Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1928 Bill of Sale from NJ and converting it to a new title- NJ DMV advice needed

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by banjorear, Nov 14, 2017.

1. banjorear

banjorear

OK, I know I'm going to get slack for this, but I bought my car 15 years ago and never titled it. I'm not sure why, but I just didn't.

I've decided to get a proper title for the car and was looking over my documentation. What I thought was an original title is actually a notarized a bill of sale dated from May, 1928. I'm assuming it was from the dealer since the car was built in April of '28.

Anyway, the bill of sale is still open. Has anyone had experience with NJ's DMV and how I should proceed on getting this car titled?

I have the pictures, VIN/engine rubbing, and insurance for it. I just need to get this bill of sale converted to a NJ title in my name the best way possible. Anyone have experience in NJ doing this? If so, any tips would be appreciated.

2. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

Have you been to the DMV in that state?

LOU WELLS, dan c and Hnstray like this.
  3. 56shoebox

56shoebox

You're fucked!

gas pumper, Nathan_1929 and LOU WELLS like this.
  4. banjorear

banjorear

I’m planning to go in two weeks and wanted to get my ducks in a row first. The DMV website is sparse and there was no answer on the DMV hotline.

5. banjorear

banjorear

Starting to think so. Ugh.

6. 62hotcat

62hotcat

If its from a no title state Nj accepts the bill of sale.

7. banjorear

banjorear

It's an NJ bill of sale dated from May 1928. I seriously doubt the car was used and there was no title.

8. 56shoebox

56shoebox

Go to the local dmv and show them what you have. From experience I can tell you that some offices are more knowledgeable than others. If you don't like the answer you get at one office drive to another. If the bill of sale is from out of state you are one leg up because it is notarized, although the notary is from 1928. They may not believe you bought the car from the original owner. If it's a NJ bill of sale it is probably worthless since NJ issues titles.

I know from experience if you are titling a car purchased from NY (for example) it is easy if the car's registration is current. NY treats the registration as the title. If the NY registration is expired it has to be notarized. I have had to deal with both. The expired registration required a notary, which I did not have, and like yourself I waited years to title the car in my name and could no longer contact the seller. He died!!!! And I could not locate his estate. I ended up selling the car to a "know it all". I don't know if he ever titled it in NJ and since it was no longer my problem I wasn't concerned about it.

I think your best bet is to go to your local dmv and inquire.

9. 62hotcat

62hotcat

Now you have a problem. I would go to a regional or Trenton DMV for that info. Have fun you will get a different answer from everyone you talk to.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  10. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Good idea. Sometimes going to the DMV with the best intentions can lead you down a difficult path. I would check with an experienced DMV agent in your state. I went this route with my last 'out of the ordinary' transfer and saved not only a bunch of headache but it turned out to be less money than doing it myself.

olscrounger likes this.
  11. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Complete car or a pile of parts?

I agree with Blowby, and also recommend hiring a 3rd party DMV/registration service to do all the leg work for you. For a stated single fee (couple hundred bucks ?), they'll produce all the forms, affidavits, etc. for you to sign, secure a VIN authentication if needed and they'll jump through all the flaming DMV hoops for you.

You'll save yourself a minor ulcer and countless frustrating trips to the DMV, dealing with a different clerk each trip. Believe me, the DMV will treat you like a common criminal and have you standing on your head, spitting quarters before it's all done and you may still walk away without a title.

12. banjorear

banjorear

Now a complete car kind of. I’m leaning towards going with a service as well. Any recommendations?

13. Harland grunder

Harland grunder

Get out the preparation h.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  14. There is a place here in T.N. They say All-States Title Service. They can get titles for cars and trucks from 1910 to 1997 2 week turn around. The fellows name is Randy Pitt P.O. box 988. call any time 615-414-8063.Another one in Shelbyville T.N. they can get you a title from 1910 to 2012 with in a 10 day turn around he is Daves cars Tags & Titles their # is 913-619-8971.Back in the day I bought a car with no title so I was lucky and had a used dealer plate and I just used that.Another reason I left N.J. Good luck with it and keep us posted. Bruce.

15. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^first time i've heard someone recommend going to a "title dealer". i've always heard that's a no-no.

i had a couple problems with the title to my old ford (vin #), but mo. dmv
    searched the title to ky. and got everything squared away!

my other problem was the amount of taxable h.p. i brought my factory service manual and a copy of the formula for figuring tax h.p., and they changed it. seems most dmv workers think ALL v8 cars are 54 horsepower.

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  16. skipperman

skipperman

Have any friends in Pennsylvania ??? PHILLY IS THE BEST for that kinda' stuff... MUCH easier than Jersey .... and there are "motor vehicle" Places ALL OVER Philly ....... If Your friend deals with one regularly it will be no problem ...
    Friend titles in his name -- transfers to you ....

17. banjorear

banjorear

I actually do. Never thought about that.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

18. oldsman41

oldsman41

dont know about n j but you would have a better chance of survival crawling through the swamps of mississippi then to get a title from ohio. but i think maine might be able to help you also i think vermont just send them money they cut you a title and you go to nj with it. ive heard

19. skipperman

skipperman

I would CALL HIM NOW !!!!!!!!!

20. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Used to live in N.J., and when I had anything questionable with "Trenton", I took the time and drove down to Trenton. Possibly I was extremely lucky, but each time I went direct, everything always got sorted out with just one face to face visit. A few years ago, I got a new Pa. title for a '34 Ford, that last changed hands (it was an open title from the Garden State) in '73. No problem. Good luck.

21. banjorear

banjorear

Yes, I'm going to do this first. Take the day off work and just go to the source. I'm hoping it's old enough, they'll just let it go.

Hnstray likes this.
  22. You won't get a title for it in Vermont. Just plates after it's been vin checked by the local pd. Which means they will want to see the vehicle to check the vin.

23. :pBe sure to tell them you were the purchaser in 1928 or they'll get you for title jumping.:p

banjorear likes this.
  24. banjorear

banjorear

Trust me, I feel that old some days....

25. Are you sure N.J. had titles in 1928?
    New York
    for example did not become a title state until 1973, pre 1972 vehicles do not have titles in N.Y.
    All you need is a bill of sale to register '72 or older car.

26. gas pumper

gas pumper

Also having 50 years experience in NJ, I would go to Washington, NJ rather than Trenton.
    They are the best I have found. Willing to solve a problem rather than make it worse.

27. banjorear

banjorear

Funny, I told my wife this morning they were my first choice. I use to live Stewartsville so I know the place well.

gas pumper likes this.
  28. banjorear

banjorear

I know NJ had them back in the ‘50’s for I had a ‘34 with a small, brown title for it.