Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical wish bone ends

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 48fordnut, Oct 27, 2017.

1. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Model a frame .I would like to pie cut my wish bones and connect then to a small bracket on the frame instead of a 6'' or so bracket hanging down. Will there be a problem with this?

thanks,
    jim

dana barlow likes this.
  2. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

like this ?That's what I did as well wishbone.jpg

3. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

That's what I want to do. Just wondering if the angle will be too extreme. Burl do you have a pic from a few feet away? Nice looking bracket.

4. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

EFB1D830-D91B-4AED-829E-1170682BFC99.jpeg Here’s a pic. It’s a mopar but kinda the same

Stogy, bct, kidcampbell71 and 2 others like this.

5. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

That's about what I want . I think I will have more of an angle than that. BTW I shared some pics of yours from 2013. awesome photography and pics.

6. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

When I built my T modified I cut the wish bone right past the front cast piece going into the tube to get the caster set where I wanted it. Is that what you are asking about? If so its done all the time.

Stogy and Jet96 like this.
  7. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Rusty thanks. I have done that before, but this time I think it will be an extreme angle.

8. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

It’s just a piece of heavy wall angle iron with a bushing with a tapered hole to accept the tie rod end. The radius detail was cut on my rotary cross slide table on a bridge port mill but could have been cut out and blend the radius

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy likes this.
  9. clem

clem

I would not recommend pie cutting the wishbone.
    You maybe able to tweak your castor a little to get less distance from chassis rail.
    If you are doing what is shown in the pictures above, that is fine.
    Get it done professionally.

What about using wishbones from a different model car?

10. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

I have the bracket ,just simple lines no curves.
    Clem I have a 31 roadster with a ft z that I had to do also. This one does not have the z and it will have a bit more angle.The welding will be done by a pro.

11. akoutlaw

akoutlaw

Mine tacked together.

Attached Files:

12. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

looks like mine. Need to get some weight on the ft end so I can see where they need to be,

13. That's the way we did it. HRP

[​IMG]

48fordnut likes this.
  14. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

It will be fine as long as welding is done by a competent welder.

lothiandon1940 and 48fordnut like this.
  15. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

All welding done by a friend that is a certified welder

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  16. clem

clem

I am still not completely sure what you mean by ‘pie cut’ , you may be meaning something different than what I am thinking.
    Photos would help.
    Thanks

17. Hey Clem:D, imagine a cut removing a wedge shaped piece. JW

18. clem

clem

26 T ford rpu

That is what I thought, although 2nd pic in post 11 is possibly what OP is referring to.

Thanks, Clemens.

19. A Boner

A Boner

Hold on......there is a big difference between the height of a 32 frame at the wishbone mounting spot, compared to the height on an A frame. Remember the A frame is straight front to back vertically, compared to the deuce frame.
    I would suggest welding a dropped mount slightly inboard of the the inside surface of the A frame, so the wishbone slightly disappears under the frame rail. That way it won't look like it is hanging down so far. Just try and make the bracket look like Ford made it! Mock up the front end with the rear of the wishbone held at the proper height to get the 5-7 degree front axle castor. It will hopefully be something like 4 or 5 inches down from the bottom of the frame. Also watch out for exhaust and steering gear clearance under there!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
    48fordnut likes this.
  20. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

just like the man said a pie cut is a wider at the top than at the base. metal term. You cut aprox 1/4 '' at the top and bend it closed then weld. Pie cut.

Thanks Boner I have the templates ready if that be the case.

21. Yes, you can pie cut em to get the back end of the bones to hit where you want on or below the frame. The long brackets came about when most folks had no welders and shit was bolted on.

Stogy likes this.
  22. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Must know your frame hight off ground, and axle hight/tire etc. too know caster setting=at that caster setting{about 7* give or take 1}bone is split and stock is how high?if thats not were you wish to mount it,then it must be adjusted by heat bend or piecut weld to were you do. With out changing caster. Asuming you have a spring over axle set up.

23. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Here is a picture of pie cutting. (it wouldnt be this extreme as this is to achieve 30 degrees instead of the 7 or so you will want) chassisresearchdiaTE44004.jpg

48fordnut likes this.
  24. A Boner

A Boner

The wishbones should end up being somewhat close to being parallel to the ground. If they are running uphill to the mount too much, in my opinion they won't look right. It would be better to pie cut it less and then use a slightly longer mounting bracket.....sort of a compromise.

48fordnut and thirtytwo like this.
  25. clem

clem

A better way would be to cut them at the perch bolt end, cut the ‘yoke’ off, where it is already welded, make your adjustment there, and weld the ‘yoke ‘ back on, rather than pie cutting the wishbone.

26. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Thanks all. I was also thinking too much upward angle would look bad. I'll figure out something. May go with the bracket moved inboard, to hide it some.

27. I am building a copy of a 100" or so early gas dragster, and I'm using an A front end.
    I had planned to use the wishbone, split and drilled.
    Do I use the length/depth of the frame mount at the rear of what will become the radius rod for the caster adjustment?

28. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

You can, or use heim joints as I did. It needs to be adjustable.

29. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

That drawing I posted is from the directions for Chassis Research dragster exactly what you are wanting. I have more drawings and info that Scotty Fenn put out with his chassis kits. If you want it I can post it here or PM you with it.

48fordnut likes this.
  30. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Russco the drawings are good.I understand them.