Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Attic Anglia

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER, Jun 5, 2012.

1. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

I used the stock Anglia front end and steering box on mine. There was no steering involved. I lined it up straight and wedged my arm against the door panel. It would jump all around then end up straight in high gear. With the stock steering ratio I never had the guts to try & correct it. I had a narrowed Mustang 9 inch in it. It was a little primitive by todays standards. Jerry Gwynn of top fuel fame used to run one in S. Florida. Last time I was at his shop he had a mint black stocker that he bought in England and had shipped there. Nicest one Ive ever seen. It had the little flip out turn signals on it.

els and loudbang like this.
  2. SPRINT6

SPRINT6

Nice Find!
    I've always been drawn to the Old Anglia's even since reading about Tom Langdons Pontiac OHC 6 powered Anglia "HOLE SHOT 6"
    HOLE SHOT 6c.jpg

Look forward to watching yours come along.
    Cheers

3. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Yep Sprint, Tom's a friend and hero. He's built some mean sixes. We both had similar jobs as engineers - mine at FoMoCo, his at GM.
    Welcome.

mtkawboy, mine has the openings in the quarters for the trafficators. I'm thinking of rigging up some custom fingers that actuate with the turn signal lights.

4. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

A buddy found me a rear bench seat from an International Scout. It is a little narrower than the Mopar van seat I acquired earlier. It also puts the driver in a lower seating position which may be an advantage. Now I have choices

els, loudbang, Baron and 1 other person like this.
  5. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I gave a friend a third seat from my '87 Suburban. Worked beautifully in his '50s Ford pick up. Just another option.

6. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Thanks GQCE, I'll keep that in mind. The original bucket seats are bar-stool-tiny and provide about as much support as a paint bucket, so I prefer a later bench.

7. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I just finished converting all this thread photos from photobucket. Now I can upload without their hosting. Enjoy

brEad, els and loudbang like this.
  8. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

sweeps 01.jpg I had a few hours to spend on this job so I decided to make a roof bow to replace the spindly wooden roof bow used to support the original fabric top insert. I used my son SuperDave's Anglia as a pattern to establish its shape. I will be using a set of sweeps that will help establish and maintain the desired roof arch. - one for the longitudinal arch and one for the transverse.

I started by shearing a blank and rolling a curve in it to give it a little "memory" of the shape I want. Then bent two one inch flanges on it. roof bow 1.jpg roof bow 2.jpg roof bow 3.jpg

TFoch and els like this.
  9. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I chose a #19 sweep, which has a radius of 190.6". Using my homemade stretcher dies in a DiAcro hand press I stretched the flanges to re-introduce the curve formed in the slip rolls. Whoops. I put in too much curvature, so using my homemade tuck tool and the homemade shrinker dies I brought the curve back to the more gradual arch needed. Then using a homemade tipping die in my homemade bead roller I re-directed the edge of the flange to create the hat section needed to give strength and a place to weld the roof insert panel.
    roof bow 4.jpg roof bow 5.jpg roof bow 6.jpg roof bow 7.jpg roof bow 8.jpg roof bow 9.jpg

10. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I further defined the weld flange with a little more hammering on my homemade anvil. A piece of railroad rail makes a great anvil. It has become so work-hardened by the railroad car wheels that it will take a severe blow with nary a dent. roof bow 10.jpg roof bow 11.jpg roof bow 12.jpg roof bow 13.jpg

Comparing the new piece and the sweep to the roof we did on SuperDave's car I see there was a flat spot in the middle of his, which we did before we had the sweeps to work with. No worries - his looks fine to the un-aided naked eye.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
    TFoch, els, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  11. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I heard Tom is closing his Stovebolt business. Good luck in the future Tom.

12. els

els

Nice find, Lets us know when done.

loudbang likes this.
  13. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Funny. I was looking through a Hot Rod magazine recently and read where "Green is the new black." Its the new "in" color to paint your rod.
    Drat. I missed another trend. I'll be behind the curve on this one. Still thinking green tho.

14. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

That cheeses me off! I've been planning to paint my '37 Chevy green since I first saw one on a used car lot in 1966. I bought the car in 1990 and am finally getting it together. Painted some panels various greens and even have the drivers door done with spray cans to verify. Hunter Green!
    Now everybody will have one. Just like belly buttons!

15. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I hear ya. I have some artist friends and they tell me the human eye can discern more shades and hues of green than any other color, probably due to some prehistoric evolutionary traits that were important for hunting in the woods. My bride and I have made a game of critiquing every green car we see - even greens on appliances and furnishings - to try to come up with one we both can like. She is more for the subdued British Racing Green look and I want something more flamboyant, metallic, with maybe a cream roof with additional shades of green scallops or lacey panel paint. Evocative of sixties gassers. Decisions, decisions...

brEad, evil clown, els and 1 other person like this.
  16. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I had a '55 Chevy Gasser years ago. It was Cadillac Firemist (Forest?) Green. Had 4" wide stripes of a light green metallic like the stockers used to run over the hood top and trunk lid. Sorry I don't have a picture. It did look good.

els likes this.
  17. grdra1

grdra1

I had an Anglia that I was going to build as a Gasser, then the Topolino came along so I sold it, wish I still had it. . I love them - great build. There was one in Australia I saw on display 35 years ago called Classical Gas - google it its awesome, that car got me hooked on Anglia's it was for sale but I could not afford it. Glen

loudbang likes this.
  18. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

A link would be nice, google brings up musical references for Classical Gas!

els likes this.
  19. carryallman

carryallman

whats the status on this car build ? been awhile !!

20. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Hi carryallman, Yes, its been a while since I posted. As you may be able to tell from my signature line I have two car builds going on at once. That is not the fastest way to make progress on any single project. I want to get my champ car engine running this summer and do further detail work on the champ car chassis.

I did try to make a roof panel from flat stock for the Anglia roof and wound up with too much crown in it. I hope I can wheel some of it out - if not I'll have to start over on the roof. Please be patient. This project is still very much alive. I'm nothing if not persistent.

I'm also going to have to re-wire my garage to handle the new TIG welder I acquired. More time diverted away from my projects but ultimately better.

loudbang likes this.
  21. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I have been meaning to give everyone an update on what's been happening on both the champ car and the Attic Anglia project. I am excited and anxious to begin the next phase of work on these two projects and I have my plans laid out for the whole summer. Of course by now you may have realized I am not a straight-line guy when it comes to doing projects, but more often than not I take a circuitous route to getting stuff done. I get interrupted by other stuff a lot.
    Like drag racing
    And bought another house down south
    And as alluded to above I just chopped a hole in my house exterior wall to run 100 amps out to my garage.
    Anyhoo, here's my plans for this summers work - building ENGINES!
    I am readying an engine test stand (there's that circuitous problem again) to build a 303 ci Anglia engine for my son's Anglia. It will chop a whole second off his quarter-mile times. His current engine gets yanked and it will reside in my Attic Anglia. Its a 240 ci version of the big Ford six - plenty of beef for the AA car. Before that Anglia deal the champ car engine is on the stand and it currently has a stock head on it; it will get converted to a crossflow head - additional oil passages and other stuff are required. I have collected all the major parts for both these builds. I'll probably do a few side jobs on the champ car - make some more pieces like an external hand pump. I recently saw repops being offered for $300. That's out of my price comfort zone and it would be fun to hack one out of billet.
    I just put wheels and a tow bar on the test stand so I can tow it from my storage building to my home shop. Next I'll rewire it.
    So all-in-all lots going on and lots of plans for the coming months.

LAROKE and loudbang like this.
  22. Modded 105E

Modded 105E

Love Anglias/ Populars and have been messing with them since school in 1968.

That bodywork looks pretty good .

Lots of steel panels available repro here in the uk nowadays .

Please post some new pics when you are able the whole project looks great.

Paint it an original Ford colour!!

23. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Here's a pic of the crossflow head going on the champ car. I post it here only to let you see that progress - though tangentially related - is happening. When the champ engine is done and test run then I can begin to assemble the engine for SuperDave's Anglia, and re-purpose his old engine into the Attic Anglia.

XFLO 04.jpg

And started to prepare the test stand.
    test stand 01.jpg

TFoch and loudbang like this.
  24. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

The champ car head is XFLO 17.jpg RTR.

loudbang likes this.
  25. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Are you going to put it on the Anglia or did you just post it in the wrong thread?

loudbang likes this.
  26. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

No, not on the Anglia. I just wanted to show one more thing checked off my list before I tackle the (relatively tame) Anglia engine build.

loudbang and 64 DODGE 440 like this.
  27. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool car. I AM a bit biased.

loudbang likes this.
  28. chop job

chop job
    from Wisconsin
    1. WISCONSON HAMBERS

Could you give me measurements of the body like firewall to back of body and width of rear of body? THANKS
    By the way very nice build hope I get to see it some day.

loudbang likes this.
  29. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

OK chop, Its supposed to pour rain for the next 12 hours here but after that I'll measure my son's '48 since his is completely together and mine is stored off site.

loudbang likes this.
  30. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

OK chop job,
    Here is what I measured off the other Anglia:
    Front of cowl-to-rear-of-body (not including rear bumper) - 113"
    Width-of-body-at rear-fenders( 1" wider fenders) - 56"
    Width-at rear-bustle-hump-behind-fenders - 40"

Good luck

chop job likes this.