Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Haulin' ass in fiberglass

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mr T body, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

The '31 is wrapping up and I fell into this '32 3 window so I figured I'd start a real build thread on it. Some may have a few issues with it, but let me explain.
    First (and foremost), it's what I have. I'll never be able to afford a real Henry 3 window, so here I am. Second, I want something fast. I've had my share of built cars and want something more. Had built FE's, Y blocks and other assorted engines, but old won't get me where I want to be. There's already a 545 stroker sitting on the engine stand begging to be finished and that has got me thinking. It was spec'ed to only make 600 horse for my boat, but with a cam change can make a bit more. Throw a C6 behind it and it can be a fun toy.
    You won't be able to call it traditional in the HAMB sense, but you won't be able to deny it's a hot rod either. I'll post up a few starting pics tonight, but this won't be the fastest build in history. Going to have to sell off some speed parts to help finance it and to keep the wife happy.
    Found a complete 460 and C6 for a killer price, so they may be coming home to mock up the drivetrain.

2. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

Be Strong!!

murpa and loudbang like this.
  3. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

4. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Did somebody say fiberglass?
    Haulin ass in fiberglass has a nice ring to it, keep the flame alive.

6. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

I like them both. The point is to have fun building and driving the car no matter what it is made of. If someone objects simply turn the page.

7. upspirate

upspirate

I like the "A" and the wires on the '32......The build will be cool

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ah hell, put a fake patina job on it and half the guys won't know the difference. I looked long and hard at Fiberglass 32 coupe bodies at the Goodguys in Pleasanton in 1998 after I had been to Bonneville a few days before. I couldn't afford a steel 32 then let alone now.

9. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

The spokes are the wife's wheels for the '31. I'm thinking the first parts to make a few build bucks on are the 20's and 17's on it now. Kinda embarrassed they're even in the garage.....

Deuces, Tim, waljo and 4 others like this.
  10. wicarnut

wicarnut

Enjoy ! Go for it ! A glass car to build and you can afford is the way to go IMO. Whining, wishing about a steel car and/or bitchin about glass cars does nothing for anybody. "Haulin Ass in Fiberglass" Works !

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
    Deuces, Ranchero59, murpa and 4 others like this.
  11. loudbang

loudbang

Good find will be following the build

Deuces, 1947knuck and OLSKOOL57 like this.
  12. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

I've got a chassis being built at Pete and Jakes and a 5 window body on order at New Age Motorsports. Quit apologizing for a glass body, most are nicer than the steel that's left to start with these days. I'll have a whole roller for the cost of fixing a steel body. It's a way to build a dream car for me that I can almost afford! Using a 302 roller motor and a C4 to keep it simple. Ford in a "Ford".

Keep us posted on your progress, love watching '32 build threads (hoping to steal ideas!).

SPark

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
    Joe Travers, Besty34, Deuces and 8 others like this.
  13. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

I think I've still got a turbo intake around from when I was building 2.3's. PM me if your interested.

loudbang likes this.
  14. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Well, I'm on a mission. I found the trans I want WAS produced, but still don't have a full list of years and models it came in.
    Anyone have this trans laying around that needs a good home?
    c6.jpg

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  15. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My steel '27 hiboy touring is taking forever...so, would anybody object to my assembling my 'glass '27 Highboy on American Stamping rails?
    Better to haul ass in fiberglass than not haul at all!
    Many projects here, rather be driving fenderless.

16. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

That's what I'm saying! The whole idea is to drive them not take a magnet to them.

17. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

If this trans looks vaguely familiar, it's the C6 equivalent of the short shaft C4 I put in the '31. It's SO much easier to get a good driveshaft angle, though this one will require a larger diameter splined driveshaft for the additional horsepower.

Joe Travers and loudbang like this.
  18. oldsman41

oldsman41

go for it. ive always wanted a 34 but steel cars are way out of my pay grade so if i get a chance at a glass car ill pull the trigger.

19. First and foremost never apologize for what you won and drive/build. In a vernacular trending to a different time and place, "Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke."

Now vulgarities aside, if you don't tell me what you are running I may not know and if I do I may not care.

20. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

OK, it's not "traditional", but with it being able to make 800 horsepower NA (and already sitting on the engine stand) I have to use it.
    It's a 545 BBF stroker, SCJ heads, forged Lunati crank, 4340 H beams and forged Probes coming in at 12:1 scr. We picked a Torker II intake and Quick Fuel 950 when it was to only make 600, but that may change. Going to have to have another cam ground and get new lifters, but still cheaper than building a new motor.

21. zzford

zzford

Hold out for a Street Beast. (Only kidding !)

22. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Shit! Sound s like a hell of a plan!

Put some vintage valvecovers on it, mag wheels, a surfer scoop ,a giant flake paint job and a really good cage and have some vintage styled fun. So what if it is not era correct. 95% of the builds on here are not anyway if you get right down to it.

loudbang likes this.
  23. Chucky and loudbang like this.
  24. I'm not a ford guy, but I'm a power to weight guy...lol My truck is right at 800hp on 3lbs boost and weighs 2850, the Henry J is 600hp at 2500lbs and the t-bucket is an estimated 450 at 1840lbs so I'm all in for watching this build.

craig b blue and loudbang like this.
  25. Unfortunately I have one, nothing done with it yet but have gathered all of the ancillary parts.

loudbang likes this.
  26. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

For some reason didn't occur to me to use Cabosil on voids in the gel/glass. Thanks for the heads up.

loudbang likes this.
  27. rush549

rush549
    from Kansas

906dc65a91f35e6b2bcc4fe82fc26198.jpg There's nothing wrong with glass. I wouldn't have the car I wanted if I had to pay for steel. It would have been at the very least a third more money. And I like it. And I don't have to fuss over it.

28. AHotRod

AHotRod

Love it .... I'm following along !

loudbang likes this.
  29. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

After spending several cramped years in a "T"-bucket, I decided to build a touring instead. It'll still only be a two-seater, but with legroom and a reasonable steering column angle. When I saw a decent looking glass "Tub" body for $600, I grabbed it. I can proceed with the build. I've got my eyes open for a steel body. If I find one fine, if not, that's OK too. The important thing is to get on the road!

swade41, loudbang and wicarnut like this.
  30. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

I have a Tee shirt from Stoudt's Auto Sales in Reading, Pa. They sell mostly Corvettes. Their spin on the phrase - "Wrap your ass in fiberglass" - works too!

kiwijeff and loudbang like this.