Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Anybody got the breakdown on Ford steering wheel splines?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gimpyshotrods, Oct 22, 2017.

1. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a column form an unknown year Mustang or Falcon. All I can tell is that the turn signal switch is 1963 or later.

I am swapping it into my Falcon, as it does not have the nub left over from the column shifter, and it has a separate shaft from the box.

I am planning on running an aftermarket steering wheel on an adapter, but there is a change in splines between 1964 and 1965.

I cannot seem to find any clear information on which one is which. The interwebs has conflicting information.

2. There's two early 4-speed column switches; the C30Z and the C50Z for the Falcon/Comet/Mustang. The C3 is 63-64 only (including the 64.5 Mustang), and the C5 is '65 only on the Falcon/Comet, goes to '66 on the Mustang. There's also two different steering wheels, same year break as the switches. Ford made the change when they switched from generators to alternators in '65. They look pretty similar, so you need to look for the part number on it.

Fairlanes with a 4-speed uses yet a different switch depending on the year; C3AZ fits '63-64, and C5VY for '65-66 (and all other '66 Ford cars except for the Mustang). But again, the main break was generators to alternators.

In '67 they went to E-flashers built-in, so those are obvious.

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks. I will see if I can nail it down by the turn signal switch, or otherwise. I need to break it down some to pant it. The current blue paint, wile in good shape, just does not go with my color scheme.

4. IIRC, the steering shaft size/spline count is the same for both. but the design of the horn contact/turn signal cam was changed which is why there's two steering wheels.

5. Might want to pick up a jewelers file too, the Grant wheel adapter splines are way too tight and need a little massaging to get a nice interface on the column shaft.

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a fat stack.

7. cooljunk

cooljunk

What is the spline count, I have a 64 Falcon and want an aftermarket 13 inch wheel, I see Grant has adapters but would prefer a one piece setup.

8. Quick question here, just a question. Why not just swap the collar onto your old column and not sweat the rest of the stuff?

9. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

That would be nice to know, covering everything from T's to early 60's cars. Gary

10. Correct. Would certainly make swapping wheels easier wouldn't it. That may be an @Bruce Lancaster question at least up to the '50s.

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Because the stock column has no bottom bearing, as it attaches directly to the steering box, which is going in the dumpster.

I have recurring bone spurs in my left shoulder, and can no longer have a daily driver without power steering.

12. That works for me. Sorry about the shoulder and no shame in a little assistance, beats the hell out of the bus.

I got a Ford adapter if it turns out that yours is the wrong spline, mine is for I think 65 and newer. Its either a grant or a calcustom. Yours if you need it.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  13. cooljunk

cooljunk

I tried to count the splines on my 64 column, got 42 but I am not sure of these old eyes!