Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Willys PU build....from sedan panels.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Kiwi Kev, Apr 22, 2012.

1. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

9sectruck likes this.
  2. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Thanks Randy, I've been wanting to do that for a long time. The sanctioned tracks over here don't like you burning out over the start line unless you're one of the pro classes, as this was just demos on an airfield I figured it was gonna be a good opportunity to have a go! :cool:

loudbang likes this.
  3. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Nice surprise in the mail this morning, a miniature Gas Junkie made by friend and talented modeler Steve Dartnell.
    P1020640.JPG P1020642.JPG

4. 9sectruck

9sectruck

The much anticipated Hot Rod Drags and the finale to the Gasser Circus season never really got started, the first day was a complete rain off which meant we would have no qualifying runs so first round pairings were drawn out of a hat.
    With no qualifiers, picking a dial in was always going to be a bit of a lottery so I chose the last run I had made which was 10.90 five weeks earlier, just my luck to draw one of the most consistent runners in our group so I know I had to cut a decent light.
    Managed to get away first with an .042 reaction time but went 2 tenths too slow and got beat.
    The irony of it all was on the next pass the truck ran 10.902!!
    Managed a new mph pb though at 121 so good to go out on a high.
    I also found this nice slow motion video on youtube of a rolling burnout from the weekend.
    Fast forward to 4min 46secs if you don't want to watch it all.
    May do a test n tune before the winter sets in and then I think I'll pull the trans and converter for a freshen up and finally get around to getting some more signwriting on the pickup bed.

5. Crease

Crease

My favorite H.A.M.B. Build to date. Congrats on such a well thought out build and a great result! Looks awesome!!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9sectruck likes this.
  6. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Winter upgrade time for the old truck, I decided to replace the front brake calipers with some new Wilwood 4 pots which meant manufacturing a pair of brackets from T6 aluminium.
    A bit of trial and error to get all the clearances correct which meant back and forth from the milling machine to the truck but I'm really pleased with how they turned out.
    I'll probably fly cut the Wilwood name off which will also remove the black anodising as they look a bit too modern and show through the front wheels.
    Caliper bracket1.jpg Caliper bracket3.jpg Caliper bracket4.jpg Caliper bracket5.jpg Caliper bracket6.jpg

swade41 and Gojeep like this.
  7. loudbang

loudbang

As usual that is some nice machining work.

9sectruck likes this.
  8. patman

patman

How about cutting some fins? Not enough meat to make them very deep, but fins would fit the theme better than flat.

9sectruck likes this.
  9. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Thats a very good call, I'll pull one apart and see how deep I can go, thanks for the idea! :cool:

10. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

From what i found Wilwood's engineers don't leave a lot of fat on anything.

9sectruck likes this.
  11. 9sectruck

9sectruck

You were right, not enough on there to cut grooves so I just milled the name off instead.

loudbang likes this.
  12. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Fame at last! We made the 2017 Mooneyes catalog! :cool: mooneyes.jpg

13. Congrats, that's very cool.

14. loudbang

loudbang

Congrats immortalized forever

15. catdad49

catdad49

Great, this is a fantastic build!

16. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

NICE WORK ON THE BRACKETS.id finish the wilwood script in black and leave the calipers alone.

17. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

From 'humble beginnings' to its present iconic state, this thread has immortalized this once nearly discarded Willys sedan.
    I've been 'thrilled' three times...First, when Kev brought it together with Chevy truck roof pieces...
    Second, when Ray got it done with his 'extreme machining', and drove it into the TENS!
    Finally, to see it in its present Rustoleum robe, displayed in the MOONeyes catalog!
    Bravo!

18. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Very poetic Mike it's certainly been a journey for what was once a pile of parts, thanks in no small part to Kevs imagination.
    Not many people would have the vision to build a truck from junkyard pieces.
    BTW the journeys not over yet, I'm determined to get the truck to live up to my HAMB username and knock on the door of the nines.

whiplash1923T and loudbang like this.
  19. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Decided to go old school and make some square section ladder bars, I used 30mm square x 3mm wall box and machined some 3/4" unf inserts out of round bar then milled some squares on one end to fit inside the box section, they are welded around the end and plug welded in two places for added security.
    The bars have now got a left and right hand adjuster on the bottom for ease of setting up.
    Nothing wrong with the bars that came with it but I think they suit the old timey look I'm trying to keep with the truck as I continue to change things. Ladder bar1.jpg Ladder bar2.jpg Ladder bar3.jpg

20. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

lots of nice work going into this little pickup ....

9sectruck likes this.
  21. 9sectruck

9sectruck

After a frustrating season of missed events, a snapped blower belt and a mysterious misfire that I finally traced back to a loose screw on the rotor arm in the magneto it all came down to the last Gasser Circus meeting at Shakespeare County Raceway for the Hot Rod Drags.
    A rain plagued first day resulted in one qualifier and a disappointing 11.53et. which put me way down the field in 15th.
    Sunday brought cool air and a nicely prepped track, first run saw a 10.95 at a slowing 105 mph for fear of breaking out of my dial in, didn't slow enough so lost out first round.
    Our series let's those eliminated run on the back of the next round so I figured after the last run I'd got the tune about right for a crack at a new pb which was previously 10. 90.
    I went looking for a similar timed gasser to match up against and Martyn Hallam in his 33 coupe was happy to oblige.
    We both dialled 10.80 to leave the startline together, what happened next has to be one of my most surprising runs down the 1/4 mile,. 004 reaction time 10.39 and 127 mph! Three personal bests for me in this truck, finally living up to the potential I always knew was there.
    Backed it up an hour later with a 10.44 so a great end to the season and to top off a great weekend I was presented with a superb piece of artwork of the truck by a supporter of the Gasser Circus.

22. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

Good job....Glad your getting figured out. Someday I will work on mine....

enloe likes this.
  23. catdad49

catdad49

Great to see all your hard work paying off! Are you having Fun yet?

9sectruck likes this.
  24. Gojeep

Gojeep
    from Australia

Great way to go out at the end of the season. :)

9sectruck likes this.
  25. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

That is really cool, I've followed this build and you've done a great job.

9sectruck likes this.
  26. zeph4057k

zeph4057k

you do all this shit and I cant even figure out a wobble in my front end of my willys !!!!!!! I QUIT !!!!!!!!!!!!

catdad49 likes this.
  27. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Well if your gonna quit I'll be by in the morning to get that wobbly ol willys outta your hair it will look real good next to my pickup lol

Chrome don't get ya home

catdad49 and mad mikey like this.
  28. zeph4057k

zeph4057k

IT'S AMAZING THE THINGS PEOPLE DO, I LOVE IT. sorry caps was on, that build was awesome huh? and thanks for the compliment :D

29. PA-IndianRider

PA-IndianRider

Glad to see some recent posts on this Willys pickup. I had the opportunity to visit KIWI KEV back when he was building your Willy's p/u. Was a great visit. Kev is a very talented fabricator/builder & all around nice guy.
    A REAL DEAL OLD SCHOOL HOT RODDER.

At the time I was working on an Opel Kadet station wagon (drag car). Since then have went thru a couple different projects. Luckily a series of events has given me the chance to purchase my all time hot rod. A '41 Willys Coupe.

Now IF I could just get Kiwi Kev in my garage ..... Ha.

Sent from my XT1650 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

hotrodtodd1960 likes this.
  30. PA-IndianRider

PA-IndianRider

elgringo71 likes this.