Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Driving my hot rod from mich to Cali in Dec best route and stops

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotroded, Nov 11, 2017.

1. topher5150

topher5150

gas pumper and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  2. Stop along the way? Head north, to Canadian border, pick up one frozen passenger(hint), then continue whatever way you can.
    If you don't have a heater yet, you can use a 12V heat/massage cushion, that will take the chill off for the most part.
    Good luck, enjoy the drive!

jazz1, hotrodharry2 and hotroded like this.
  3. KustomLincolnLady

KustomLincolnLady

That's Sweet Jack :)

elgringo71 and hotroded like this.
  4. Special Ed

Special Ed

I cruised that route that you're taking a few years ago in late September. in my Jet. The sun is going to be very low in the sky in December, so keep that in consideration. Heading west, the sun is going to be blinding in the mid/late afternoon. I tried to get as much mileage as I needed to reach under my belt by lunchtime, then hit the local sights. Worked well for me, but your mileage may vary.
    Good luck, and enjoy ... ;)

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cali is a nice Colombian city southwest of Bogota.

Nobody in California call it that. That's how we identify tourists.

joel, Special Ed and hotroded like this.
  6. Heading far south then making a right when I hit Texas , I have heat and insulated pants and jacket thank you

Sent from my VS988 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. southcross2631

southcross2631

Made the trip from Mt.Clemens to Phoenix in early December on a motorcycle once and ended up in El Paso trying to avoid the snow. Ran through almost 800 miles of fog . Couldn't go any further south so we had to go west. Good Luck on your trip. Wore my snowmobile suit until we got north of Tucson.

hotroded likes this.
  8. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds like a good trip. Watch for snow coming into Albuquerque. But most importantly don't relocate to California. Things are going to hell in a hand basket in a big hurry. Just one example, diesel went up over 50 cents a gallon in less than 2 weeks. 20 cents was new "fees" and the rest was just because they can. JMO.

9. da34guy and hotroded like this.
  10. da34guy likes this.
  11. phat rat

phat rat

Thanks Deb. That was in 05 on the way back from Ego-Rama. If the pic was bigger or closer you'd see BobK in the passenger seat

12. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

X2 on the possible snow problems going thru Flagstaff. While going thru Winslow Az. you can always stop at the "Standing on the corner" exhibit. Sedona Az. is always good for some great pics and the "ghost town" of Jerome is just south of there. You can drive the longest unbroken stretch of Rt66 taking the Seligman Az. exit off I40. Seligman is full of Rt66 "artifacts". Oatman Az. should be a must if your in Kingman. You won't regret the ride from Kingman to Oatman. As mentioned Lake Havasu is a great place and it will be warmer there. I'm a former Mi. resident now living in Kingman and I'm not moving back.

stillrunners likes this.
  13. Russel's is OK , but DON"T , DON'T get fuel there. On the way to LARS this year a group of us stopped there (6 cars) we all topped off, and with in 20/30 miles we all had fuel problems. WATER

hotroded likes this.
  14. That is my plan too never moving back

15. That's a heads up I needed thanks

da34guy likes this.
  16. Wow, that's surprising. Russell's has got to be one of the busiest truck stops on I 40. It's only 75 miles from my house, so we always top off before leaving Amarillo, so never bought gas there though. Cheapest gas anywhere on I40 is always Amarillo....great for me!

17. Funny...JNAKI - I just picked up a Merc flathead in Lake Hefner this weekend....I-40 had no issues West....East is another issue going thru OKC....I have family around Yukon, OK.....that's a nice part of Hwy 66 there....good luck with your travels...following the fun !

hotroded and jnaki like this.
  18. A Boner

A Boner

Depending on the weather forecast....Maybe I-10 across the bottom of the U.S.A.

hotroded likes this.
  19. Yes ttr I always have the camera ready thanks for the ideas and suggestions

20. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

You can plan everything down the last jot and tittle and guard against every mechanical breakdown, plan a strict travel schedule and regimentation and the rest of it, but that's gonna be BORING. Agreed that Interstates are the absolute worst way to see the country. The only caveat is the weather at that time of the year is sketchy, and you need to be setup for camping, or at least a good sleeping bag. You'll need a good set of maps that include all the secondary roads right down to the county dirt road level - this is important. An Air-Guide compass is where these really come into their own. As long as the road goes generally in the right direction, or will hit hardball at some point, navigation takes care of itself to some degree. Keep in mind all the fancy GPS and gee-gaws may not always work, cell coverage is spotty in deep canyons or forested areas. Do not exclusively depend on electronics, have a backup that doesn't require batteries.

Definitely must include the desert southwest as part of your itinerary - Southeast Utah, Monument Valley, and Grand Canyon area. Trust Me.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    pitman and petesmetal like this.
  21. hudson48

hudson48

In Amarillo go to the Golden Light Cafe. One of the oldest eating places on Route 66. Been updated since we were last there(1995 and 2009) and looks bigger and better.
    http://www.goldenlightcafe.com/

22. Well unfortunately I will have to do this trip next year I purchased a project willys on the west coast and will be busy along with 3 other cars my girl has
    Thanks for all the Ideas and tips

23. tgabbe1934

tgabbe1934
    from smithtown

Hey Ed, How are you doing? Too bad you couldn't make that trip, that would have been a great time!

hotroded likes this.
  24. Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  25. Wow nice caddy thats comfort smart man thanks for sharing that [​IMG]
    This is what I went to get old drag car
    Almost left the country but customs was giving the guy to much bull so he opted to sell it . to me

Bowtie Coupe and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  26. ^^^^^^wow! tell us more. Looks similar to the one that Bass got from Gas Monkey

27. Sorry dont have a tv but its just a sbc with auto and old rear pretty fast old build from the 90s
    Just changed the front springs now it sits rite [​IMG]

rjones35 likes this.