Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1956 Pontiac Gasser 389 swap (Finally Running)

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by wvenfield, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Okay, sure. In that case, use a single center (three tube ) header ,and massage it to go around the front of the box, and down..Never know the difference. Center two are joined inside the head anyway, so no benefit from 4 tubes.

loudbang and wvenfield like this.
  2. BLACK STUDE

BLACK STUDE

Get those Chevy headers, then j bends in your tube diameter. Cut tubes and move them where they need to go. This is the left side header from my 55 stude with a big block Buick. No. 3 and 5 had to go around the steering box, went outside the frame, then back underneath to meet the collector. Used slip joints to get it off and on.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
    loudbang, 31hotrodguy and wvenfield like this.
  3. 55chieftain

55chieftain

4. wvenfield

wvenfield

Ordered a clutch disc on Tuesday......"Will be here Thursday".....call Thursday......"No, but FedEx hasn't been here yet". Call Friday......"No". Call today......."I don't even see the order in the computer, do you still have the part number"?

Never mind......

Anyway, done with the rant........Bill. What pedals did you use?

As to an earlier discussion...............this is why I can't get stuff done.....too much back and forth on what to do.....LOL

Bill, did you roll your wheelwells? I talked to the guy with the really nice red 56 StarCheif and while his are nice, that is a lot of work. :D

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
    1947knuck and loudbang like this.
  5. 55chieftain

55chieftain

I used a 55 chevy pedal assembly but found a longer brake pedal off a f250 to make it longer. I mounted it above where the wiring goes thru the firewall. Had to cut the back end off it so it would clear the speedometer cluster. Than made a bracket to support the end of it. Using a 1" bore 85 dodge 5th ave master. like $35 new at autozone.

On the wheelwells on mine I took a jackstand to support a steel rod level with center of axle and used a string and marker to make the outline, had to do a little sheetmetal work on front edge. But welded 3/8 brake line centered on the sheetmetal than went over it with some bondo. Really nice strong smooth edge when it was all done.

Rolling them out may end up making them worse lol, I don't have any experience with that

1947knuck, loudbang and wvenfield like this.
  6. wvenfield

wvenfield

Not super impressive but in the interest of making a record of progress (even if not large) we did get the emergency brake working. 56 Pontiac and 69 Pontiac are not the same.

DSC_2239.jpg DSC_2237.jpg

After the problem getting the clutch disc I said "screw it" and we cleaned up the one that came with the drivetrain to start with. Going to try and do it simple and use linkage.

DSC_2240.jpg

I'm thinking long term........Everything snowballs. The firewall looked so good that I said. "let's paint the rest of the white as it's pretty shabby". Plans are for now to maybe cut the wheel wells. Long term buy a set of 55 Nomad wheel well panels.

7. 55chieftain

55chieftain

8. wvenfield

wvenfield

Looks very similar to the Nomad ones I saw.

On hold a few days. Snapped the head off a flywheel bolt. (yes, was using a torque wrench) No one in the area has them. One was a ground down bolt so I just ordered a new set.

9. wvenfield

wvenfield

10. D-man313

D-man313

Do you have anymore close up pictures of the motor mounts and headers?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang likes this.
  11. wvenfield

wvenfield

I will get better pics of the motor mounts. There are some of them being made earlier in the thread. Those headers are just sitting in place at the moment. I will post pics as we adapt them to fit.

12. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

This is going to be a sweet ride. That gold frame looks good.

13. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

wvenfield here is what your car could look like with '55 Nomad fenderwells. Not to scale but hopefully close. It would make it a whole lot easier if you had to pull the wheels between rounds. Changed the shoes too. 2 56 Poncho wvenfield Nomad  F-well n new shoes.jpg

14. wvenfield

wvenfield

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

1947knuck, loudbang and OahuEli like this.
  15. manicmachanic

manicmachanic
    from Berwyn, IL

They are PIPE benders not tube benders. There are utube vids on how to convert the HF pipe bender to a tube bender. The biggest problem is the way pipe and tube are measured.

16. manicmachanic

manicmachanic
    from Berwyn, IL

I would go with the Nomad, Safari skins. Just looks better.

loudbang likes this.
  17. wvenfield

wvenfield

That's what I am thinking.

18. manicmachanic

manicmachanic
    from Berwyn, IL

Use Hemi bolts. Heads are thicker. Not like the wafer Pont. bolts. Which are hard to keep a socket on. Same thread depth and same socket head size.

19. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Do you have a steel SFI flywheel?

loudbang likes this.
  20. wvenfield

wvenfield

No clue on the flywheel.

loudbang likes this.
  21. wvenfield

wvenfield

Only took two days of cleaning. I hope it will still work.

DSC_2463.jpg

Motor Mounts. (shouldn't that be engine mounts)? (as per the earlier request)

DSC_2465.jpg

31hotrodguy, 1947knuck and loudbang like this.
  22. The SFI flywheel question was in regard to the SEMA certification required by NHRA tracks for certain classes and brackets. Same would go for the pressure plate and the disc. This supposedly makes those pieces explosion resistant anyway
    Sounds like you have none of the above, plus it looks like you're using an aluminum bellhousing.
    The diaphragm p.p.'s are particularly "grabby" as in either in or out, and like to break parts.
    So, if you're still planning on running real slicks and running in the 12's, some of us appear to be concerned whether you'll just lose your 8.2 rear or lug nuts, or possibly your real nuts, first.:eek:

loudbang likes this.
  23. wvenfield

wvenfield

I don't live close enough to any track to worry about qualifying by the book. The closest tracks are 1/8 and you pretty much run what you brung. I am not building to run in any competitive series.

The rear came out of a car running 10.5 inch slicks (grabbier winkle wall slicks and more HP than I will have) and held up over many passes. The drivetrain was being run in the Bonneville posted pages back. (though not quite the HP it has now).

It's a hobby car. If something breaks, we fix it.

1947knuck likes this.
  24. Pretty ,sure you missed salt flats and my point. We were concerned about the safety aspect here.

Does look like you don't have to worry about running in the 12's ,where you live.

Also you said the previous car with the rear was a stick shift. How much weight? ET? 60' times?. Launch RPM's?
    It's not necessarily horsepower that breaks parts, in spite of what you read on the internet.

loudbang likes this.
  25. wvenfield

wvenfield

55 Nomad. I don't recall his times but he ran it hard. Quit running it as it was going too fast for the safety equipment he had.

My 316 and rear end is now in this car. It's now a GMC 316.

nomad.jpg

26. 55chieftain

55chieftain

How are you hooking up your steering to the pitman arm with the ball stud still on it? I cut the backside off where it's peened and pressed it out. 5/8" bolt fits nice and used the speedway draglink on mine.

27. wvenfield

wvenfield

I haven't got that far yet. :D

28. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Not sure how either, unless you can get the speedway drag link with a heim joint on the pitman arm end and tie rod for the other .

29. wvenfield

wvenfield

Pulling the ball right now.

P.S. the Nomad ran 7.23 in the 1/8.

30. wvenfield

wvenfield

Ordering a drag link.........will work fine and better yet, easy. Should have plenty of room for center pipes. I have a hex plug to replace the one that is there. Will have to do the under the column slip pipe on the back but.........I have a guy that said he would waterjet me a pair of flanges.........I'm thinking I will let him cut some body bushings also.

DSC_2472.jpg DSC_2473.jpg