Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1948 Willys Overland Gasser build and a question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by INJUNTOM, Nov 2, 2017.

1. INJUNTOM

INJUNTOM

Doing dad's Willys as a Gasser, and want to put the big class decals in the windows - I see a few on ebay (S/S, B/G, SS/AA, A/FX), checking to see what would be accurate for this thing. Front wheels have been pushed forward a few inches. 455 Pontiac, Doug nash tunnel ram.

Attached Files:

2. I'm popping the corn,,,hehehehe

kiwijeff, OL 55, X38 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Larry T

Larry T

Front wheels pushed forward changes classes to Altered.

loudbang and Special Ed like this.
  4. INJUNTOM

INJUNTOM

So, A/Something? I saw that FX is factory experimental, so leaves that out I guess.

5. I'm sure there's a class designation for this, but damned if I know what it'd be. Just choose letters that look good to you. Then make up a story about what the letters mean. Yeah,,that's the ticket...

kiwijeff and Special Ed like this.
  6. oldolds

oldolds

If I remember correctly. Classes for Gas and altered are determined by weight per cubic inch formula. Then if it is supercharged, ect. The class breakdowns seemed to change every few years. There are old rule books online. Search and learn what works for your car.

loudbang likes this.
  7. Fordors

Fordors

I’m not so sure the Gas class permitted moving the front axle forward, but regardless I guess the car can be built to resemble a Gas class car. I’m not a fan of the front wheels, but then again I’m not signing the checks.
    Gas Coupe and Sedan permitted (not mandatory) a 10% engine setback while an Altered could have the engine set back a full 25% of the wheelbase.That measurement was taken from a king pin to the forward most spark plug. As said above class designation was set by lbs/cubic inches, so maybe B/G might not be too far off.

8. ...keep us posted on this project,..looks interesting,...here's a nice one that showed up at the Meltdown Drags this last Summer..
    2017 meltdown 105.jpg 2017 meltdown 106.jpg 2017 meltdown 108.jpg

41 coupe and loudbang like this.
  9. Larry T

Larry T

I just picked up a 1966 rulebook and (assuming the car weighs somewhere around 3000 lbs) it would work out to B/A (6.00 - 7.99 lbs/cubic inch) with the 455 in it. That's with a stretched wheelbase which would keep it out of the Gas classes.

X38 and Special Ed like this.
  10. INJUNTOM

INJUNTOM

As far as the wheelbase, it's only a couple inches and may not be noticeable, especially with the flat fenders, but we thought it looked cool enough

Attached Files:

11. Larry T

Larry T

If you're after accurate, the rulebook states stock wheelbase and I never saw a tech crew without a tape measure.
    If you just want something close, the sky's the limit.

12. OK, I'll say it. Slam it down in the weeds and build a cool cruiser out of it. Everything does NOT have to be a "gasser".

kiwijeff, loudbang, hotroddon and 2 others like this.
  13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I couldn't sleep either Dean.

hotroddon and Dean Lowe like this.
  14. southcross2631

southcross2631

With the front wheels moved forward, you would have been in the altered classes. The altered wheelbase Mopars ran in altered before they got their own classes. Down in Miami , the Southeast Chrysler Plymouth sponsored car usually ran B/altered in weekend class eliminations.
    We ran a model a coupe with the front end stretched a few inches and ran C/altered.

INJUNTOM and loudbang like this.
  15. Fordors

Fordors

You guys worry too much. They are building a car that to them will represent a Gas class car, nobody beats up another guy with a well known altered wheelbase car often described as a “gasser”.
    A stretched Model A as an altered BITD? Sounds cool, but I think you left some on the table with that combination. If the wheelbase had been shortened rather than lengthened more weight would be on the rear wheels with the allowed 25% setback.
    My recollection of Willys back then was there were slightly different chassis that varied in w/b by two inches and many guys used that to their advantage.
    One last thing. When Don Long built the “Ultimate “ gasser, with the build featured in Hot Rod Magazine (about 50 yrs. ago) the wheelbase measured as built at the factory. Long moved the body back a few inches in a unique interpretation of the rules. IIRC that was not mentioned in the article, but perfectly obvious when you looked at the photos.

16. squirrel

squirrel

uh....use white shoe polish.

INJUNTOM, loudbang, Dean Lowe and 2 others like this.
  17. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Just build it the way you want and enjoy. If you want lettering in the rear window then put something like 2/K [ To Kool ] and have fun . Otherwise the so called experts on here will pick it apart , you will get upset and stop posting and I will miss out on following some one build something cool and different! Life is to short---- Enjoy it !! Larry

18. Larry T

Larry T

19. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Anything but a woodpecker decal!

INJUNTOM, 18n57 and Dean Lowe like this.
  20. Yes, those are only for '34 coupes. ;)

kiwijeff likes this.
  21. I weep for the future historians of Hot Rodding and Drag Racing........

Special Ed, Larry T, X38 and 2 others like this.
  22. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

It will be slim pickn's for them I predict based on the current mateial.
    Try as they may the 60's and 70's will never be duplicated.

Larry T likes this.
  23. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Personally I think Jeeps make better four wheel drives than race cars, but you ain’t the first to build one...[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My advice would be to put the axle back in the stock location and get different front wheels if you think you need to build a “GASSER” there are far too many half thought out cars running around and it’s not getting better...

24. INJUNTOM

INJUNTOM

Wouldn't be my first pick either, but I grew up in this thing the first 10 years of my life, looks pretty crusty now after sitting outdoors for 40 years. He passed away a few months ago and my stepmom and I would like to see it roll again. Not too much into 4x4 myself...actually never was but grew up flying up hills in this thing with white knuckles. It was a beast with 327 small journal, Muncie 4 speed and 5.38 gears. Our favorite thing was to sit on top of a hill and watch everyone try to come up and not able to. There was never anything that could keep up with it.