Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Heritage Gas: Traditional Gasser Classes and Racing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Don Moyer, Jul 18, 2017.

?

do you have any interest in Heritage Gas

Poll closed Aug 17, 2017.
  1. yes

54 vote(s)
    55.7%
  2. no

43 vote(s)
    44.3%
  1. hotrod_tommy

hotrod_tommy

I have an N.O.S. set of 283 Chev std bore forged pistons. Was gonna build a 283 for YEARS, but when I got to it, block was scored, so bored it. $125 if anyone needs these and the iron rings I bought.

2. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Anyone out there with a 265? Not a bad deal if you do!

Sent from my SM-G550T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Don Moyer, els and loudbang like this.
  3. southcross2631

southcross2631

I scored a 65 289 block yesterday. Will that work with your rules.

els and loudbang like this.
  4. The only way I know to do it is with a degree wheel. Could be a major pain.
    When I was a little kid there was a tear down rule that came with a price. It usually only involved pulling a head. I guess if someone lodged a protest you could have a tear down rule with the cost to do it. But that would only work on a protest. I don't know how you would enforce the rule.

This is where you get into a tricky situation with the rules. Some things are easy; pretty easy to tell an LS with hair driers from a small block with a 2x4. When you get to internals it becomes a real pain in the ass. A lot of those guys are driver/owners who have bought a mill and couldn't tear it down and reassemble it to save their soul.

I guess this is where trust comes in, you will have guys bending the rules, that's racing. But you just have to trust them to not blatantly break the rules.

Don Moyer and els like this.
  5. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

My thoughts would be limit the lift of the cam if you want and aftermarket rods and pistons so the cleanup won't be as often.

Don Moyer, els and 31hotrodguy like this.
  6. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Don, I wonder how the F.A.ST (factory appearing stock tire) guys do it. If I remember right they have two basic classes. One for stock and it has to be stock and the other is unlimited but the out side must be totally stock. Either way they would have to have some pretty knowledgeable guys doing tech. As for the cam in the all stock class it needs to "sound correct" I believe they have put on a pretty successful event an it might be worth looking into how they are set up with tech. As for bending the rules and tear downs go this is where the much older now Jr stock guys who like to change numbers on castings will get to make a come back in life. Lol. We know you guys are out there some where.

Sent from my SM-G550T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. slowmotion

slowmotion

That's it in a nutshell right there. Everybody likes to win, whether they admit to it or not.
    I was into dirt oval karts, early 70's. Racin' for trophy's. One guy sent his Mac 101 out to Cali, had it gone through & blueprinted to the tune of $1500 (I had about $400 in my whole outfit, as most others did). Obsoleted everyone in one swipe. Expensive trophy & fun while it lasted (which wasn't much longer).
    You got your work cut out for you Don. Hope it happens & good luck, but this ain't no cakewalk for sure.

loudbang, Don Moyer and els like this.
  8. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

If someone just flat outruns the class move them up a class.

powrshftr, loudbang and els like this.
  9. I am not sure about the F.A.S.T. rules. Back in the '90s I was building a B/RB for a stock class like that. Maybe it was F.A.S.T. the guy just gave me guidelines that he had to stay within. Stock looking carb, offset grind on crank up to .010, and lift limitations. I used a MOPAR purple camshaft that fell within .005 of his limitations and offset his crank .008.

One thing if someone expects any participation at all the rules are going to be a balancing act. Try and keep it fun and entertaining and it will go like hotcakes. get too strict and it will fly like a lead zeppelin.

I sure wish I could be more help on this. It sounds like fun to me.

10. is is exactly the same as a 64 block? then yes.

els, loudbang and 31hotrodguy like this.
  11. There will be a protest rule where some things will be tested, especially the vehicle weight and the engine size. The pain in the ass stuff for sure will be harder to check, that is where the build diary comes to play, but what is to say that folks cheat and put in different parts from what they originally claim. Maybe a stiff penalty like banned from the class if caught. Or, do like the FAST guys do, and make all the external parts part # correct for pre 1965 and live with internal modifications. Most of the fans won't know if some of the guys that need to win have newer camshafts....

12. limiting cleanup is a very motivational reason for this.

els, loudbang and saltflats like this.
  13. Changing casting numbers....hmmm didn't even consider that one, you guys are evil! haha I guess I will have to put a note in the rules about that too! I guess I would like to hear from someone that has changed casting numbers to see if there is an easy way to detect them....

31hotrodguy, els and loudbang like this.
  14. That won't work! Heritage Gas is a weight to cubic inch heads up race, so by definition, if this guy beats everyone, and is legit, then everyone else needs to up their game. Someone is always faster! The more he wins the closer the inspection of his car too. Just to make sure it is legit.

15. I am all about fun! I think that keeping money out of the formula, it may only attract folks that get it. Thanks for your input!

16. southcross2631

southcross2631

It is exactly like a 64 block except 64 had a 5 bolt bellhousing and 65 had a 6 bolt bellhousing.
    Very hard to see once it is in the car.

17. I have changed serial numbers before, not a theft deal a resto deal, although I guess that it is the same when you get right down to it. :oops:

I am pretty sure that you will get it ironed out, you got a good head on your shoulders. ;)

18. southcross2631

southcross2631

Just make the really fast cars add weight. It works for NHRA . Southeast Gassers has a rule if you are way faster than everybody else your combo gets weight tacked on. Pump them for cubic inches and weigh their cars and check casting numbers if you want to. Outside appearance should be good enough. Stock rods versus modern aftermarket . Reliability , fewer oil downs. You will spend more time inspecting cars than racing . Put in a lift rule on the cams, we did it in oval track racing.

loudbang, 31hotrodguy and els like this.
  19. I am not going to penalize cars for going too fast by adding weight. I see lots of problems with that and it doesn't really make the race true heads up. I agree on the rods. Inspecting the cars is going to be a 2 part deal. During tech, and after a win if there is a challenge. How did you guys measure the lift on the cam? In other words what was the procedure?

20. southcross2631

southcross2631

Dial indicator . Crank the motor by hand read the dial. You looking for total lift including the rocker arm. Because some guys will read the cam lift and not consider that some of the cheaters will use 1.6 rockers in a Chevy.
    For any of you Chevy guys interested, My machine shop has a nice set of 461 and 462 heads. Both sets are bare and are 1.94 1.50 . With no accessory holes.

Don Moyer likes this.
  21. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

First of all I wish you the best on this. My experience tells me that keeping everyone honest is going to be a problem. Lets say I have a 301 57 chevy . If my combination runs a half second quicker than the other dozen 301s are you going to add weight to all? or move all up to another class? If you don't move all of them you are going to run into politics and sandbagging . WE already have that now with bracket racing . My 57 will not fit your rules as most parts are too new, I would love to watch your class get going and I can be a spectator .

Don Moyer likes this.
  22. southcross2631

southcross2631

You could have two guys racing wheelbarrows across a parking lot for a six pack and one guy will show up with a carbon fiber wheelbarrow with a trick wheels and $ 500 pair of running shoes to win that six pack. That's just the way guys are, we want to win.
    It's nostalgic racing , just do like the old days and just run for trophies. You are always going to have that one guy who will work to make his car better. If he wants to spend all that time and money just to win a trophy, well, I am proud of him.

Don Moyer likes this.
  23. I am going to keep handing you the trophy until somebody gets a car that can beat you cause that is the way it was! NO index racing in this class!

24. Yes, that is why it will be a trophy class only. However, look how much show car guys spend to win the same dust collector!

25. wvenfield

wvenfield

It's why I quit going to show's. I didn't care to win but it made for a lousy day having to spend 4 hours with those who wanted a trophy so bad.

26. Totally agree! I would prefer not to have them either but the little trophy is better than the almighty cash purse!

31hotrodguy likes this.
  27. wvenfield

wvenfield

At least you have to do something for the trophy here as opposed to whine and cry to the judges.

Don Moyer and 31hotrodguy like this.
  28. JB_roadrage

JB_roadrage

I don't guess a build thread could be used for the build diary could it ??

Don Moyer likes this.
  29. southcross2631

southcross2631

My Morris Minor will be powered by a Hilborn injected 289 Ford with a top loader . Will a Mr. Gasket inline shifter be o.k.? It came with the transmission.

Don Moyer likes this.
  30. Sure! then print out the important parts! I was thinking of doing the same thing.