Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Tall Tales

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Oct 27, 2017.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

Tall Tales

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Was that the "Highboy of the month" that was in Rod & Custom?

I know one of them (don't remember which title) had a Highboy of the Month photo in with reader photos. They weren't highboy rods though, they were "street freaks" and the magazine encouraged readers to find the highest "highboy".

Wilds31Flattie and henryj1951 like this.
  3. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep you’re right on the money Sancho. I remember looking forward each month to what monstrousity would come next . There was a ‘59 Elcamino that still sticks out in my mind as one of them.

henryj1951 and Sancho like this.
  4. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

could that be where the Ed Roth types got inspiration ?

henryj1951 likes this.

5. I had a pretty nice 63 1/2 Falcon Sprint and then I got the idea to jack it up and I really screwed up a nice car. HRP

henryj1951 and Clay Belt like this.
  6. High5

High5

Back in 1968 when R & C ran that contest, cars like this were known as "highboys". The term "Street Freak" didn't get coined until the early 70's.
    The engineering to that front end looks questionable. Around our parts, you would've made it about two blocks down the road before a cop would've had you pulled over. Owner probably lived in an area where he knew law enforcement and they let him do what he wanted. It would be interesting to know if this car actually survived the ravages of time or ended up in the bone yard to become what you call a "Tall Tale".

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
    henryj1951 likes this.
  7. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Seems to me the inspiration came more from Ed Roth type monster T-shirts , than anything!

Cooon, henryj1951 and autobilly like this.
  8. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Dang! Where's the flood? It also reminds me of the old "Cartoons" magazine. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
    henryj1951 likes this.
  9. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

I remember in the 80s going to a "digger dave" cruise night in Danbury, CT as we were going to Connecticut Dragway the next day. There was a '55 Chevy there similar in appearance to this one. They drove up from NYC area (!) in it, I could walk under the car with just a slight stoop. This one had a parallel leaf straight axle using exaggerated shackles. I just imagined it to be one evil car to drive on the street.

henryj1951 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  10. Nope, don't blame crap like that on Ed Roth. That '55 has been reduced to Parts Car status.

henryj1951 and Murphy32 like this.
  11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I especially like the 3 foot long rubber brake lines.:eek:

12. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

1967 San diego 55wheels.jpg .....

13. So the " DONKS" the so called gangsters are building now with the 26" and bigger rims all jacked up are traditional customs?................ lol don't hit me! Haha

14. autobilly

autobilly

Pass the O2!

henryj1951 likes this.
  15. The photo inspires me to ask..... Why?
    What can it possibly do better, except for crop dusting???

henryj1951 likes this.
  16. pitman

pitman

or maybe here? Ed_Roth.jpg

enloe, VANDENPLAS and henryj1951 like this.
  17. the blue 55? he is from Bethel and Digger's cruise was there too. if it is the car i am thinking of i never seen it leave Bethel and probably shouldn't. i will look for a photo. i think @ct1932ford took one last year of it.

henryj1951 likes this.
  18. found a photo. car was named "dear lord"
    Bethel 008.JPG

VANDENPLAS and henryj1951 like this.
  19. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Thank God for the individuals willing to go outside the box even if it's way outside.
    I love 55 Chevy's but while I don't care for stock I am so not interested in seeing another Two Lane Blacktop/C Gas/gasser clone. Build whatever floats your boat and if it's a sky high version that's ok by me.

henryj1951 likes this.
  20. Gman0046

Gman0046

Drugs and car building don't mix.

21. The phrase “unsafe at any speed” would apply to a lot of these. I would give the builder of the car in the first picture posted extra credit for mounting the engine low and mid-ship.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

22. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I would guess that the guy did partake of quite a bit of the drugs too! o_O:eek::oops::rolleyes:

henryj1951 likes this.
  23. Big Plan Dan

Big Plan Dan

Maybe they're there but I don't see any tie rod or drag link. It looks as though the steering hasn't yet been set up. Perhaps it never got to that point. I think I would have tied the brake lines to the frame parts rather than letting them dangle. It appears the headers are exiting right under the doors...how did they get in this thing? Yes, one has to wonder what happened to this car. My guess is that it got parted out.

henryj1951 likes this.
  24. 67Coug

67Coug

Fitting that it's parked in front of a trailer house! I bet that the next summer the grass and weeds grew tall and hid it from view. Maybe it's still there!

Ravenwood and henryj1951 like this.
  25. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

Still have the licence plate / at one time had 15x8.5 Americans on the front , yes on the front KRAZY !!! wheelies.JPG

26. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

Are you sure ...lol

27. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

Ah yes but one CHiP"s officer said i was pulling Away from him at 140mph, and a SDPD officer said i was turning CORNERS at 80mph but he was embellishing a bit ...lol

28. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Look at the caster of the front axle in the blue 55. I like the "jacked up" look to an EXTENT, but not in the ways these 2 55's are. I would also like to see them both up close just to see how safe/unsafe they really are. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

henryj1951 likes this.
  29. I never liked low riders or slammed vehicles. The roads where I live are so rough you need plenty of ground clearance. We had a jacked up falcon. 44o and 4 speed. All it would do is bounce those rear tires like someone dribbling a basket ball. They where ingilewood brand. supposed to be street slicks. I put them on the back of a 65 mustang. and the little 289 could easily smoke the right rear. And yes the mustang was jacked up in the Rear. I went to pick up this girl for a date. And her mother laughed at my mustang. She said it looked like a cat in heat.

30. yeah Butch, the blue one looks dangerous to me. it is all shackles and braces for shackles with lots of washers. it is properly named.