Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects HELP - Hood flew off my '51 Roadmaster - Will any '51 Buick Hood Fit??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by '51 Roadmaster, Sep 6, 2017.

1. '51 Roadmaster

'51 Roadmaster

2. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd say it's coming nicely ! Good job.

'51 Roadmaster likes this.
  3. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

Great progress, looks good.
    Not sure what you are grinding / sanding with but you might want to cover up that windshield. Ugly little pits and chips will really take away from that soon to be perfect hood.

4. '51 Roadmaster

'51 Roadmaster

Thanks! I'm using 80 grit - hand sanding with a sanding board. No power tools as of yet!

5. '51 Roadmaster

'51 Roadmaster

Today's progress..Made some horses so I can man handle it better and started to strip it. IMG_2809.JPG

kidcampbell71 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  6. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Looks like you are getting the hang of it, just don't rush it and take your time. It's just moving the high spots to the low spots. Pick the hammer with the correct face to work with, some have a bigger radius and some are almost flat each moves the metal in different ways, same with the dolley. The railroad looking one we call the universal dolly has tighter radius than a toe dolly or heal dolly. Never had much luck with a shrinking dolly but some people have. Think of the metal as a frosting on a cake and you have to push the metal where you want it to go. Shrinking disc work but I suggest that you practice on a piece of scrap metal the same thickness before you get on the hood. There is a little learning curve. Good Luck Frank

7. '51 Roadmaster

'51 Roadmaster

1-Shot - thanks for the note, I'm trying my best and learning on the fly! Every bit of advice helps.

Today's progress - Still having trouble with the crescent shaped dent, but it's coming out slowly. It starts right under the cross brace, so I'm going to have to get creative about how I'm going to get behind it. Good news, there hasn't been too many surprises under the paint aside from the plastic filler near the lip at the back on the passenger side. Whoever said getting there is half the fun never had to strip a '51 Buick Roadmaster hood.... IMG_2817.JPG IMG_2818.JPG

j-jock, Squablow and tb33anda3rd like this.
  8. flatford39

flatford39

That's getting there. You are doing great for a first timer. I bet you are getting an appreciation for people that make a living do this.

9. '51 Roadmaster

'51 Roadmaster

Thank you very much. I most absolutely am......

10. '51 Roadmaster

'51 Roadmaster

Stopping for today. Spent some more time on the dents, finished stripping it and worked on the alignment pins/latch plates. Still having trouble with the bulged area visible on the LH side... IMG_2819.JPG IMG_2821.JPG IMG_2822.JPG

kidcampbell71 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  11. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi 51Roadmaster.Looking excellent for a first attempt.That`s a lot of acreage to cultivate.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

12. '51 Roadmaster

'51 Roadmaster

Update - here's where I'm at as of September 26th. Hood is in primer, I'm now working on the hinges, fit and gap. I figured now's the time, right? Still a few small dents to work out and I'm still on the hunt for a replacement hood ornament.
    PS - I have enough pics and info to start a thread just about the hinges (and what I've learned), if there's interest.
    Buick Sept 26th 2017.jpg

Stogy, Toner283, j-jock and 5 others like this.
  13. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You should be very proud of what you've accomplished. Your first metal working project and you hit it out of the park !!

14. Budget36

Budget36

Looks good, hope you shrunk the metal on the bulge, then brought it back up? Hope you didn't knock it in and fill it up;)

15. '51 Roadmaster

'51 Roadmaster

Thanks for the note. I didn't use any filler, just hammers and dollys. I'm learning how to 'read' the metal with my palm and working one dent at a time. Its amazing what you can feel but not see. A fellow HAMB wrote - "think of it like spreading icing"....it's absolutely, positively true. Once I got in that mindset, the dents just 'flowed' out. I've still got a few spots to go, but all the major stuff is out of the way. I'm in no rush, I want to do this right!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  16. [QUOTE="'51 Roadmaster,
    PS - I have enough pics and info to start a thread just about the hinges (and what I've learned), if there's interest.
    View attachment 3665719 [/QUOTE]

Absolutely!

Ben

17. '51 Roadmaster

'51 Roadmaster

Hello Ben - I started a thread called 'Late'50-'51-'52 Buick Hinge Study' to explain what I found.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  18. BJR

BJR

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  19. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Excellent work and post. I can only imagine the hood lifting up and ending up in a field. Great post an thanks for sharing. Good to still have the money in your pocket.

20. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

And, some new knowledge and confidence that you can get it done! You can be proud of your accomplishment, that repair is easier said than done!

'51 Roadmaster and 48fordnut like this.
  21. '51 Roadmaster

'51 Roadmaster

Update - October 30th 2017

One of the problems I've been having is sourcing a suitable replacement hood ornament. The ones I've found are either A) badly pitted, B) damaged/distorted or C) ridiculously, laughably over-priced.

Mine exploded on impact, shattering the 'bomb sight' ring (sending the pieces to places unknown) and bent the casting -

IMG_3147.JPG

You can see how badly it's warped -

IMG_3148.JPG

The one from my parts car ( See my thread 'Something Followed Me Home This Weekend') is pitted and warped in the opposite direction from the damage the hood sustained in the tornado...

IMG_3149.JPG
    IMG_3150.JPG

Anyhow, Canada Post dropped off a greatly anticipated package today - Found this on Kijiji out in British Columbia (Canada).

IMG_3151.JPG

It's no show stopper, but it's something to work with and it fits like a glove!

IMG_3152.JPG

Life's joys are about the simple things, right?

So folks, that's all for now. Either than this, I recently bought a good vintage 9" grinder and I have some shrinking disks on order to smooth things out and see if I can finish it without filler. I'll keep you posted!

Thanks again,

'51 Roadmaster
    Saskatoon,Saskatchewan
    Canada

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
    ClarkH, Squablow, tb33anda3rd and 6 others like this.
  22. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

You can warn up pot metal and reform it, just enough to soften it then use glover and you candbend it. We use to do it in the body shop with a torch all the time years ago. I think we heated the pot metal till it got hot enough that spit on your finger would fry.
    Some one else may add to this. Try it on a bad one first to get your technique down.
    We use to straighten head light doors and 1/4 extensions all the time.
    Frank

23. '51 Roadmaster

'51 Roadmaster

Thanks Frank. I've done some homework reading old threads on the HAMB about repairing pot metal. I'm going to try my hand at repairing the one from the junkyard and cover the process in another post.

Thanks again,
    '51 Roadmaster

24. scrap_metal

scrap_metal

Look up muggy weld. I have used it on pot metal and it works great. it fills pitting or when you heat it up to bend you can fill and grind down to a profile you need

25. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Muggy Weld works but you need to practice first to get the technique down.
    Years ago, in the late 50's early 60's there was a rod made for welding pot metal and had a flux in a jar that looked like the hair gell dippity do, we use a lot of it at the Mercedes Benz body shop.
    We also used a lot of Dutch Boy (lead) before Bondo came out.
    Just take your time and practice. Let us know how it turns out. I am following,
    Frank

26. '51 Roadmaster

'51 Roadmaster

I will be buying some muggy weld and trying my hand at repairing the shoddy hood ornament. I've been looking at it for years but have never had a reason to buy it...now I do! I won't be tackling the pot metal repairs until spring, but I intend on posting a photo essay about that when it happens. It's something else I have not done before but - call me crazy- I'm looking forward to tackling that too.

I said it before, but damn I love this hobby!

27. belair

belair

You have done a great job. Thanks for sharing.

28. Real NICE work 51 road master! Bruce.

29. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Mugged also has some Aluminum Rod that you use a propane torch on it more like brazing than welding.
    Aluminum and pot metal repair cleanliness is first and foremost and always use a new stainless brush so you don't have cross contamination. Grinding disc will leave small particles imbedded in them the ceramic disc work better. Frank