Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects I Just Bought a Hot Rod Model A Roadster That Was Built In 1959...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by cactus1, Jun 7, 2017.

1. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Sounds to me and the rest of the HAMBrs here that Lanny has a very positive solution to your intake issue Mike!

2. My plan is to stick with the 303 and keep the car as built (and last shown.) I must use those awesome headers at all costs! And thanks to A.J. (@Speedy Canuck) I have a beautiful 303 intake on the way. Thanks again A.J.!

I'm having trouble finding intake gaskets for the 303 locally (other than the Best brand that came with the full kit. They got ruined taking the intake back off.) Does anyone have a Fel Pro or equivalent brand part number for some? I may start another thread to ask.

3. 31chevymike

31chevymike

FELPF_MS98016T_P04_TOP.jpg
    I don't remember if you specified the year of your 303, but came up with a Felpro number MS 98016T. Check it out - are these it?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
    chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  4. Not even close, ha but thanks for looking! It’s a 1950 303.

31chevymike and loudbang like this.
  5. 31chevymike

31chevymike

How about this one?
    Best 19014EX or Fel Pro FPG MS9257SH
    Olds 303.jpg

6. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

7. That's the style! That Best seems to be the only composite gasket available? The Fel pro is a steel shim stock Type gasket for an iron manifold. I was hoping they had a composite but it does not seem to be the case?

Yes! That's the one I had that came with my whole engine gasket kit. Seemed a little squishy but that seems to be the only composite gasket available. Thanks for the link.

8. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

This thread still rules!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

31chevymike and cactus1 like this.
  9. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Once these gaskets are in hand, the real excitement begins... Getting that 1950 Olds 303 running again - hopefully you're planning a video for all of us to enjoy Mike! This will be one of those special moments for Lanny too - seeing his old roadster come back to life!!

10. No problem! Glad it's going to use on such a rad hotrod.

This Edelbrock intake is about to have his big moment. He's sure excited to be on top of a running motor soon!

All boxed up and on it's way to you! There's enough tape and cardboard that it should arrive exactly as it left.

IMG_3399.JPG

11. Awesome! Thanks again @Speedy Canuck! I've got another set of the Best brand gaskets on the way as well (as that was all I could find?) I hope we can make some noise soon. I will take a video for sure @31chevymike dont you worry!

12. THIS IS GETTING BETTER AND BETTER EVERY TIME I CHECK IN ON IT.

31chevymike and cactus1 like this.
  13. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Very cool - we're all looking forward to this!

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55, cactus1 and loudbang like this.
  14. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Hey Speedy, we're very glad that you can supply Mike with this manifold - it's perfect in a way that it's weathered and should be dropped in just the way it is. Mike, did you receive your intake gaskets yet?

chryslerfan55, cactus1 and loudbang like this.
  15. It's all shelf wear. From what I was told when I got it, it's been mocked up on a motor, but never run.
    It's in such good shape that I was hanging onto it for the right motor. When Mike reached out to me looking for one, I knew his was the right motor.

16. Itchy-Pit

Itchy-Pit

Neat that you can document the car - value increases with pedigree.

cactus1, loudbang and 31chevymike like this.
  17. 31chevymike

31chevymike

So true Speedy, how often does ANYONE have a chance at helping a fellow rodder who's bringing a vintage hot rod, built in 1959 to return to the streets once again? More so that the original owner will see it happen!

18. Don't make me out to be a hero. Mike did pay me what I had into the intake. But yes, it does feel good to know that I could cut loose a part that'll make a real vintage hotrod whole again. :)

19. @31chevymike The gaskets arrived yesterday and the intake (thanks again @Speedy Canuck for letting it go!) is due to land Friday so hopefully with a little luck I can get it together and make some noise by the end of the weekend? We shall see!

20. 31chevymike

31chevymike

F"""Kineh Bubba! Starter issue resolved Mike?

21. Starter seems good!

22. They told me it would be there Wednesday :rolleyes:

23. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Hey Mike - not sure it was mentioned, but how is the wiring in your roadster?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Protected by The Power Fist Yeah!!!:p

Doesn't seem to be many bolts holding those down

25. Witing seems to be good for the most part! There are a couple of things 1 need to figure out.

Yeah! The HAMB rules!
    There are ten bolts that secure it. It gets thick donut washers at the four spots in the middle.

26. After getting the intake back together last night I was hoping for the best today. The morning didn’t go so well :confused:. I was getting fire but not in a matter that was conducive to this thing running. While Î had verified that the no.1 piston was at TDC, Î never verified that it was on the intake stroke, duh! :oops: Fortunately Î have smart friends! My pal Chris (@2muchstuff ) came by to set me straight! Check this out....

https://instagram.com/p/BbX94GUAxIr/

27. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Just saw the video on Instagram - Mike you have got to be seriously STOKED by hearing this 'ol 303 run again - MANY CONGRATS!!!! Has Lanny had the chance to hear her run again?

28. Thanks man! To say I’m ecstatic would be an understatement!! Î sent the vid to @Lanyard via text but haven’t heard back. Maybe he’ll see it here?!

Now I’m addressing all the water leaks that presented themselves, ha! The water pump is leaking terribly and was giving us a nice shower. Hopefully it can be rebuilt? I’ll have to do a little research to see if a kit is available. The carb also flooded a couple of times. Î need to see if something got stuck in the needle. Î never did pull the fuel pump apart to see what kind of shape it was in, just verified that it was working. May need to get those new Grosse(?) ball sets for inlets.

At any rate, a giant hurdle has been jumped! After 52 years she runs again!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congratulations on the milestone amongst all the others but this is a biggie...Fire in the Hole!!!!;)

30. Mike, finally! Stoked for you. Sounds great. The exh. manifold bolts need permatex in case you forgot:rolleyes:. I got a rebuilt pump from Rock Auto for my 324.