Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '27 Roadster Build.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Texas36, Aug 29, 2015.

1. I'm not sure if you can tell from the pics but originally I ran big truck pedals in my roadster with a homemade crossmember. I had intended to use 32-34 big truck pedals at first but you will notice the arm on the brake pedal needs to be on the bottom of the pivot for use with a mastercylinder. So instead I went with a pair of f-2 and larger pedals. They were very long, too long in fact. My crossemember also appears to be quite a bit further back than yours is.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have long since switched over to the more common approach of using an f-1 transmission crossmember and pedals. Everything just fits so much better. Your transmission is very nice tho, I would recommend maybe trying to find a set of the f-1 pedals around? Unless you feel like modifying those pedals. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask

Texas36 likes this.
  2. bct

bct

There is a great thread on hot rod pedals. I wish I had a link for you.

3. Thanks for the info man I appreciate it!

I went down the road today to my friends house who has a few flathead AV8s to see how he did his. ('32 k-member with truck pedals) Got some good pictures and info so I now feel comfortable with my setup.

Had some down time today so I started fabbing up a removable push bar for the rear as well.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. horace urrey

horace urrey

I am building basically the same chassis body combo ? did you need to pinch the a frame to get body frame clearance at the front edge of cowl

5. No pinching required. The T body fits an A frame very well in stock form

brEad likes this.
  6. Forgive my lack of posting everyone. Summers here in east Texas are brutal and my little shop has no ventilation. [​IMG] add about 20 to this and thats what the temp feels like in my shop haha. I havent given up, just taking a break until cooler weather.

brEad likes this.
  7. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Work on it at night.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Tim and Texas36 like this.
  8. Just read the whole thread and im very impressed with your build. Great execution and focus, im in for the duration. This is cool !!! :cool::cool: JW

Texas36 likes this.
  9. cball

cball

Just read through the thread, great build and work man, can't wait to see more!

Texas36 likes this.
  10. Problem solver

mrfliboy likes this.
  11. Thanks Y'all. I really have no talent when it comes to cars, I just really want a period correct hotrod lol.

Im busy trying to get a slightly less Traditional car ready for Roundup in Sept. but will start back up on this one very soon.

12. Small update. Instead of being at a standstill until I found the 39 Lincoln backing plates, I found a nice set of '37 wide five drums instead. Heres a picture of the two side by side. [​IMG] '36 on the left and the '37-'39 on the right. Snout length is quite a bit different.

kidcampbell71, waxhead and bct like this.
  13. [​IMG]
    Did some repair work on one of my spindles, cleaned everything up, painted, and assembled. Attached the draglink and now its a roller

kiwijeff, bct, cactus1 and 2 others like this.
  14. Does anyone make a pitman arm for an F1 box with a tapered end for a tierod? Ive got an OG F1 pitman arm but it interferes with my wish bone and the ball end is also wore out.

15. Yes there is, I have one on my T but I have no idea what it is off as it was already on my F-1 box when I got the car. JW
    [​IMG]

Texas36 likes this.
  16. Well at least I know something out there will work. Thanks! Good looking setup you have there btw

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  17. The neighbor down the road builds FEDs and has a lathe so took my drive shaft and coupling over there today. Machined out the spline in the coupling then welded to the drive shaft [​IMG] [​IMG] more to come this weekend!

18. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Memory says ford used that spline into the 60's...

19. Ford used the “if it aint broke dont fix it” mentality a lot through the years. My dad has a Ford 3000 tractor from the 70s and just about everything on it is beefed up early ford design. Even the rear end is a banjo only its 4x bigger. Still runs like a top too.

20. I cut the center section out of a pair of T windshield stantions and welded the top piece to the bottom section. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] They didnt come out too bad. I need to straighten them out a bit but that will be a future project. And I may also chop them some more too.

21. Last weekend I took a trip with some good friends of mine to San Antonio. The moonshine run was a total blast and I met up with @ChuckleHead_Al who gave me a great deal on some backing plates and shoes. His car also gave me tons of inspiration to jump back on mine . [​IMG]

Since Im using early spindles, I needed to use the spacer rings in order to correctly fit the newer backing plates. [​IMG]

The plates then need to be slotted to work with the early spindle bolt pattern. [​IMG][​IMG]

PS my front axle is backwards but I will probably never fix it ..

22. ChuckleHead_Al

ChuckleHead_Al

Dude you're knocking the things to-do list out. Keep rocking man, it's getting closer and closer.

Sent from my SM-N920P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Texas36 likes this.
  23. Posts look great, I wouldn't chop them any shorter, mine are too short but I can live with it.
    Looks like you need a slightly shorter front spring as the hangers are near vertical. Unless its just the angle the photo is taken. JW

Texas36 likes this.
  24. Yeah the picture makes my shackles look a little funny but they are actually at a 45° angle. I need longer shackles in the rear though because they are nearly horizontal and my spring is stretched a little too much for comfort.

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  25. The first time it hasnt been on jackstands! [​IMG] it looks like a hotrod now, all I need to do is cut out the wall to roll her outside.

Tim, kiwijeff, Jungle Jalopy and 10 others like this.
  26. Looking good, whats the interesting ride to the right? JW

27. t-rod

t-rod

About your axle being backwards, does the shank of the lock pin hit the backing plate, limiting your turn radius? Normally they hit the backside of the plate to act as stops but seems to me having them face forward would limit the turn.

Bad decisions make good stories.

Texas36 and 31hotrodguy like this.
  28. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

32-34 used the same spline as the f1 box, and 32 and early 33 have a tapered, bolt-in ball. the ball is removable, and the taper is the same as a tie rod end. the f100 box 53-56 share the same spline with the 57-60, but they are not the same as the spline on the f1 boxes.

26 T Ford RPU, Texas36 and patmanta like this.
  29. Nah doesnt limit it at all. In fact it doesnt ever hit the backing plate, the lower steering arm of the spindle stops the travel. Its definitely something I need to correct later on..