Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Bias versus radials...Oh noo!! Not again!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodmano, Nov 7, 2017.

1. A Boner

A Boner

Looks like a bias ply, so I'll guess it's a radial.....what brand is it?

2. adam401

adam401

^ Coker American classic blackwall radial

Rand Man likes this.
  3. blownhemi48

blownhemi48
    from Bergen NY

Radial tires usually explode and fly apart due to overheating caused by too low tire air pressure.

Jugornot likes this.
  4. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

You can run bias ply's down to the threads but they are not the best handling tires made and then there are the radials that do ride smoother but could be junk with 95 percent of the tread still on it. I wish there was a reasonable price radial that looks like a bias ply that could be run down to nothing and there would not be this discussion.

5. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

I know what you mean about the air in tires. I've been trying, unsuccessfully I might add, to get real Bavarian air for my BMW tires.

hotrodmano likes this.
  6. How many times does this poor old horse have to be beaten to death?

Jugornot and 117harv like this.
  7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8. A Boner

A Boner

15"or smaller.....no 16" .....I guess.
    8.20R15".......29.91 tall.....$258.00 in catalog......tallest tire listed.
    Anyone running them and recommending them to their friends?

9. A Boner

A Boner

87 times

Jugornot, 49ratfink and hotrodmano like this.
  10. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app[/QUOTE]

That car would still be amazing sitting on blocks, I have admired it since the first time I saw it. Beautiful car, well done!

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@117harv is correct. Yup wrong place to discuss the subject...these are inspired items and are accepted as such and belong in the place my inspired for other reasons Ole Hotrod resides...The Hokey Ass Message Board forum which I completely am happy to respect

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  12. Rand Man

Rand Man

I think it’s a valid discussion. I have a traditional rod. I’m considering switching to some different wheels. I like my steelies , dog dish and bias plys, but I wonder what it would look like with some “mags”. I’m considering some of the Towel City vintage pie crust cheater slicks out back. I think most everybody that has tried them likes them. Guess what? I believe they are re-caps on radial casings. I doubt many know that to look at them. I think I might try a set of these new “radial look” tires from Coker on the front. Maybe they have both the looks and performance. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app[​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Rand Man technically those tires bump your car into the Inspired Traditional forum The Hokey Ass Message Board even though they are getting close but aren't and never will be technically by the rules Traditional. The Mags are also subject to Traditional or Inspired status. That is up to you. I as said above for reasons we need not get into understand and respect the forum rules and feel no less a Hamber. What that means is I would not pass the Ole Hotrod as Traditional but as Inspired in the proper Forum for it which is The Hokey Ass Message Board.

Yes its an applicable question but OP posted in the wrong Forum because Radials are and never will be Traditional. That said it gets kinda hot on the keyboards wherever it is discussed and you being a member here for as long as you have, know that.

I fully understand why hardcore Traditionalists here become defensive...the Traditional Forums are Truly for Bonafide Traditional Hotrods and Customs.

They are right...and the membership is fortunate there is some leniency.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
    Paul likes this.
  14. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey, Norway. I am heading to El Mirage in my Deuce roadster as we argue. I'm running Hoosier radials on the rear and Continentals on the front, AND consistently running 80-85 mph. I feel safe as we skip from San Antonio to California on shitty roads called interstates. I will NEVER substitute looks for safety, and if you do, you are a fool. Too many California big wigs run radials when they hit the road while any photos taken of their rides show pie-crust bias rubber. You probably subscribe to one of the publications run by a certain Kool dude, no names given. I was even talked out of buying bias plys by a West coast tire dealer when I told him of my intentions. So, go ahead and run what ya brung, but don't whine when the DPS has to scrape you off the pavement with a broom and dust pan. OR, maybe you should just cruise your ride to the local drive-in and enjoy a rootbeer. Drive the fucker or park it. DRIVE IT !

15. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

zz, you hit the old proverbial nail on the head. Hope to see you at El Mirage this Nov. I'll be the ONLY red Deuce roadster with a/c, heated seats for two weeks every year, and overdrive.

16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks 33 everybody should check this out thats 2 good chuckles tonight here for me...Tires and Gumby...:D

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    tb33anda3rd likes this.
  17. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I'm sure none of you dirty queef sniffers who bitch about "traditional" bias plies wouldn't have a Vega box on your car.

I mean you'd be a total hypocrite, Vega boxes are for 70s and later street rods.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

49ratfink and TagMan like this.
  18. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

When I was finally able to get my 1st ever hot rod 34 3W it came on Chrome Reversed wheels, which I still have on bias-ply tires. 8” Wide in the Rear and 6” up front. I decided that step up to what the guys with $’s we’re putting on theirs. E0553ECD-97B8-4520-BF43-24029F020F12.png Those just happened to be Michelin’s which everyone was running in their builds. I remember that I looked for bias ply tire and the only thing available was Remington’s and there wasn’t too much of a selection....
    Well after a small investment had been made on the Radials, I was enlightened by Lucas Automotive Engineering’s choices in vintage tires.
    Several years later, I was able to get Denman Ribbed 600-16’s & 870-16’s with a great W/W. and I ran them since, right now there’s a set of Dirt Track tires on that cars point of road surface contact. D81D5AF0-5635-478B-BA9B-2B89C87ED221.jpeg

IMHO, is that skins can make or break a look of a car as can the wheels, stance and pure visual style & delivery.
    I’ve driven on so many of this countries roads both on radials and on ply, just take the ride/drive and go with it. That’s tradition. :).

19. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

my beef with radial tires is the DAMAGE the belt can do to the body. otherwise radials seem to respond better. overall... give me a cheap bias rag tire.

20. hotrodmano

hotrodmano
    from Norway

Well. To me a "traditonal, perioid correct" hot rod is just that. As close to the real deal as possible, At least visually. I do understand that People who run cross country wants a reliable car, but what I do not get is what many here says about bias being hard to run. I do not have that problem. the car wanders, yes, but thats just a minor issue. Might be the concrete highways and that the bias handle different than over here where we have asphalt paved roads. I dont know. Never ran on concrete roads With bias.
    Anyway, always good to hear others thoughts about it. Not my intention to insult anyone. Just wanted to air my frustration and try to keep this Place as I had antisipated it was when i joined a few years back .
    Hmmmm?? Im getting old and grumpy I Guess. ..:D

Moriarity and Stogy like this.
  21. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I never said people were not welcome here. Hell you don't even need to own a car to be a member. All I meant was if a person is not into traditional era correct builds why come here? It would be like a corvette guy joining a car club for mustangs only......

Mr.Norton, K13, Sancho and 5 others like this.
  22. PAracer

PAracer

Is this thread about what they call “Fat Shaming”?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

23. Roothawg

Roothawg

I wonder what you guys would argue about if they ever quit producing bias ply tires?

Petejoe likes this.
  24. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Can you still get them at tire stores these days,its been about 30 years since I last bought any and never thought to ask and back then they were cheaper and thats why I got them.

25. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Let’s move on to alternators , electric fans, T-5’s , Racks, electronic ignitions, airbags, and Vega boxes for a change.

seabeecmc likes this.
  26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sir may you take your hand and place gently on forehead to determine if all is okay as being here on the Hamb since 2005 and not knowing if bias ply tires are still available makes me feel the need to inquire...o_O

27. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Bias ply are Ginger
    Radials are Mary Ann

28. InstantT

InstantT
    from SoCal

I swapped radials onto my 56 Chrysler for a 600 mile road trip once. The difference was nominal, so the bias whites went back on.
    I drive my 58 f1 with bias plys and haul stuff with them. I'm certain radials would make zero difference on that suspension.
    I have seen radials look great on trad rods. I have also seen them kill a car.
    Bias always looks good.
    Pick the right radial.

Sent from my LGLS992 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Rand Man likes this.
  29. A Boner

A Boner

If you are running Coker American Classic tires and really like them please respond to this thread before it gets closed. The fact that no one has responded so far is making me wonder if they actually work well. Probably not going to buy some until a shit ton on the H.A.M.B. say they are a definite go.
    Also I wonder if they will ever be available in 16"?
    Please explain how asking how to make a hot rod more traditional looking is something that is improper for a H.A.M.B. discussion. Is this website only for 100% hard core traditional cars, or are traditional inspired cars ok?

30. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Hey a boner, look back on page two of this thread. pecker head has a set of Coker bias-look radial tires and he like them.

Geez, can't you guys pick different user names?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
    hotrodmano and Beanscoot like this.