Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Roadster top: Black or tan Haartz cloth?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by flynbrian48, Nov 11, 2017.

?
  1. Black

25 vote(s)
    39.1%
  2. Tan

32 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Keep going with Gorilla tape and call it good

7 vote(s)
    10.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

The seat as is, then the pattern I was going to use in plaid, and finally the plaid and red draped over the seat. I'm not feeling it. Looked good in my head...
    that's the truth. My '36 had cycle fenders, the black top was easy to clean mud and (bird poop) off.

Attached Files:

loudbang, kiwijeff and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

TAN!

Attached Files:

loudbang likes this.
  3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMO..... If you need a top. Buy or build a coupe.

jimmysweden likes this.
  4. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

375475_2660904484485_2118944326_n.jpg
    Easy for you to say, from California...;-)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  5. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

Since votes don't count anyway ;);) mine goes to a darker saddle color to match your brownish saddle color seat. Will go fine with firewall and just don't paint the grill bars. :D:D:D
    [​IMG]

loudbang and flynbrian48 like this.
  6. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Fine. Since white is out, & car has a cream firewall, just go w/a Cream top then & be done w/the matching aspect of it. :D . Then the plaid (black/grey/white?) could work out. In the 60's, things did start getting a bit 'brighter'. :D .

7. jimmysweden

jimmysweden
    from sweden

Brown..

Attached Files:

8. brady1929

brady1929

9. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Myself,I like tan,as it's cooler in the sun. An really a folding top too me is tobe used for sun or lite rain,and any other time it's ether folded down or left at home=I don't like a top,but if it's got to be used,may as well look fairly good. But black seems to look cleaner longer,so that's some type of point?
    Here is my own I made frame an sewed my self,did a tech on it too HAMB. CrandonPark1.jpg

Attached Files:

loudbang and HOTFR8 like this.
  10. Light color body I like a dark top. Dark body I like a light top , so I voted for Tan. top5.jpg top6.jpg

dana barlow likes this.
  11. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

IMG_3299.JPG IMG_3291.JPG I extended the top to the door post, keeping the canted forward line of the opening, which I like. Setting on the seat, there's a little blind spot but itsss not bad. I think that's the final shape, and I think I lol go with black, tan inside. Now to order material...

loudbang likes this.
  12. For me personally it would either be black or white (cream?). For whatever reason I don't find the tan tops pleasing. But I am sure that it is a personal thing.

loudbang likes this.
  13. I used 1950's GM white pin point vinyl top material on my car. Very easy to clean. My opinion, has to be white :)

IMG_4036.JPG

14. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

I've owned a couple of each color (black, tan and not-an-option-white). Black is the WORST choice if you want to keep it pristine clean and Hartz cloth is double trouble. While it washes up nicely, Hartz is almost magnetic to picking up dirt/dust/fibers etc. and then, when it's black, all the crap shows. Go black only if you don't use the car; use Hartz cloth only if you really enjoy scrubbing your top a lot.

Follow Chris's advice...GM PinPoint vinyl...even tho it's not an option now, it's the best option for your car IMHO.

15. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

IMG_1611.JPG
    You guys are killing me here. Just when I make a decision... actually, I had no trouble keeping the black Haartz top on the '36 clean.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    loudbang likes this.
  16. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tan appears to give it a more traditional vintage look, black on black perhaps could be viewed as more street rod. On the other hand your wire wheels are a little newer in style so black could work with them.

flynbrian48 likes this.
  17. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dude, Chris's car look killer with the white top and big white walls. On your car the effect will not be the same. I have a Driftwood tan top on my 34 because I like it. Here is a pic of my car prior to body work still in the black e coat for a look see at tan top on black.
    upload_2017-11-13_12-32-31.png

18. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Well, I never considered white, even in vinyl, from experience it's too hard keeping a white top pristine. And white has to be kept pristine. Your roadster looks great Bandit Billy in black and tan, and I do like a Black and Tan. ;-) I like black, I like tan, I think either one will look good with the look my car has going on. Yeah, black may be a little "street roddy", but the car isn't 40's traditional style, so I think I won't get too much derision if I go that way. I have a set of 15" steel Chevy wheels, with hub cap clips, probably '49 or '50 wheels, that I can also use (I need two more bias ply WW's), and the set of 14" Astro's with WW's on shown in my Avatar. So, I have wheel choices. ;-)

biggeorge and loudbang like this.
  19. big_thumb_ca22080f3f9c71ce184e16b1e840eac4.jpg 4acac4b1caef00f7c7cdb77df929d3f0.jpg 58c26eb38477fac7c56c7953efdd023d--wire-wheels-roadster.jpg traditional-ford-hot-rod-roadster-1.2-800x800.jpg

Probably found these, already. OP was black or tan. Maybe the last two are brown, but I think they're black. :) Get your crayons out to change picture #1. Good luck. Great quandry to choose, for such a great ride. Love to have your problem.

20. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Brian just a question. I saw the way you had the tan taped side of the top originally and where you extended it out to the door post. I was wondering if you considered bringing the upper area of the window back to your first top bow (first metal frame with wood - B pillar?) and then coming down to your door post while keeping the frame covered. It might take care of that small blind spot and still look good.

loudbang likes this.
  21. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

The blind spot isn't bad with it pulled to the door post. I sat in the car last night with my wife, we can live with it. If like Chris's car the seat were pushed back to the back of the cab, it would be annoying, which is probably why he didn't extend the top's quarter to the door post. I think I've figured out how to make an attachment, would have been good to have pulled the lip forward before paint, hard to do now without it looking like an afterthought. As for Gordon's question, I'm not sure I'd be happy with the window opening having a more vertical line, my personal preference is the forward line as I mocked it up in tape. That's just personal preference thought, it'd work for some.

I feel like I may be overthinking this, but it's a good problem to have. ;-)

loudbang likes this.
  22. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No problem. I get to go through this same thing when I am ready to finish up my top!

loudbang likes this.
  23. junkman8888

junkman8888

1. Paint firewall body color. With the firewall one color the body another and the top something else, you've got way too many colors going on.

2. The color of the top should always complement the color of the interior. Back to the number of colors used on the car.

3. Change those God-forsaken wheels to either early Ford wires or solids. Or run fenders.

WillyKJr likes this.
  24. My top ends where the stock top ended. I wanted it looking like a stock, but chopped top. I have stock bows and irons, all modified, but even the rear window is stock. My upholstery guy really "gets it" and absolutely nailed what I wanted. I have side curtains as well.
    IMG_9397.jpg

25. A Boner

A Boner

image.jpeg This looks way better, just round off sharp corner.....I would do it in white.

loudbang, biggeorge and Moriarity like this.
  26. A Boner

A Boner

image.jpeg White like this.
    Tan is sort of resto-rod......white is a little bit more hot rod.

Kiwi 4d and biggeorge like this.
  27. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, yes he does.

28. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

1. You're entitled to your opinion, but, it doesn't count.
    2. The firewall will remain cream, unless you want to buy it, pull the engine, and repaint it black. If the hood is open, the car is broken, and it won't matter what color the top is at that moment.
    3. I like the wheels, which is why they're on there. If you don't like them, see #1.
    4. I think top is going to be black, so, that's one color, body top, and, and tires.
    5. It won't have fenders. If you think it should, see #1.

kidcampbell71, loudbang and da34guy like this.
  29. SS327

SS327

Go red so it matches the old grille. :oops: Actually I have no opinion it's not my car so I voted for Gorilla tape. I would have voted for Flex-Tape but it was not an option.

Denny

Bandit Billy and low down A like this.
  30. Spotweld

Spotweld

It’s a personal choice for you. My opinion - Black & Tan goes together well.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.