Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Driving my hot rod from mich to Cali in Dec best route and stops

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotroded, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Winter is here in Michigan, work is about done . I'm prepping my coupe
    My plan is to drive my A to Cali for the winter via I40 & route 66. About 2300 miles.
    It is the off season what are some stops that might be open for the drive out and I hope to avoid the snow again.
    Anybody have ideas ??
    Maybe who's shop to stop at on the way ?
    Cool photo ops to see ?
    Don't think I will make mooneyes again this year ,but I'm gonna try I'm in no rush this year

Attached Files:

2. don't miss the first exit as you cross into AZ on 40. it is a diner and museum. Food is good and the museum is great and free. Take your camera. RT66 museum in OK (I think) is also a great stop. Plan on a couple hours here.
    Got a heater????? It can get cold in the desert on your way across and snow is a possibility in certain regions, bad enough with the wind that they gate (close)the interstate.

chryslerfan55 and hotroded like this.
  3. I made the trek last year, it was cold. I do have some heat and duct tape too.
    this year weather and time permitting I would like to stop at more places.
    I want to stop at the starbird museum in ok, and will be looking for the diner museum in az.
    I have a guide book so that will be my nite reading on the way.
    thanks

4. robracer1

robracer1

DO NOT DRIVE through Oklahoma city on I-40 or you will need the duck tape to put your car back together, unless ROUGH road conditions have changed which I doubt!

chryslerfan55 and hotroded like this.

5. topher5150

topher5150

He's from Michigan rough roads are the norm around here

Sent from my XT1254 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Do a search of the RT 66 travel/ threads here,lots of good info. Many of the states have RT 66 Associations where they’ll have travel guides for navigating the route and listings of the sights along the way. Good luck, have a safe trip.

hotroded and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. jnaki

jnaki

Hey HR,
    That trip sound cool, but it will be "cold" everywhere in December, even in So Cal. We might have to wear long pants and socks. But, for a photo op, try the north side of the Grand Canyon when you are close. There are people there on the north side, but less of them than the south side. The main lodge is closed, but there are plenty of places for great photographs.

One of our favorite places was Lake Hefner in OKC. There were plenty of places for water background photo ops, including unobstructed sunset shots with the car in the foreground. In Albuquerque, the Old Town will give you the best period locations for a great photo background with your car.

Jnaki
    The choice is yours as you explore...have fun, it will be a great drive. The roads were clogged and blocked off for repair in the summer, all along highway 40 near OKC. We were told that the summer months are the only time allowed for repairs for the coming winter driving season. So, most places were down to one lane for repairs.

8. Yeah I had so many opts last year but was on a mission to get to Cali this year I will tske more time and bring more warm clothes too thanks,
    Staying as gas south as possible too

Sent from my VS988 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Hardcore!! Good luck, be safe, and have fun! Oh, and post pics here of course. Lol

hotroded and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

11. partssaloon

partssaloon

At the Cali, AZ. border, Lake Havasu is 19 miles into town. We have a lot of activity gearhead involved all the time. I'd be glad to show you around if interested. Check out www.havasudeuces.com also havasu deuces on you tube. PM me if you want more info.

12. This old X truck driver would probably go farther south!

Ben

13. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lewis Antique car and toy museum in Moriarty NM.
    I'm at exit 178, 18 miles west. All kinds of things to see in Albuquerque. I'll run with you for awhile if you give a shout out. Soda pops in OKC.
    If you get off at exit 117, Mesita, you can run the most beautiful stretch of old 66 to Laguna and get a 1/2 lb green chili cheese burger at the travel center. Well worth it.

Sent from my XT1254 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  14. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

15. I think maybe he was thinking of the first exit entering New Mexico( Russel's Truck Stop), a definite must stop.
    The OK national 66 museum he mentioned is in Elk City, but there is also a nice one before that in Clinton, OK.. Both are on the I40 (old 66)loops. In Amarillo, perhaps one of the best car museums anywhere, imho, is Bill's Backyard Classics on s. Washington street. Hundreds of high dollar hot rods, street rods, mostly 50's and 60's. I'm in Amarillo, if you need a place to work on your car, I've got a garage and plenty of tools. I'll message you my phone#, my name is Rich Muise. I've got a friend who has a speed/repair shop here as well.
    I40 in the winter is hit or miss as far as driving conditions. As someone mentioned, I40 can get so bad at times they close it. Particularly bad can be the Flagstaff, Az area. If you need to drive around weather, we often go south to Las Cruces, NM and get on I10 to Phoenix.
    BTW, I had my '57 in OKC a few weeks ago. I 40 wasn't all that bad, just alot of construction areas.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  16. ^^^^^^yes I was thinking of Russel's.......thanks T57

da34guy likes this.
  17. KustomLincolnLady

KustomLincolnLady

IMG_3025.JPG IMG_3026.JPG IMG_3058.JPG

Great photo op in Shamrock TX, with the Conoco station then around the corner is the other station. We had to make a quick trip out to AZ for a funeral, sure wish we would have had the Lincoln for this

Ron Funkhouser and hotroded like this.
  18. KustomLincolnLady

KustomLincolnLady

In Arcadia OK is this huge round barn and before you get to that is this little strip of old buildings and a leather shop.

just a little ways down the road is Pop's which was mentioned earlier the pop bottle is all neon and lights up at night
    _MG_2924.JPG _MG_2931.JPG _MG_2950.JPG

Ron Funkhouser and hotroded like this.
  19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My buddy use to drive his roadster in the winter wearing a snowmobile suit. That may be a bit extreme for the coupe if you have a decent heater but even a pair of insulated bibs might add to the comfort level.

hotroded likes this.
  20. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Ed, dad and I enjoyed meeting you and checking out your ride last week. looking forward to a new friendship. Good luck on your trip west! Paul

hotroded likes this.
  21. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Well I️ don’t know your route but speedways American museum of speed in Lincoln Nebraska is worth going out of your way for if your even remotely close.

If you delve down into Kansas City there’s pete and jakes and really a lot of cool hot rod shops. Come on a Wednesday and there’s a swap meet in a giant cave every week! Kansas City has one of the worlds largest underground industrial complexes from offices to factories it’s pretty crazy.

You can drive dump trucks into the tunnels they are so big and they run marathons on the roads threw the system in the winter.

Lots of old tin and hamb guys around to visit as well

bighemifan likes this.
  22. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Since you're doing the I-40/66, check out Oatman, AZ. It's on Route 66, about 15 miles above Bullhead City, AZ

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. toml24

toml24

Upon your arrival in Southern California there are a number of places to visit. They are:

Donut Derelicts Car Show, Huntington Beach, CA. Corner of Adams and Magnolia. Every Saturday morning from 5:30am-8:30am. Best FREE car show on the West coast. 200 vintage cars and trucks every Saturday morning. Trust me; it's worth your time to see this car show.

NHRA Drag Racing Museum, Los Angeles County Fairplex. 1101 West McKinley Ave. Pomona, CA. More than just drag racing, this is an excellent museum.

Automobile Driving Museum. 610 Lairport St. El Segundo, CA. 90245. Don't be put off by the funny street name or the plain drab brick facade. This is a great museum that is non-profit. They ask for a modest $5.00 donation. It's worth it.

Peterson Museum. 6060 Wilshire Blvd. $15 entry plus $12 parking.

In-N-Out Hamburger
    . Mighty tasty burgers, fries, and shakes.

Krispy Kreme Doughnuts. Get the warm glazed doughnuts and bring plenty of cold milk. It's a great experience!

hotroded likes this.
  24. Yes been to the Peterson labria tar pits nhra museum I hope to stay for a couple months if not find a job and stay but I'm in no rush thanks for the input

25. Ivr been looking to move there so much to do there I will stop on my way out for sure

26. Have cousins who live in Albuquerque haven't seen them since the 80 s

winduptoy likes this.
  27. Thanks will keep this one close I appreciate help but hope I don't.

28. phat rat

phat rat

IM000660.jpg
    Just south of here in Wellinton is Owens Salvage home of Flat-Top Bob

29. Was that the wedding or Pete's house to many cocktails at both hahahaha