Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '37 LaSalle trans case / '38-'41 guts?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by dwollam, Oct 31, 2017.

1. dwollam

dwollam

I just picked up a '37 LaSalle trans case, cluster, t/o snout and a few more pieces. Will the '38-'41 LaSalle trans parts work in the '37 case? I have several '38-'41 trannys. I understand the t/o snout is different, I have both. I think one of the shafts on the '37 pokes out the front in some gear? Bellhousing or adapter needs a hole to allow that? Do I have workable parts or just goodies to sell?

Thanks,
    Dave

2. Gman0046

Gman0046

How are you going to shift a 37 LaSalle transmission which is a floor shift once you put the guts from a side shift transmission in it? You would be better off getting a three speed after market floor shifter for your side shift transmissions. This done all the time. You should be able to sell your 37 parts.

Gary

3. Eddie

Eddie
    from Georgia

As I understand it: The 38-53? guts, as well as 50 Olds V8 transmissions, (all that goes straight through, input to output will swap) Should you want to use the 38 and later cluster gear, which is not necessary, you must enlarge the case to accept the larger cluster gear shaft. Yes, bell housing needs a hole. All aftermarket Lasalle trans. adaptors have this hole as well as the 50 Olds V8 factory bell housing.
    I hope that your 37 case has all of the shift rails, forks, detents, etc. if not, you will probably never find these items.
    Eddie

duncan and 302GMC like this.
  4. ^^^^^^^^what he said, I concur.

5. He'd probably shift the 37 transmission the way it's supposed to be shifted... with the floor shifter.
    The gears don't know if they're supposed to be floor shift or side shift.

6. Paul

Paul
    Editor

what Eddie said except that the '50 Olds bell would need to be drilled for the shifter shaft.
    do a search here, there are quite a few threads covering the Cad LaSalle transmissions.
    I did a gut swap from a '50 Olds into a '37 Cad case and posted a posted a very brief thread here.

7. 31pickemup

31pickemup

37 Larger clustergear shaft is 15/16" and 38's are 1" you can bore the 37 case out and use 38-later insides. And yes this will also let you use 50 Olds guts. Also if you need parts I know a guy that has about whatever you need

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
    The Indian likes this.
  8. 31pickemup

31pickemup

1937 Lasalle with 1950 Olds tailshaft
    EDD5F63F-F423-4E8D-A51B-AF5C0554CF41.jpeg

51 mercules and Paul like this.
  9. Gman0046

Gman0046

canuck, do you know for a fact that 37 floor shift forks will operate a side shift transmission? The shifter locations are 90 degrees from each other. I seriously doubt the shifter rail are the same.

10. He's not putting a floor shift top on a side shift case. He's taking the gears out of a side shift case and putting them into a floor shift case. :rolleyes:

Also, for reference, 40-48 Ford side shift gears will fit in a 39 floor shift transmission as well. Again, they don't know how they're supposed to be shifted.

48fordnut likes this.
  11. 31pickemup

31pickemup

Gman yes they are interchangable

12. Gman0046

Gman0046

Your right. Now that I think about it, we used to use 48 big Buick gears in a 37 Buick floor shift case.

13. Cross Rodder

Cross Rodder

What Eddie said ^^^ IMG_2177 (3).jpg

36 ROKIT and Paul like this.
  14. Paul

Paul
    Editor

what Cross Rodder said
    this one has all later guts except countershaft,
    and modified tail
    and bolted to a drilled '50 Olds bell

20160720_165956.jpg

treb11, stillrunners and IronFord like this.
  15. dwollam

dwollam

Thanks for all the replies guys! Cross Rodder, my Lasalle tranny, which ever I end up using, is going behind my '52 Chrysler 331 Hemi too. The later LaSalle is mocked up in it now. Thought the '37 would be a bit cooler. It's all in my '33 Plymouth Coupe.

I searched LaSalle trans but didn't really get the answers I was looking for, as far as swapping later into '37. Found lots of info on them, just not the answers you guys gave me.

31pickemup, I may need that info later.

Thanks again,
    Dave

don colaps likes this.
  16. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

What is the best method of repairing the worn slots on the very top of the case's shifter tower? Both of my 37 cases need help. Can the casting simply be welded up and new slots cut?

17. I had one with a broken piece in that area. The fella that bought it from me had a welder fix it. I do not believe that he was able to mig it.Had to use an old school method but it has been too long for me to recall the procedure.

18. Paul

Paul
    Editor

If welded it would likely involve preheating and high nickel rod.
    Depending on how bad the damage is you may be able build the area up with braze.
    Either way should be something a guy could do with basic shop equipment, arc welder or torch respectively.

19. Cross Rodder

Cross Rodder

Dave,

If your 37 case, forks and detents are good I would use it (simple clean setup). I did line bore my case to recieve the late cluster gear shaft. I dont know how much you have gotten into the 37 trans. yet but the snap ring on secound gear is the secret to getting it apart.

20. Cross Rodder

Cross Rodder

Thats a bumber. Those cases are getting hard to find. worst case; maybe deck and tap it to recieve a newly made piece? have a friend with a CNC? Just dont trash them.

21. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I have two spare cases with excessively worn thrust surfaces at the idler shaft rear.
    The repair procedure is beyond what I can do at home...
    Anybody know a machinist that can do miracles in the Seattle Tacoma area?

22. NORSON

NORSON

Yours sounds better than mine. P5290245.JPG P5290246.JPG

23. Maybe an idea here; check out how Mart addressed a worn thrust face on a Ford case.
    https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=231288

24. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Ouch, that hurts to look at.
    Looks like it needs a donor transplant of the entire tower.

Thanks for the link, I was envisioning most of those suggestions, will have to get on the computer later to view pictures and video as my phone isn't letting me right now. That Mart is one smart feller.

25. NORSON

NORSON

Like this?
    P5130239.JPG

IronFord, dwollam and tb33anda3rd like this.
  26. Paul

Paul
    Editor

ha!
    that looks like a lot of work there, and nicely done.
    definitely looks like some serious old school race tech there:
    side shift case with Ford top and output modified to bolt to banjo via torque tube that's just long enough to cover the coupler,
    I wouldn't be surprised if it only has the second/third gears in it too.

If the broken tower case were mine I would only replace the missing portion,
    using the existing part of tower to help locate the donor section

27. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Wow. That took a lot of work! Have you ever used it?

28. NORSON

NORSON

I picked it up at a swap meet a while back and yes, only two speeds. I believe it was built by Transmission Specialties back in the fifties. I bought another one about a year ago here on the HAMB. It's got all three speeds. Don't know if I'll ever use it, but it's real cool.
    Note: the Ford side shift front and adapter.
    Norm
    The plan is to "fix" the broken case......someday.

29. dwollam

dwollam

My sisters and I are dealing with my Mom in what are probably her last weeks or so of life. She is 87 and was pretty good until the last few weeks. Not eating any more. Lots of pain. As I am sure many of you know it is a full time job. My poor baby sis is also going through the same thing with her mother in law. On top of that, sis has Parkinsons. Needless to say I won't get to spend too much time on the cars for a while. Just little bits in between trips to Prineville to lend a hand. Thanks for the info guys. I WILL get back to this.

Dave

30. 31pickemup

31pickemup

If yours doesn’t have those parts I know a guy who will have them.