Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects BRIAN MADE ME DO IT: 34 Roadster Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bandit Billy, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just couldn't take it more. Everyday I'm forced to check out FlyinBrian's progress on his '34 roadster while mine sits in the garage taunting me. I finally couldn't listen to the voices in my head any longer so I called the rollback and had her committed.
    upload_2017-11-6_15-51-8.png
    upload_2017-11-6_15-51-46.png
    upload_2017-11-6_15-52-29.png
    I don't have the facility (or the facilities for that matter) to paint B/C so it is off to a buddy's shop and his $25,000 paint booth. I have the body about 99% complete, his team will finish what is left and then we will de-frame and paint. The frame will come back home at that point so I can chalk it up in the rotisserie and finish my welding then we will B/C the frame to match. I'll spend the reminder of winter trying to remember how to put it back together.

I bought the paint earlier this year ago after Moose did this photo shop job for me and we held an election on the HAMB which went off with very little meddling from the "paint it black" camp.
    Maroon.jpg
    Maroon for the body, frame and tank and tan on the firewall and the entire underside of the body. The maroon is 69 ford Royal Maroon and the tan I selected plays nicely with my soft top. I may paint the underside of the hood tan as well, but I'm still deciding. I am going to two tone the '32 style dash in the car, it is easy to change if I hate it but I think it will look cool. My new red Alliance tag will look good on the tan glove box door. Mitch Kim will provide the striping later.

I'll post progress pics here over the next couple of weeks while we bury the body in color and clear.

My wife's only comment was "who is this Brian fellow, and where do I send the bill?"

2. Gonna look awesome if it turns out like the photo shop version!

Bandit Billy likes this.
  3. I like the color and wheels in the photo shop picture. Are you going to run those wheels or another?

Bandit Billy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. belair

belair

Sexy car, even in primer.

Bandit Billy likes this.

5. AHotRod

AHotRod

Awesome, will be watching

Bandit Billy likes this.
  6. slowmotion

slowmotion

Really like the color combo, but I'm an admitted whore for maroons anyways. Gonna look good!

Hnstray and Bandit Billy like this.
  7. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Motivation can come from any place at any time! Glad you found yours. Going to be a cool Hot Rod for sure! Joe

8. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, those are the tires and rims I'm using. The only thing I might change is the rear tires. I went with 28" tall cheaters and I may buy the 29" inch tall tires and sell these.
    As am I Slomo. I toyed with painting it black which would have been fantastic, but maroon is such a perfect ford color.
    It will surpass the photo shop, I built some tricky stuff into her. I cant wait to drive it.
    It been nearly 5 years since I started building the flathead, it's easy to lose motivation. The HAMB helps keep me focused and moving. Long live hot rodding.

9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Of course!:cool:

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  10. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I'm glad I'm a bad influence. ;-) That color is the very same that I had on my '48 Pontiac convert. Love it on that, and love it on the '34. Too bad your body doesn't have 4 different paint jobs on it like mine had. Looks like you need a vintage Argentinian repop grill with pimply chrome to replace that cardboard one. I know a guy...

11. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, saw one of those in the classifieds :cool:

I couldn't let you have all the fun!

12. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

13. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So, a question is posed from the man that wields the paint gun, since I am painting the firewall, the underside of the body and the underside of the hood the tan color I picked out, shouldn't I be painting the inside of the inner fenders to match? I have not seen examples of this done that I have paid attention to so I ask you, do I? Should I?

It's easy enough o change if it looks like arse.

14. IMHO,it would be too much. HRP

15. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Exactly my concern. It is a small space but I had never even considered it prior HRP. Thanks for the input

16. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Billy, I`m glad you made a paint decision. I have a little time Saturday, I`ll give you a call.:)

17. Maybe I missed it earlier; but why is the firewall and inner side of the hood not getting body color?

18. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like the look of the white fire walls, the tan or cream I picked out is that idea just tinted down a bit to make it warmer like the top color. Think early Indian motorcycle colors.
    upload_2017-11-7_21-27-35.png
    I decided to paint the entire bottom of the car that color to separate it visually from the frame when it is seen from below. The underside of the hood was an afterthought but I thought it would cool when propped open (one piece hood). I made two hood braces that I will chrome plate. The flathead is Maroon (body color, my avatar). I thought the contrast under the hood was unique and cool.

I have been wrong before...its been a while but my wife remembers

19. The37Kid

The37Kid

Body color on the inner fender wells, otherwise it will clash with the wide whitewalls:rolleyes:

Bob

20. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So the car is at the painter, de-bodied the frame after some final fitment up front. I hauled the frame home, removed the suspension and threw it on the home made rotisserie I built out of a couple old engine stands. It works great., here is the HAMB requisite pics
    frame1.jpg
    frame2.jpg
    frame3.jpg
    I cut the uprights off the stands and welded them back on without the lean back. I added a u-joint from a trans am driveline that I had lying around to one end, it makes it spin effortlessly. It has just enough clearance to make a full rotation without hitting the stands. I love it when a plan come together. Time to clean up the welds and add a few new ones. I had only tacked the brackets on the frame during mock up, now it is time to finish the job correctly.

The strange brackets on the top rail is due to the fact that my Speed 33 body is heavily channeled but I wanted a more stock appearance.

The paint shop wants the frame back pronto so I have a busy weekend ahead. The frame will get a B/C maroon paint job to match the body.

21. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks for the U-joint tip in the rotisserie. Looks like some clear plastic will get rolled out if it is in the "booth" now, wear a good mask. Bob

Runnin shine likes this.
  22. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It doesn't look like it but there is a weekend full of welding and grinding ahead of me to get that frame ready to paint next week. But the garage is heated and my drink is iced.

23. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Weekend cheers Billy but be careful with that grinder!

Bandit Billy likes this.
  24. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Will do Doug. Ill have to take a pic of the Kevlar apron a friend made me for grinding after an incident with a Chinese made grinding disc. I feel naked without it when the sparks are flying.

RockinRivi and chryslerfan55 like this.
  25. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Thanks for painting that picture for us.
    Careful which "dingleberries" your grinding!

26. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hate sparkling dingleberries! :eek:

I need to either replace some pieces with chrome ones or take these in and get them plated. Ladder bars, pan hard rod (rear), maybe the super slide semi elliptical springs and the 11" backing plates. Who did you use?

27. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

? Me?
    Haven't done chrome in years.
    TFC Plating did my electroless nickel plating.

28. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

yeah you, I remember seeing a blanket laid out with all your treasures and trinkets on it.

29. Love this car Billy. Going to be a exceptional hot rod.:cool::)