

15. I had a friend go check out the 56 Buick station wagon I bought out of state .I told him to listen to the motor and being a Buick I asked him to make sure the dynflow trans didn't leak. He said it looked good and sounded good. When he trailered it down to me we couldn't even get it started because the wiring was so messed up. We finally pushed it out of his enclosed trailer and wound up pulling it up my mountain drive way in the dark with him hanging out the widow with a flash light to see with a tow strap, and it was cold and pouring rain. We final got it to the top of my mountain drive way and I said lets leave it here for now. I told him to come in and dry off and gave him a few drinks then payed him for his troubles. The next day I had to put a new battery in it because the old one was junk. Got it started and the damn motor had a knock. The car wouldn't move so I put some trans fluid in it and poured out as fast as I put it in.{some friend hu?} I then started down to the shop with it and it had a brake pedal but found out the booster wasn't working as I couldn't stop. I slowed it down but it still hit the back wall of my shop knocking it out about 2 feet. Nothing happened to the car. I spent 3 years work on it with replacing the motor and trans but the wiring was such a mess I finally selling it ..OH YEA the title was messed up too . I had to take more time and $$ to get that straighten out.I explained to the buyer what was wrong with it and why I had it priced so cheap. He still bought. What I am trying to say from then on I never bought a car with out looking at it my self. When I traded my Old wagon for the 56 Chrysler it was an hour and a half drive to see it but was worth it. I knew what I was buying. So good luck on your deal. Heres a shot after we got the Buick wagon up the mountain. Bruce. 00o0o_82PxJSvNBPi_600x450-1.jpeg

triman62, kiwijeff and edcodesign like this.
  16. town sedan

town sedan

Recently I've been shopping too. Everything I liked were states away. Then one day I found an ad for almost exactly what I wanted on the other side of our metro. Best of all is dealing with a fellow alliance member.

Can you maybe fly in, buy and rent a truck and trailer to tug it home with?
    -Dave

trulyvintage likes this.
  17. Clay Belt

Clay Belt

Just drive it home/tow it home yourself after you buy it

trulyvintage and j3harleys like this.
  18. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man, I'd listen to this guy. ^^^ When a professional shipper tells you you're better off going local, that warrants attention.

There are plenty of solid Model A pickups to be had in Texas. You won't have to pay travel costs to see it, you won't have to pay shipping to get it, you won't have anxiety about actually receiving what you bought, and it will come with in-state paperwork.

When you already live in a target-rich environment, I can't see why you would look to buy something on the East Coast. The East Coast is noted for rust. It's also more populous--which means good vehicles command more money.

If you slow down and take your time, you could save yourself money and aggravation.

19. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Yep, buy local. Drive out, look and test drive it. Leave a deposit and go get your (or rent a) truck and trailer. If it's located close, you've seen pictures and think you may buy, haul out there with an empty trailer, a large size friend (and maybe a side iron) and cash. Believe me, that empty trailer in their driveway and cash will get you a deal. If they balk, tell them you're making one more stop on the way home to "look at another one". If they're motivated, you'll get a deal.

What part or TX? That's a big country. Maybe a HAMBer knows of one in your area...

20. LPL87

LPL87
    from West Texas

I've been looking for about 6 months. Been looking on craigslist & about 20 other sites. Guess I just need to slow down & wait for it. Hard to do once you get the bug ! I'm close to Lubbock. Found my 30 coupe in Fort Worth after driving to San Antonio so have driven the state already.

town sedan and trulyvintage like this.
  21. low down A

low down A

letting a buyer unbolt a body on a complete running car would involve unhooking almost everything and probably taking the interior out. I doubt this as ever been done.

Hombre and 46international like this.
  22. Turning the wheel means doing what is best for others - not making money for yourself first.

I am in Texas right now waiting to pick up 1968 Camaro headed to California.

Texas is a great “ backyard “ to look in .....:

Jim

Hombre, kiwijeff and town sedan like this.
  23. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

Interesting topic and being older than dirt(Officially) I have seen the changes. There was a time when if someone told you something, especially in the farming community where I grew up, you could take it to the bank. Sadly, that is no longer the case for many reasons including the political reasons starting at the top. I have been buying and selling hotrods, vintage cars and airplanes for over fifty years and it has definitely changed. Today outright lying is the norm and honesty now is a shocking experience. I have bought and sold many cars sight unseen and until recently had very few negative experiences. Don't get me wrong, I just bought a gorgeous 29 from Kevin Gribble in SD and the man is as honest as the day is long as is his brother Randy who built the car. If we are going to bitch about the jerks we just also mention the ones with class. But then there are the others, since Jan of this year I have had six very negative experiences from either out right crooked liars or buyers who never showed up with the green, the most recent being a clown in SC who sold me an off topic car to use for our childrens fund drive as a clown car. Supposedly a running, driving perfectly usable car as-is. All bull, this car hasn't been used in many, many years and will not without a massive influx of cash. Consequently it is currently available on Ebay. As to vin numbers, that is now a big deal and using a legit vin number on an aftermarket chassis is a big no-no. We all did it for years with glass cars, cobra reps and the like. Those are in many cases all illegal now as is restamping engine blocks in Corvettes. They tell me now there are more 435HP corvettes for sale than GM made and jail time could be in the offing. To end the rant started by the last deal I can't expect someone to take the body off to visualize a vin but you should at least take a look or have someone knowledgeable do it for you. Model As are difficult but still not worth the money for someone to take the risk. 32 and up Fords for example are definitely valuable so you want to see the vin number. DMV tells me anything with a aftermarket chassis should be a Special Construction, i.e. keep every damn receipt you have. I know this is a long rant but I am pretty hot over this recent change in basic honesty having had some recent very unpleasant experiences at DMV. I will no longer buy sight unseen without either personally seeing vin numbers or a damn good photo of such proving it is the same car.

24. rusty valley

rusty valley

i'm confused, you live in nice dry texas, and you want to but a car from the rust belt?

hidez57 and gimpyshotrods like this.
  25. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

After looking it over and the number matches the title, you ship it. Don't let the seller ship it.

26. Bigmac48

Bigmac48
    from Dundalk Md

image.jpeg image.jpeg Larry bought my 40 2 hours away have only owned about 6 months . In my excitement I missed a couple little things ( still satisfied no complaint ) But guess I'm saying take your time . I'm in Maryland if it not to far say 1-1 1/2 hour I would go look at it for u but I am not an expert but I could possible take my buddy he's had a 32 5 window since he was 17 he is now working on his 32 pickup I am 69 he is 70 ? We go for rides anyway so if it's within reason I would be willing to do that for you no charge and no worries we are not in the market for any others . Also if u r concernred that the car u buy will be the car shipped if u came yourself (don't think I would open my home to you my wife is funny about things like that ) but if u follow thru with the purchase u could have it immediately shipped while u r still in Md to my home but unfortunately could only offer u car port coverage till u arrange to have it picked up and shipped hopefully within a week . I no it might sound weird but thought I'd throw that out there ( follower of the Lord Jesus Christ ) not a crook or nut . Combat wounded Vietnam vet . Cordially. Dennis M McMillion

Attached Files:

27. 55styleliner

55styleliner

I’ve bought 2 cars sight unseen in the last year and many in my life. I can say that I have never been outright taken on a deal and have more often than not been pleasantly surprised when the car arrived. Even if you go look at the car yourself you can easily overlook issues on the first inspection that will become apparent once in your possession and you really start studying and enjoying the car. I guess what I am saying is that you can pay for a lot of minor repairs for the cost of traveling to look at an out if state car. And, every old car you buy will need some work, I have never bought one that didn’t.

Model A Fords and matching VIN on the title are almost as rare as hens teeth. Most have had engines and frames switched during resto or at some point to keep them going, and many have been built from pieces. If you are going to insist the title matches the frame or engine, you can knock probably 75% of all that are for sale off of your list.

dirty old man and rusty valley like this.
  28. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't care. If I don't see the serial number, no sale.

I have seen too many horror shows already.

29. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I do it on every single inspection of a car that has an obstructed serial number.

If I don't do it, the DMV will refer you to the California Highway Patrol.

THEY will take your car apart and verify the number for you, when the have an open appointment slot. If there is an issue with the number, you DO NOT GET THE CAR BACK!

30. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Only if it has a matching engine and frame serial number. I have only seen this twice in my life. If it's a hot rod, the original engine is likely long gone.

My state titles by FRAME number, which means I have to see it during the inspection.

If you gamble on using the engine number, and someone has used the frame number already, you are in for trouble.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.