Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Back from the Dead

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by quicksilverart46, Nov 6, 2017.

1. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

2. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You, sir, are a man of few words...but a cool panel!

loudbang, quicksilverart46 and Stogy like this.
  3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All that Halloween candy helped bringer back poised in avitar launch stance...go go go..reborn one...
    hey nice garage...:rolleyes:

4. bchctybob

bchctybob

Glad to see it taking shape again, it's a legendary car in SoCal hot rod lore. Care to fill us in on what happened? Pictures? It's all part of the tale after all.

loudbang and quicksilverart46 like this.

5. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

For some reason I can't post the story to go with the photo. I tried twice so I give up for now.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. bchctybob

bchctybob

I just noticed; are those early Airheart disc brakes? Very cool....

loudbang likes this.
  7. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

Yes they are are Airheart Calipers. You have a good eye. They are in the rear too with a big '57 Pontiac rear end with Willwood hats and rotors on all four.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  8. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

I will try to condense the story as best I can. I Drive out to the 2014 Antique nationals at Fontana with the wrinkle walls and jack stuffed in back all set to finally get a low 11 second time. The traction at the track was very good and sticky and so good that on the first morning run it did a big wheelie then Bogged and dropped hard then sprang back to life and did a 11.65 at 118. Not bad and I figured that the light flywheel needed more RPMS to avoid the serious bog. On the second run I launched pedal to the floor and it pulled a bigger wheelie and again it bogged and really dropped hard.
    What caused the wreck was dropping so hard killed the front tires and must have torn the nylon cords where the tread meets the sidewall because the right front ripped apart at sidewalk thru the the lights again at 118 mph. This set the car on a diagonal course from the left lane across to the right side K rail. I tried to steer it but the spool just pushed the little 4" wide left front on a collision course so I locked up the brakes and skidded into the wall at a shallow angle and must have slid along the first block and pushed it over exposing the second rail corner. That corner destroyed the grill, fender, axel,main leaf and broke the Halibrand while pushing it and the popped tire into the headers mangling it too. Then it caught The fender extension and ripped it clean off the door was laying on the track but that's not all. Fortunately it barely scraped the door and quarter panelwith virtually no damage but then in the final blow it caught the fender on the rear flattened it and popped the slick and broke the Hellenbrand all right off at the flange while at the same time bending the outer into the housing and the big 35 spline gun drilled axle back about 3 inches. The impact not the rear slick right off the car it was laying on the track also.
    As it turns out the bog was caused by me forgetting to put vent tube extensions on my Harley's to keep the fuel/from spilling over those causing the bogwhich caused the tire impact that they were never designed for and ripping the cords internally.
    So the lesson here is any big wheel stands that drop hard is to back off and stop the run and replace the tires as soon as possible. If I can finish the car by The Mooneyes show and drag I will be sure to have float vent extensions installed.

czuch, Chucky, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Wow - a time when it is good that safety of driver is enforced - anyone record this wild ride? glad that you were able to get it back together to run again

loudbang likes this.
  10. belair

belair

Really like the car. 46 is the best looking of the bunch.

11. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

I have not been able to find any video footage of either of my runs that day. I sure would like to see a video of the wheelie and the bog so I can see how hard the front tires hit when it dropped.

czuch and loudbang like this.
  12. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Such a cool car. Glad to see it coming back together. Also glad you weren't seriously hurt. Cars can (and will in this case) be fixed easier than human bodies.

13. Those "Hellenbrand" wheels areRare,rare.rare....

czuch, belair and loudbang like this.
  14. bchctybob

bchctybob

Thanks for the first hand report. Wow, I didn't know that much damage was done. A buddy of mine said it looked like it was just the front axle, wheel and fender. Sorry to hear of all the carnage. Were you able to find replacement Halibrands or are you going with something else?
    So glad you didn't get hurt. Also glad the ol' panel wasn't totaled. Hope you make it to Mooneyes, good luck.

czuch, quicksilverart46 and loudbang like this.
  15. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry to hear of the misfortune with your Chevy, it’s always been one of my favorites. Best of luck getting her ironed out.

quicksilverart46 and loudbang like this.
  16. 1. You made it
    2. The panel did, too
    3. #1 again

17. loudbang

loudbang

WHEW glad at least YOU came out of it ok. Good to see it coming back from disaster

quicksilverart46 likes this.
  18. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

Thank you very much.

bowie and loudbang like this.
  19. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

Thanks bro

bowie and loudbang like this.
  20. Jeez man, sucks but glad it wasn't worse and you're able to rebuild that cool panel and pull wheelies again. be5e3965903a48cf883dd2d5b52fe63a.jpg

21. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

loudbang likes this.
  22. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

I still have my 16" Halibrands with the puecrust M&H slicks but now I am going to run the Aluminum Rebel sprints up front They look exactally like the Halibrands. Also a have a pair skinny ET American clones for an alternative look. They are not Magnesium and that sucks but they are the next best thing to real Mag.

loudbang and bchctybob like this.
  23. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I take 250 mg of magnesium every day. Cool ride keep on man!

czuch, quicksilverart46 and loudbang like this.
  24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@quicksilverart46 I was poking fun earlier and did not realize that you'd been through some hot water. So I'd just like to say your okay, the Chevy pulled through with some repairable wounds and you gleaned through the bad...some good. Learning comes with a high price sometimes but ya pick up the pieces and soldier on. Nose Up High...always...Wishing safe times going forward...;)...and post some pics when ya getta chance.

25. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

Right! It's amazing that I felt nothing and the car did not barrel roll or bend the frame.

loudbang and chevy57dude like this.
  26. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

You posted my favorite photo . thanks bro..

swade41 and loudbang like this.
  27. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Headers look Bad Ass Larry, cant wait to hear it Thump Again.....
    Scott

28. Best of luck and hope to see it roar at Mooneyes in December. And the Southeast Gasser guys asked about you, want to invite you over there next season.

29. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

Thanks.. I just got a Jackson fuel injection from Augie but no time yet to set it up . With stack injection I may be able to compete with the Southeast boys but even with Fuel injection I Will only break into the 10's but that's not quick enough to even stand a chance of winning against any of their C/Gas cars .

30. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

If I was still racing and had the opportunity to run those SEG guys I'd be proud to say they put me on the trailer, boy that would be a long drive back to Oregon though.

saltflats and quicksilverart46 like this.