Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Dawn Hebert

Dawn Hebert

Good to know thank you for the the heads up on that so im not chasing info on the wrong Ray Hebert!

loudbang and flatheadtommy like this.
  2. r156

r156

Info on converting hydramatic to Gm 400 in 56 Olds

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

Good luck with your research, Dawn! Unfortunately, I can't be of much help - the only entries I have for your great uncle are his final one, and another accident at the same track a few months earlier (1934 Oct 7, consolation race). He was probably racing with the New England Big Car Racing Association at the time, at tracks like Readville, Attleboro, Marshfield, Northampton, Topsfield, Marlborough, Brockton or Weymouth in Massachusetts, Monroe, Windsor, Avon or Huntington in Connecticut, Dover, Newmarket or Keene in New Hampshire. Possibly also guesting with the AAA at Rutland or Essex Junction in Vermont, Danbury or Stafford Springs in Connecticut, or with the IMCA at Springfield in Massachusetts. Top drivers of the NEBCRA at the time were Johnny Figueirado of Cohasset (1934 champion), Bob King of Waltham (1935 champion), Charles Stover, Joe Silvia, Oscar Ridlon, Doc Morris, Johnny Buttas, Joe Sostilio, Dizzy Vance, Herman Delisle and Ira Keizer of Massachusetts, Dick Shuebruk and Hal French of New Hampshire, Al Jepsen of Connecticut, Gene Trinque of Rhode Island, Fred Carlson of New York and Sonny Martin of Maine. Perhaps this'll give you a lead or two to work with! :)

flatheadtommy and loudbang like this.
  4. Dawn Hebert

Dawn Hebert

Thank you for your input Michael much appreciated! i will put what you gave me in his folder i have started.
    Thanks Again
    Dawn

loudbang likes this.
  5. Dawn Hebert

Dawn Hebert

Hi Tommy I got your message and have been straight out busy i will be in Lowell 10/11/17 to take my mom to the Dr ill call you when im in Lowell getting ready to head home ill try to call again around 6pm..thank you again Dawn

loudbang likes this.
  6. wagoon78

wagoon78
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Finally got my hands on a vintage sprint car. Car number 27. Built in 1935 and raced through the late 40's. Came with a pile of history when I bought it. Originally a Riley 4 port but the engine was separated from the car a while ago. Tried to hunt down a Riley 4 port and couldn't so I found a miller OHV head with Winfield carb and will be getting a motor built for that. Hope to get it back race ready and have some fun with it.
    s-l160018.jpg sprint car.jpg s-l1600c.jpg head.jpg

7. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

Nice find! Hope you get to sling some dirt!

Black vette 59 and loudbang like this.
  8. unassembled

unassembled
    from San Diego

Well, after seven years I finally finished the South Bay Auto Body Special. :) Literally found in a pile with another sprinter, it was like putting a gigantic jigsaw puzzle together, without the box. Built originally in 1960, the car remains 97% original and anything that was replaced, was replaced with the exact same part, right down to the part number! I've shown it a few times and, in its only competitive show, it won first place. I may now have a chance to put in the San Diego Auto Museum for a short time in 2018. After that, it goes on the track!

More info at www.CRAsprinter.com.

Sprint Car 9.3.17  (67M1).jpg
    Sprint Car 9.3.17 (114M) .jpg

Sprint Car 9.3.17  (235M).jpg

Sprint Car 9.3.17  (248M).jpg

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  9. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

great job! Ol' Porky.

thx

loudbang likes this.
  10. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

11. Lil32

Lil32

great work
    enjoy the drive in the future

loudbang likes this.
  12. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

Stunning build!! Looks very clean and detailed!!

loudbang likes this.
  13. ...that is so nice....it's a credit to you sir....

loudbang likes this.
  14. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

good save!

loudbang likes this.
  15. unassembled

unassembled
    from San Diego

Yea, I actually caught that two days after the photographer did the shoot and it was corrected, then. Dyslexic sign painter... even he thought it was funny!

loudbang likes this.
  16. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

17. unassembled

unassembled
    from San Diego

now it's perfect... touche LOL o_O

loudbang likes this.
  18. loudbang

loudbang

Now it's perfection :)

19. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

RIP - Bob Kinser. Steve's father and a hell of a racer in his own right.

loudbang likes this.
  20. Looking for any info about this 38 Studebaker Champ car. George Balster Special.jpg

97" wheel base. Seiberling 6.50 15 rear tires Firestone 7.35 15 fronts

1938 226 Studebaker built to 235cu in, 3 carbs Stamped H 27225(1938) Has Brass plate " NEBR 2-2457 " NEBR Tag.jpg
    TWO AAA Champ Id plates
    1952 AAA # 560 . Owner was George Balster and Driver ... 1952 Pikes Peak Hillclimb.........
    Balster was 54, and not quick enough to qualify

Original pre-War from Nebraska... built in Leavenworth Prison while Balster was an inmate in the mid 40's

Unusual for a Champ Car , the car has original 4 wheel hydraulic brakes , 3 speed trans with clutch , electric start ,making this a great for preWar Vintage Road Racing.

It runs and drives very well, and I am looking for anyone with AAA Registration Numbers Records information.

Dave Perry OldSchool Restorations of North Alabama U.S.A. [email protected]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    loudbang likes this.
  21. ..Also hunting info on my Ranger aircraft 440cu in aircooled engine powered IMCA Big Car from Kansas.

ugly 1950's Ground Pounder , not easily forgotten, if you have seen it before

Dave Perry OldSchool Restorations of North Alabama USA [email protected]

.. DSC_0346.JPG

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    tractorguy and loudbang like this.
  22. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Hard to imagine how they got an inline six with a clutch / three-speed trans inside a 97" wheelbase.

loudbang likes this.
  23. vintageracer37

vintageracer37

Malcolm Brazier ran the Pikes Peak Hill Climb from 1951 to 1976

24. cresentwrench

cresentwrench

I think you mean IMCA - International Motor Contest Assn. They ran that type of motor until the small block Chev. took over.

25. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I wonder how much horsepower a Ranger six made? Were they high tech, 4-valve-per-cylinder, etc. or just a cheap, lightweight throwaway airplane engine? Needless to say they were much bigger than the Miller / Offys. How did they compare power-wise?

[EDIT: I just Googled it. They made between 175 and 200 hp, depending on compression ratio (between 6:1 and 7.5:1) at 2450 RPM.]

That leads me to wonder how much they were hopped up for auto racing usage. Certainly some reliability compromises could have been made in the name of more power.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  26. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

I would call them high tech and light weight. SOHC with roller followers, two valves per cylinder, hemi head, running inverted with a dry sump oil system. Compression was raised by utilizing progressively higher domed pistons. Seven main bearings and a 4 1/8" bore with a 5 1/2 " stroke. Forged crank, chrome moly forged I beam rods, and chrome moly forged cylinder barrels, 375 pounds. Plenty of torque to pull and Offy out of the turns on a heavy track.

Del Fanning at Aurora Speedway in Seattle was running up to 5,000 rpm, claimed over 400 hp for his lay down Ranger. He was beating the Chevy V-8's into the early '60's. I Presume he had pistons with compression above 11:1 running alcohol.

Oddly enough, I just spent the day beginning teardown on a Ranger.

What is a throwaway airplane engine?

27. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

a lot of ranger info out there[vintage sprint car page on Facebook etc]440 cubic inch,air cooled,single overhead cam.when the whole airplane[usually a fairchild PT-19]could be bought for a couple hundred right after WWII,you would have to consider the engine as cheap.In the aircraft the engine was mounted with the crankshaft up and the pistons pointing down,so in the car its actually mounted upside down and backwards!most modifications were limited to multiple carbs[hilborn even made a few injectors for the ranger]

Speedwrench and 39 Aaron NZ like this.
  28. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

"what is a throw away airplane engine?" any one without logbooks LOL

loudbang likes this.
  29. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

While not intending to dis the Ranger engine in particular or airplane engines in general I think some target drone engines and the like - maybe even engines for trainers as opposed to front-line weaponry - were probably intended to be short life, easy to manufacture pieces. I see that the Ranger has some desirable attributes that probably place it above that class, not the least of which would be the ability to get 400 HP from a 375 lb powerplant.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    loudbang likes this.
  30. brasscarguy

brasscarguy
    from seattle

QUOTE="28dreyer, post: 12300252, member: 47743"]I would call them high tech and light weight. SOHC with roller followers, two valves per cylinder, hemi head, running inverted with a dry sump oil system. Compression was raised by utilizing progressively higher domed pistons. Seven main bearings and a 4 1/8" bore with a 5 1/2 " stroke. Forged crank, chrome moly forged I beam rods, and chrome moly forged cylinder barrels, 375 pounds. Plenty of torque to pull and Offy out of the turns on a heavy track.

Del Fanning at Aurora Speedway in Seattle was running up to 5,000 rpm, claimed over 400 hp for his lay down Ranger. He was beating the Chevy V-8's into the early '60's. I Presume he had pistons with compression above 11:1 running alcohol.

Oddly enough, I just spent the day beginning teardown on a Ranger.

What is a throwaway airplane engine?[/QUOTE]

I was running with the unlimited hydros in the early 60's. Del Fanning had a speed shop and wire wheel service shop, up on auto row in Seattle. Someone talked him into driving an unlimited hydroplane. It was sponsored by a rental company "The Tool Crib". He actually turned some good qualifying times but did not fare well in traffic. That hydro sat on the roof of the old Lake Union Cafe for years until they remolded the place. He was a very gritty character.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

tractorguy and loudbang like this.