Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs caddy roadster High School shop build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by anthony myrick, Nov 8, 2017.

1. 26Troadster

26Troadster

yes i agree the machinist instructor is a good one, the grandson came is with a print of what he was doing and started asking questions. i asked what his instructor had told him and he says we haven't got there yet. i told being i wasn't teaching him he had to wait that i didn't want to change the way he was being taught. i did talk to him about one of the other classes and he said he would think about it. he told me he wants to go state and national.

2. there is a lot of math involved with machine work
    if you grandson needs help let me know and I will see what I can do
    also, there are machinist trade magazines he needs to be reading plus there are tons of stuff on you tube.
    classes are short, anything he can do to give him an edge will help tremendously
    Many older machinist are wearing out and retiring, a sharp machinist should have a lot of opportunities. Be prepared for him looking for opportunities outside of where he lives. BHam Huntsville and Mobile for example

3. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Good to hear you have a machine trades class/instuctor. I have to admit, a couple years after my junior/senior years at Tri County Joint Vocational School, Nelsonville, Ohio (a quick plug for my alma mater), I took a night class in Machine Trades. 1982 was kind of the dawn of the CNC age, so I got to learn a lot of old ways (pun intended) Ron Altic was that instructor's name. All of my time there was time well spent.

4. 26Troadster

26Troadster

i am a machinist as well as a welder, fabricator, mechanic, and do hydraulic and electrician work and was a iron worker as well but i don't have it in me anymore for that. i'm a jack of many trades, my grandfather always told me if a man did it another man can do it again. the boy just doesn't like to listen to me i guess times are different and maybe i was that way to but don't remember. i gave him a old pair of dial calipers and gave him a cheat sheet on the fraction to decimals. i grew up in a family owned machine shop and three of my little brothers have a shop in south texas now. i push parts now in a office type job here in nauvoo but still do other jobs as needed.

5. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

I'm a sucker for 4 dr hardtops so it hurts seeing that car cut up but this is going to be a cool build!

Donuts & Peelouts likes this.
  6. well, we did save it from the crusher
    and I had to take a deep breath before we sliced the QTRs
    but, it will live again, re born

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  7. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I kinda dig it. The Lander and Atomic Punk are great inspiration. Keep at it and keep us updated.

8. we started discussing how we wanted the car to look
    still working on a top drawing but will hold off until the tub is welded
    we are thinking about building a space frame design for the tub to save seat and floor room with traditional shaped rails in the front.

I think we are going for a what if Grandpaw Munster worked for GM look

for wheels, OE chrome steelies and aluminum slots are top choices
    looks like cheater slicks and skinnies will be the tires
    colors have been anything from candy flake panels over pearl white (Singapore Sling ish)
    but the name the kids are kicking around is the "deVillain" so we are thinking something more sinister needs to be used like a candy dark red/black pearl

its getting close to testing time and will probably not make a lot of progress until after the holidays
    but we are planning on starting up our after school shop /car club again so maybe we can do some after class work.

Singapore Sling and a candy red the students liked
    singapore sling.jpg -candy-concentrate-custom-hotrod-paints.jpg
    a candy red/black custom the students liked and a Singapore sling inspired trike we painted
    red and black.jpg rupp.JPG

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  9. JimSibley

JimSibley

Awesome. I helped do a big block moose powered Karman Ghia when I was in body college. Was a huge part of making me a car butcher. These students are are lucky to get to do this.

10. oldsman41

oldsman41

i dont care what you do to it you have saved another car from become washers and dryers.

11. yep, it was already being picked when I found it
    they just crushed about every car they had last week, it would have been one of them
    and we will have a bunch of parts that might help another caddy stay alive

12. Cool project for the kids to learn and work on. Hands on is the best way to learn for most kids.

I don't think anything wrong with underslung rear susp. Could even go cheap and use the stock Cad leafs, with your light weight may only need the main leaf and one or two additional, make sure to reverse the spring pack for underslung. Cut off the stock hangers and reuse by flipping them over and then left to right.

13. the moose did a cool rendering
    definitely something to think about
    caddy concept.jpg caddy concept 1.jpg

TFoch, alanp561, jerseyboy and 11 others like this.
  14. 26Troadster

26Troadster

i thought i asked this question but can't find it. are you gonna try to use the caddie dash on the project? the blue bobble top is nice.

15. no, it is way too bulky
    I will try to use the cool vent registers though and try to cut down the steering wheel

16. before the crash, I posted this picture that best exampled how we plan to start the design for the chassis
    The plan is for an underslung rear set up with structure over it to support the coilovers
    we plan for this cage/structure to extend all through the cockpit area, under the "fenders" similar to a European sports car.
    Move the gas tank behind the rear axle, we need all the seat room we can get to fit 2 fat guys in it
    will more that likely use square tubing. This will help mounting interior panels
    underslung.JPG

17. 26Troadster

26Troadster

18. these Tucker concepts was a new one for me
    somebody needs to build the one on the right
    tucker 1.jpg

alanp561 and loudbang like this.
  19. USA Tires Sign Joe

USA Tires Sign Joe
    from Western NJ

I know the guy who built this green custom he is a great guy.

So cool to see the younger folks getting interested...

20. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

The 56 Olds concept with the speedo in the center of the wheel is kinda cool
    upload_2017-11-21_16-35-41.jpeg
    Have to admit the modern Miray is kinda neat too or the sketches themselves are anyway.
    The sketch a lot of the time is little more cool lookin than the actual car...

21. students really liked this one
    concept.jpg
    dont know which direction it will take but the planning has been fun
    the insides will probably resemble something like this but with a totally different gauge set up and steering wheel
    atomic punk interior.jpg

22. I like she shape of the dash/console
    that could be built with tubing and be part of the cars structure

23. thanks
    I love that car
    has a fun 60s vibe
    here is the car
    rises by rich.jpg
    beautiful

24. NOTE: The one on the right is the "1956 Tucker Carioca" ... perhaps Bob & Rob (@Hot Rod Tucker) Ida will build it after they finish building the one on the left ... i.e., the "1946 Tucker Torpedo":

Ida's Tucker Torpedo (3-4 front).jpg Ida's Tucker Torpedo (side).jpg Ida's Tucker Torpedo (3-4 rear).jpg

25. their work is amazing. Im just dumb enough to understand the body process, the making of all the trim and details is what boggles my mind

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  26. The Continental

The Continental
    from Texas

I love these style cars. Is there a name for this style? As far as flowing your fenders and quarters, perhaps you could use the rest of the fin from the back doors. I think this should have a TH400 trans and a stock 429 would move this thing pretty well, but a 390 Tri Power or 500 could be good as well. Putting in a Eldorado FWD set up would save room from a transmission tunnel as well.

27. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

The concept I like the most is teaching some outside the box thoughts.But still a full blown,ground up Custom!! Thank you for teaching the young guns .:):):cool:

28. That is bad asssss!
    image.jpeg

I'd do it with top and doors
    image.jpeg