Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Torque converter selection

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cretin, Nov 5, 2017.

1. cretin

cretin

Hey guys,
    Although I haven't posted here, I've been working on getting the '54 Chevy frame ready for powdercoating. While it's at powdercoat, I'm trying to get everything ready for assembly of the frame when it comes back, so I can assemble, and plumb, etc. So, it will be time to connect the engine and trans together for real. I need a torque converter, but know nothing about them, so I need some advice.

As stated, the car is a '54 chevy. I have a 350 crate engine for it that I have left stock internally. It is the 350 HO and is rated at 330hp, with a max rpm of 5,500. I am running a 4L60E behind it. The car is a custom, and will be put back into service as my daily driver, so good street characteristics are important. So, what would be a good torque converter for my application?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. mohead1

mohead1

Pick the company whose converter you want. Tell them the engine and trans details, rear gearing, weight of car, intended purpose of car. They will recommend and build what you need or tell you what off the shelf converter to use. It will be mild, prob 2200-2600 range max

Hollywood-East and tfeverfred like this.
  3. As your O/D trans has a deep 1st gear and you wish for good street characteristics, my experience says range of 2-2,200 stall.............as your O/D will likely provide engine rpm of 2,000 @ 70 mph, this converter range will also be minimal slip then and help with ATF heat control..........

4. southcross2631

southcross2631

Let me recommend Alan Pope racing torque convertors. He has been doing my stuff for years.
    He is in Callahan, Florida. 904-845-4767.

5. No good reason to do any more than this, that I can see.

6. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Yeah, if you want to minimize heat in the trans at cruising speed you'll want the converter to be fully engaged by then. If cruising RPM is 2000 for instance, than you'll want the stall speed lower than that. With a low range 1st gear in a 5 speed trans, in a daily driver street oriented car you don't need, or want, a higher stall speed.

7. squirrel

squirrel

cam specs:

Hydraulic flat tappet
    Duration @ .050" Lift( Deg): Intake: 212 / Exhaust: 222
    Maximum Lift (in) W/ 1.5 Rocker: Intake: .435 / Exhaust: .460
    Lobe Centerline ( deg): 112.5
    Technical Notes: Used in 350 HO and CT350 engines

sounds like these guys are right...2000-2200 would be right where you want to be with this engine

8. All true, but we're also talking about a lock up trans and converter here.

Blues4U likes this.
  9. cretin

cretin

Cool. Thanks guys.

10. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Good point Mark, thanks for clarifying