Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Traditional garage

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 08racer, Oct 24, 2017.

1. 08racer

08racer
    from Gilbert AZ

IMG_5256.JPG
    I'm trying to make this yuppie home fit. How do you fellas do it? I kinda like to feel like I'm back in the day when I work on my car. Maybe that's taking it to far.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Greaser Bob, 1947knuck, BigO and 15 others like this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

move from the suburbs, to the center of town. where the old buildings are. If there aren't any up there, try some place that's been around for a while. I drove by some old places on the way to camping in the Chiricahuas last week..

rjones35, TERPU, els and 6 others like this.
  3. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

DSC01509.JPG Looking good, keep hanging stuff up, and it will become a natural shrine to your car.

Attached Files:

4. 08racer

08racer
    from Gilbert AZ

I'm working on the signs. All I have are license plates at the moment. And not very old ones. I thought about taking the drywall down to the studs. Doesn't work here.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

els, ratrodjay and LOU WELLS like this.

5. jvo

jvo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tools, lots of tools.

6. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Damn sure need a different garage door or the window treatment.

7. Budget36

Budget36

Just scatter a bunch of tools on the floor, toss a few empties around, stack up a bunch of stuff...oh, I thought you asked what my garage looks like when I work on cars....

ROCKER77, moparob, els and 4 others like this.
  8. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Sir you have a worthy start and quality advice so select your lounge carefully... IMG_0043.jpg

BigO, moparob, spurgeonforge and 15 others like this.
  9. Forget the house. What's the story of that car?
    Ya got more pics??

els and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. chop job

chop job
    from Wisconsin
    1. WISCONSON HAMBERS

Love this place I spend all winter out here. 20170717_100242.jpg

11. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

12. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

IMG_1803.JPG I had a house built in the 1920's the garage sucked! A nice clean garage with all the tools you really need, a flat smooth floor, and good lights and power far outweigh the loss in vibe from the old shops.

13. Never2low

Never2low

I'm sure this will get closed due to it being more so Garage Journal material, so I'll chip in my 2 cents, before the axe.
    Leave the drywall, but the first thing I would do is paint the walls a darkish color.
    It will "eat" a lot of your light reflection, making the space a lot darker, but it will knock that fresh clean drywall look out of there.
    Depending on your lighting situation, you may even have to add more, to retain the same amount of light.
    Then work on some signs. Even if you can't afford good (expensive) original ones, the repops will have the same effect.

markin59, els, simpsonrl and 2 others like this.
  14. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

If you want to feel like back in the day, roll it out along the curb, and work on it out in the street. And have 3 or 4 of your friends help as well.

15. deucemac

deucemac

When I started my garage, I installed 3 things that I consider musts. I bought an old Pepsi machine off Ebay for $10.50 (yes it works and keeps 'em cold). Secondly I bought 2 barber chairs, a 1948 Koken and a 1958 Koken. After that I covered every usable square inch with license plates, old Bonneville posters, shelves, parts, and absolutely every important car thing that has no real value. But now when a friend comes over, we relax in the barber chairs, drink Dr. Peppers, swap lies, solve all the world's problems, and discuss the latest idea to not do to my roadster because it requires me to get up from the comfortable chair, put my DP down and actually get my hands dirty. After 58 years of turning wrenches, I figure I have earned a little relaxation in an area that my wife swears is full of junkyard rejects and inhabited by a grey bearded crazy man. (I think she cheated and peeked in whilst I assembled my cave)

16. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

take the valve covers off and start the car beside the shiny walls....very authentic. What ever you do don't use cool old speed parts as decorations put 'em back into circulation

17. Get some rusty old valve covers and license plates and hang on the walls.

spurgeonforge, els, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  18. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Love the roadster, we need to see more pics. Who cares what the garage looks like with that beauty on the inside :)

els, Jugornot and oldsjoe like this.
  19. brady1929

brady1929

Who needs a 50's garage when you have that roadster? Tom, I hate to say it but do a search on Google.

els, Mr48chev and oldsjoe like this.
  20. joe.didio

joe.didio

Garage in progress. DSC02213.JPG

21. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

AZ gets pretty hot, taking off drywall will mean either no or exposed insulation. Leave the drywall, enjoy the car, the garage will evolve to suit your needs, or you will move to get an old building as Jim
    suggested. Maybe can build a new/old garage and leave that one for the better half?

22. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Nice lair... nice ride.... do what you like ...
    buddy with a '34 pick up built a "show garage"... a man cave... big roll away toolbox, but he never took his tools out of the plastic bags they came in, one of the guys needed a 1/2" wrench to tighten a battery cable... he had to tear open the plastic bag to get it done... he has never lived that down...

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
    Gotgas, els, kiwijeff and 3 others like this.
  23. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like my radiant floor heat, my heavily insulated walls, my LCD TV, digital tunes, and my newer technology welders, tools, etc. That said, I do have plenty of older stuff, some that is probably older than "traditional".

Your garage door has been mentioned as not traditional. In my opinion that's taking it a bit far. Your garage door opener and the refrigerator are not traditional either. Where do you draw the line, a coal-fired furnace?

Desoto291Hemi, jvo, els and 7 others like this.
  24. rjones35

rjones35

Get rid of the sheetrock, break up some of that concrete, get rid of a few lights, paint everything a darker color, then you can start scattering tools and dirt, and leaves, pans of oil, misc. things to trip over. Oh, and try to make it about half the size it is, maybe a little smaller than that even. Wait, this sounds like my garage now.......

spurgeonforge, els, Jugornot and 6 others like this.
  25. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Damn, me I just go work on my stuff.
    My walls are white, my roof is white, my walls full of insulation and ive got lights mounted everywhere I can. traditional or not, I want to be warm and I want to see what im doing. If im under a lowered car trying to swap a tansmission and have ATF running down my arm and dirt falling into my eyes id rather have the rest of the amenities to try to be comfortable

jvo, els, Jugornot and 8 others like this.
  26. Steve More

Steve More

image.jpeg I wish I could get my car in the garage

27. 08racer

08racer
    from Gilbert AZ

els and waxhead like this.
  28. 08racer

08racer
    from Gilbert AZ

My OCD might have an issue with that.

els likes this.
  29. LAROKE

LAROKE

Yup. It will morph on its own over time (please disregard to OT Caddy hot rod in the second photo).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Desoto291Hemi, 1947knuck, els and 2 others like this.
  30. robracer1

robracer1

Here's part of mine DSC02859.JPG

1947knuck, els, biggeorge and 4 others like this.