Register now to get rid of these ads!

Was Anyone Here Actually There?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tony Bones, May 8, 2005.

1. The '70s this was for the next generation. I can probably fit into either I ate the water melon at Grace Slicks Birthday party in Golden Gate park, but I also partied my butt off in the '70s. Both decades were marked by the party and concert thing.

For me both decades have hazy places. There was a lot of fun to be had if you liked things that went faster than they imagined in Detriot.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

witnessed the '50s. participated during the '60s. wish i'd kept most of the cars i've owned.

3. hounddogjake

hounddogjake

60's were great, York US 30 Dragway, Mason Dixon, and 75/80. Race on Friday, work Saturday to repair what we broke so we could race again on Sunday and most times hope we didn't break down so we could
    drive to work on Monday.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

4. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I got my DL in 68...could pick up 55-56-57 Chevies dirt, and I mean DIRT cheap...My first car was an absolutely primo 55 Nomad with a blown engine I picked up for $25 towing fee the guy never picked up from the tow yard. Rebuilt the engine and drove it all thru school days. Paid $25 for a very nice black and white 55 2dr hardtop Belaire that he couldn't get it to run...got it home, changed the rubber section of fuel line and ran perfect...donated it to the high school auto shop to build a dragster out of. Also bought a 65 Impala SS 327 4 sp car off a carlot in Fresno for $450, the car I had when I got married and took it on our honeymoon.....damn sure miss those days

crashfarmer and lothiandon1940 like this.
  5. Also built this in the 60's
    32-5window.jpg 32-5window_0008.jpg

6. Mercman4life

Mercman4life

I grew up during the 50's and 60's. In the 50's I was in love with cars I would see on the street. I was to young to do anything but dream that some day I would own my own dream car some day. The 60's were great. Friends were getting licenses and driving. We were all buying cars and fixing them . Some just to run and some to go fast. Like some had said before cars could be bought for anywhere from $25 to $200 tops. Only wish I had keep some of those cars.

7. Gman0046

Gman0046

Yeah, I was there. Attached is a picture that appeared in our local newspaper of our 36 Ford Drag Car we built as teenagers in my Grandpas garage in the early sixties and raced at NY's West Hampton Drag Strip. It was originally flathead powered and later swapped to a 327. I'll never forget my Grandpa saying "you kids are crazy, you spend hundreds of dollars to win a 59 cent trophy". I'm the skinny guy in the middle. Gary IMG_0928.JPG

8. If you were there tell us your story. Pictures are appreciated.:)

9. sunbeam

sunbeam

To most teenage guys in the 50s and 60 your car was the most important thing.

10. stude54ht

stude54ht
    from Spokane WA

Tsoto color with kelly.jpg That's me @15 in the passengers seat. The late John Flenkenstein's "Tsoto" 17 in this photo.

11. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

I was there 1965 to now and it was Bitchin..... IMG_0101.jpg

12. trollst

trollst

I was there, wasn't all good times though.

loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  13. pitman

pitman

Started in '70, musclecars everywhere, got my avatar on the road w/a 265 in it.

14. jnaki

jnaki

Hey Denis,
    101 at Torrey Pines? My reliable, stock, Flathead motor in the 40 Ford Sedan Delivery in 1961 was a little under powered with two 45 lb surfboards stuck out of the rear window, sleeping bags, cooler, clothes, two to three guys and stuff in the back. It got us to the Torrey Pines grade from Long Beach, but had to be in 2nd gear to get up that long hill drive to the top.

If we stopped at the bottom to check out the surf, the start up that grade never got out of 2nd. If we got a high speed run in 3rd gear from Del Mar down the other side of Penasquitos Lagoon, we might have gotten 1/2 way up the hill grade before 2nd had to be engaged.

Junji
    Even today, the Torrey Pines Grade is a long grade almost equal to the Conejo Grade on the 101 freeway coming from Santa Barbara into LA. That steep Conejo Grade kept this Flathead 40 Ford Sedan Delivery on the flat Coast Highway 1 running along the coast every time.

Fun times, for sure...

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
    deucemac and LOU WELLS like this.
  15. jnaki

jnaki

Hey Lou,
    That is a cool photo of the 40 Sedan Delivery. You look like a jazz musician with a back area full of instruments, ready for a concert. I sold my 40 Sedan Delivery in 1965, so I could get a long distance, reliable, daily driver, El Camino for college. (A PARENT REQUEST) They were certainly fun driving cars during my early teenage high school years.

Junji
    I liked that first HS 40 sedan delivery so much that 10 years later, we bought another one that we fixed up to look like the very first one for us.
    upload_2017-11-18_8-19-55.png 1961 upload_2017-11-18_8-21-12.png 1971

16. redroaddog

redroaddog

I was there born in 52 lived in San Diego had a older brother that mom made him take me. With him. Saw alot of hot rods got me hooked early

17. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

I'm still there *LOST in the 60's* -n- I ain't coming out for any reason.

18. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Pumping 35 cent gas at a Sohio in 68. Driving a 64 Chevy with a built 327 and the old reliable quadrajet.
    Still to this day remember hearing and lusting over the first hemi’s to hit the street.
    During those years most young guys were into making fast later year cars. Would have died for a 55 Chevy or a muscle car.

19. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

I loved my uncle's Y-block powered 49 Ford in the early 60's. My parents thought he was cruel since he put seatbelts in it, buckled his family in and the kids couldn't see out. That was back in the day that kids roamed freely about cars as they travelled down the road. I have great memories of riding down the highway in my parents 56 Ford 2 door sedan, standing up in the back seat watching the speedometer pointing at 120 saying, "Go faster Daddy!"

I didn't drive on the road legally until 1971 when I got a permit at 14. I'd been driving in the pasture at the wheel of Dad's 48 Ford F2 for years having a blast cutting cookies.

20. deucemac

deucemac

Bought my first car in '62. A '48 Ford coupe from Beesler Motors at 32nd and Main in San Diego. Cars, hot rods, sprints, midgets, Bonneville cars, Indy roadsters, and even high powered sporty cars ever since. The '32 roadster in my avatar is my 9th car ! If you ask my wife, she will tell you I'm still in the '60's. By the way, the Miramar road today is a shadow of itself. Mostly torn out and replaced. Just the east end by the air station is on the original route. A little left but now called Eastgate Mall. Anybody from San Diego remember drag racing at Cubic or closing Oscar's when they chased us out at 2am?

21. patzfab

patzfab
    from Canada

Got my DL in 64. Bought a 31 Chev touring to drive to work. Was always into cars and racing, go karts, motorcycles, drag racing. This was in Australia, where rodding was heavily frowned upon by the local constabulary, especially in Queensland. Built a customized lowered 49 Holden in 67, got hounded every time it went out. Built a Willy’s Overland bucket body on an Austin 7 chassis in 63, closest I got to having a T bucket, I was 15, the contraption only ever made it to the local salt flat. My real rodding started after moving to Canada in 72, and my first rod a 28 Sport Coupe was started in 78. Been hooked ever since.

22. Spent many Friday nites in the mid 60s cruisin Bobs Big Boy on Colorado (Glendale, Ca) in the ole 56 Chev.