Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects UPDATE: Am I nuts? - I guess not after all...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Thor1, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I wish I was along your route home so that I could afford some assistance if it was needed and to hopefully just see you drive on by on your way home with it! :cool::D

volvobrynk and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I'm watching. Best of luck and I wish I could do something similar. Maybe someday.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Best of luck to you! I hope it's a fun trip! I will be watching for updates.

4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thor careful...if you get up at the Butt Crack of Dawn you may be delayed in getting out early...:p...get all that over with the night before...:D...Hey bring a towbar maybe you find something else on the way...just kidding and kidding...Hey have a Period Blast amoungst the Mohair...

5. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Sent you a PM with my contact info. Have a great trip, you won't pass too far from me if you need anything.

SPark

volvobrynk likes this.
  6. atch

atch

Great adventure. I'm glad you're driving this thing home. Good on you.

1. In the vein of adventure, you might wanna cross the Mississippi River at Hickman KY on the Hickman-Dorena ferry. Not out of your way at all; just a different route a few miles west of your plan. If you get to Hickman you can't miss the ferry, the highway goes directly to it. Look up Hickman in Google Earth and it'll show you right were you need to go. How many times in your life do you get to cross one of the largest rivers in the world on a ferry and in an old car?

2. When you go past STL I'm 2 hours straight west and will help if I can should you need it. 573 864-4007

3. Just before you cross into Iowa on 27 you'll go through Wayland, MO. Be sure to have lunch at Reed's Bar and Grill. Home of "Breeder" here on the hamb. Again you can't miss it. Wayland is only about 4 blocks by 4 blocks and downtown is only 1/2 block long with Reeds right in the middle of it.

4. Just after leaving Wayland you'll cross the Des Moines River into Iowa at St. Francisville. You should use the old bridge, which is still there and open to traffic just a few yards east of the new bridges. Just before you get onto the bridge you will see a wide spot in the road and if you look you can see where the old toll booth was there in the middle of the road. They only manned the booth during the daytime. If you crossed after the toll folks locked up and left you were expected to leave your toll in the box there on the side of the booth; honor system. IIRC the toll was a nickel or dime or maybe 15 cents.

5. Of course someone on here will probably make corrections in #1 and/or #4 since CRS got me several years ago.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  7. Way too far for me o be of any assistance but I am wishing you the best. Travel reasonably speed wise, and be extremely careful. If you can take pictures and share them here, I am sure there will be interest.

8. Awesome!! Have a great trip... Post lots of pics!!

9. Steve have fun with this. It can be the adventure of a lifetime.

Thor1 likes this.
  10. Winter is coming and you have a chance to spend it in FL. Heck, sell everything and move there. The writing is on the wall, it's your destiny. Listen to the force. Then you won't have to drive her back ! Bestoluck

volvobrynk and Thor1 like this.
  11. B Bay Barn

B Bay Barn

Jeez Bob, why dont we join him.

Thor1 likes this.
  12. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Did you buy that car from big Mike?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  13. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Go man go!!!!

Sent you a PM if you need assistance near StL, or just wanna check stuff out, give me a shout.

14. 1300 miles in 2 days sounds a little ambitious to me especially on secondary roads. It also sounds like your boss is on board with this plan. What's a couple extra days? Take your time and enjoy the trip!!!

volvobrynk, chryslerfan55 and Thor1 like this.
  15. Man I'd do that in a heart beat. That's a bucket list thing I wanna do- buy a car out of state and drive it home!

Pinstriper40, volvobrynk and Thor1 like this.
  16. Any pics of the car?

volvobrynk likes this.
  17. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

18. Terrible80

Terrible80

volvobrynk likes this.
  19. buford_59

buford_59

Thor1,

About 10 or 12 years ago we (my wife Deb and I) bought a '39 Buick Special 4dr sedan. The car was located in Alexandria Ont., about 1/2 way between Montreal and Ottawa. We bought the car sight unseen, just pictures. It was bone stock. We flew into Ottawa and picked up the car. Went to the local Canadian Tire and bought a gas can and transistor radio. Filled up with gas, but not the can (didn't want fumes leaking into the interior). The gas gauge worked and after filling up a couple of times I figured I knew how far we could get between fills. You guessed it I ran out of gas about 15 miles before the closest service station. Did I learn my lesson? Of course not!!! Ran out once more.

The car ran great and we cruised about 55. Everything passed us except a tractor, a guy on a bike and a semi that had just pulled onto the highway. It took us about 3 1/2 days, had a great time and people were friendly ( except the customs guard crossing Souix Mich. I guess someone pissed in his corn flakes that morning) especially the folks that helped out to pick up gas.

It was a great adventure and all on blind faith. Have a great safe trip and be safe. Don't push the tired barrier, it's not worth it. Are you driving back solo or somebody riding shotgun?

DoUg

Thor1 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  20. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I got in to Pensacola at 11:00. Checked everything out - she's a beaut! Got to hang out for a while with the seller's brother-in-law and get a tour of his shop and old trucks.

I am visiting now with the seller - he is at a rehab facility. We did the transfer and are waiting for the funds to land in the seller's account and then I am going to hit the road.

Chris, here's a picture.

Attached Files:

21. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Great looking new ride! Youre gonna have a BLAST breaking it in with a road trip home.

Hell, when these were new they got driven all over and not near as nice of roads as now. Heres to a trouble free trip

Thor1 likes this.
  22. atch

atch

All I can say is...

I'm jealous.

Looks like a really cherry car. If the mechanicals are as good as the body looks you are in tall cotton.

23. B Bay Barn

B Bay Barn

And lots of pictures please!!!!

24. RR

RR

Get AAA and hit the road! Drive it! That is what they used to do- folks did not trailer 46 cars back in 46 because they were concerned about going the distance. Don't get stressed and above all, have fun!

Thor1 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  25. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Doug, I hear ya on the cruising speed - this old Ford likes it right around 55. i have only had a couple people try to drive up my backside so far. I am trying to stick to two lanes to avoid getting run over.

I actually stopped for the night near Repson, Alabama. I got a late start out of Pensacola so I only got a couple hours of driving in. I got on the road to the airport in Minneapolis this morning at 4:00 and that was after a night of not being able to sleep very well so I'm running on fumes and not going to push it. I was hoping my oldest son would be able to come along on the trip but it didn't work out so I'm flying solo.

26. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The car seems to be running well.

Driving impressions: It's been a couple years since I've had an old car out of the highway at speed for an extended duration.
    1. I forgot how much wind noise there is.
    2. There are some noises here and there that are driving me nuts. There is an intermittent vibration/buzz coming from somewhere in the dash. I think it is the plastic dash trim. I will HAVE to do a search and destroy on that one!
    3. The steering is a little loose. I've driven worse in the past but it will need to be looked at.
    4. If I fill the gas tank too full there is a drip until the level goes down a little. I think it is coming from the rubber hose on the filler neck.
    5. The car doesn't have turn signals...yet. This will probably be the first thing I do to the car. The second thing will be to add seat belts. The third thing will be to put in a heater.

I am going to get on the road early and see if I can get 600 miles in before stopping.

Attached Files:

27. So far so good. Try and stay on the type of roads in your pictures. Two lane slower speed. Have as much fun as you can and be careful.

volvobrynk likes this.
  28. atch

atch

Probably 98% of the people on this board know what a hand signal is, what they mean, and how to use them. Probably 2% of those not on this board know. I bet you'd be safer if you assume that NO ONE ELSE on the road knows what you're signaling and leave room accordingly.

29. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

You know, just the other day I drove my old tractor to a gas station that is less than a mile from me to fill it up before winter gets here and wondered if the people behind me had any idea what my hand signals meant or if they even realized that I was signaling! :eek: