Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Fish carburetors

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Moriarity, Sep 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

So I bought a fish carb at the St. Peter swap this morning. When I was in tech school for auto mechanics back in the 70's one of my classmates brought one in. This is the only other I have seen since then. Does anyone here know what the deal is with these?[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Do a HAMB search, there is info here. Gary

3. PM Mike Zenor, he has had them and posted a lot over the years

4. cool looking carpuretor.

lippy, slack, blowby and 1 other person like this.

5. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Fireball Roberts drove a 55 Buick stock car sponcered by Fish Carburators!! I read somewhere that it was so good and made engines get such great mileage that the oil companys bought the pattens to get them off the market.

Moriarity likes this.
  6. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Noooo, but Fish did have problems w/the Post Office, after some strings were pulled - due to some (unfounded) accusations were leveled. & back then, that meant virtually no shipping. Kinda killed the business.
    Were very adj for different a/f ratios, & different fuels, fuel flowed out the throttle shaft alongside the butterfly, using very low fuel-pump psi , ~ 1.5 - 3 psi, iirc. They worked very well, but were NOT Super-Carbs for ultra-hi-MPG, as others - NOT the Fish Co - claimed. Did help return a bit more mpg, & better throttle response, = more power, but considering what was OEM n aftermarket back then, well... :D .
    Eventually, Mike Brown got the rights n patterns, after that, another guy, but both those guys priced themselves out of the market. Personally, I think it was on purpose. & long story as to why. Remember?, it was the early 70's->80's by then, & all the BS that went along w/fuel.
    Fish had ~ 5 different models, & iirc, all were single barrels.
    Neat find.
    Marcus...

FishFry, stillrunners and X38 like this.
  7. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I believe Mike Brown is still in business. He said he got out of making Fish carburetors in 1996 because fuel injection took away practically all the demand. A few years ago he announced he would make one final batch of carbs at $800 apiece.

He published a manual on the Fish carb that is the most complete information available. A good investment if you want to use yours, I think I paid $15 for mine.

Fish himself never made any ridiculous claims like 200MPG or such nonsense. The only vehicle he said would get substantially better mileage, were certain 1955 V8 Fords that came with defective carburetors in the first place.

His carburetor worked on a different principle from any other, and had the advantage of being tuneable for any car without buying different jets, rods, etc.

This means it can be adapted to any engine and adjusted for peak efficiency.

http://www.mikebrownsolutions.com/books/the-fish-carburetor-book/

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
    kidcampbell71 and Moriarity like this.
  8. carbking

carbking

The only way to know for sure how good? the carb performs is to do a back-to-back road test. My mentor in the carburetor business did a back-to-back 1000 mile test. His test vehicle: a 1963 Ford 6-cylinder station wagon.

It does make an excellent paperweight and a wonderful conversation piece.

Try it! And post your results!

Jon.

kadillackid, 29AVEE8 and Moriarity like this.
  9. Most people confuse the Fish carburetor with the Pogue carburetor which was supposed to get 200 or so mpg.

Mick

10. carbking

carbking

Have had several Fish carburetors. We used to sell one occasionally to a restaurant in the south (NASCAR country) to hang on the wall (NEVER to put on an engine). The Fish does have a history with NASCAR; Mr. Yunick was able to make the Fish run fairly well with Hudsons on NASCAR tracks where the driver never had to lift. The venturi area was about 40 percent larger than the original Carters. More air, more HP at WOT.

Never have had a Pogue carburetor. One was a no-sale on Ebay a few years ago. As I remember, the starting price was well into 4 figures.

There is a LOT of information out there on the Fish (my folder is probably an inch thick), if you look. I have not seen much information on the Pogue.

Jon.

Moriarity likes this.
  11. so all the hype of high fuel mileage and better performance was just [sorry] a red herring to get you to buy them?

12. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Fish published testimonials from customers that claimed around 20% or 25% better mileage.

13. carbking

carbking

My mentor's back-to-back test averaged 23 MPG with the stock Holley, 26 MPG with the Fish.

His driveway slanted down from the street. During the test, he had to BACK into the driveway, as he had insufficient power to back out of the driveway without significantly slipping the clutch.

Jon.

14. southerncad

southerncad

I got one back around '62 and put on my bone stock '40 Chevy, didn't make a damn bit of difference in the way it ran, and then who checked gas milage:D

Moriarity likes this.
  15. Road Runner

Road Runner

I fish there would have been more similar unique carp designs in the early years.
    Not for any carptical purpose, but for the enjoyment of posterity to look back how once folks bought $$$-gadgets they didn't really need - like the iPhony

Atwater Mike likes this.
  16. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

That is interesting, as most cars have a lower reverse gear than low gear.

17. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Was there a reason for calling it a 'fish' other than it being a carp? (uretor...)
    (to draw attention to Road Runner's post...)
    Good one...

18. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

I bought a fish carburetor once , it didn't run for carp guy told me it was because it was out of tuna , I think it was running rich getting to much bass , : )

19. one problem they have [so i've heard] is an insulator must be used under the carb, they ice up and the needle doesn't close, referred to as a frozen fish stick.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  20. Slopok

Slopok

Sounds Crappie to me!;)

Atwater Mike likes this.
  21. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mahi-Mahi, this brings back memories. I used to live next to a pollack who had a fish carp perched in front of a turbot on a flathead. He always snook out after dark to race. One night he suckered Gil de Ferran into a street race. The pollack sidestepped the clutch and bluegill away. Cod, that thing would scream.

zzford, Roadsir and Atwater Mike like this.
  22. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

All of the fish puns are enough to make one eel.

23. aaggie

aaggie

The high mileage claims with the Pouge carb was from the way it worked. There was a system that actually preheated the gas mixture to vaporize it before being sucked into the engine. Very lean mixtures could be run. The problem that killed the program was when additives were added to the gas to stop detonation it clogged up the preheat system. It did work well on early low compression engines, I don't think it ever returned 200MPG but it did get a significant increase over conventional carbs of the day.

24. carbking

carbking

I have been working on carburetors since 1959; and have yet to speak to anyone who has:

(A) personally successfully run an engine with a Pogue carburetor
    (B) personally observed anyone successfully run an engine with a Pogue carburetor.

I did get some literature on the Pogue (not much) when I acquired the Stromberg files; but no mention of the Stromberg engineers actually trying the carburetor. Stromberg ACTIVELY sought out inventors of carburetor improvements. Some of the most interesting (at least to me) reading of automobile history is contained in the files of Stromberg working with non-Stromberg personnel.

I really get a chuckle when I read that the high mileage carbs really DID exist, but they were purchased by the oil companies to protect their profits. Who had the most money? The oil companies, or General Motors??? If such carburetors did exist, does anyone believe the automobile manufacturers would not have fought to have these on their cars??? Unfortunately, it is impossible to argue pipe dreams with factual data.

Incidentally, if one compares the existing drawings for the Pogue carburetor to those of the Holley kerosene vaporizers used on mid-teen tractors (not the vaporizer system used on the Ford T), one finds the design of the Holley kerosene carb and the Pogue remarkedly similar.

Jon.

kadillackid and Road Runner like this.
  25. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

So many variants of the tale of the little man who went to Standard Oil with his 200 MPG carburetor in a bag.
    He entered the offices and got on an elevator, never to be heard from again!

My Mom used to tell me this story at bedtime...never bothered me, "Uh, Mom...Leave the light on...Don't close the door... no, wider..." :eek:

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  26. 40 Olds

40 Olds

IMG_1339.JPG IMG_1340.JPG IMG_1341.JPG

Found these recently

27. 40 Olds

40 Olds

IMG_1342.JPG IMG_1343.JPG IMG_1346.JPG
    Few more

kadillackid and Truck64 like this.
  28. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

$49.50 in 1955 was a chunk of change for a carburetor, they are cool, but..

29. Who remembers that "help me get my fish carbs back" thread?
    I wish someone saved that one.

tb33anda3rd and kidcampbell71 like this.
  30. gt alex

gt alex
    from Australia

I have been running fish carbs reliably for last 10 year they have great torque and do give better milage mostly because less gear changing four hills etc.
    I would be keen to get some original drawings or even copies
    I am thinking of trying to make some now that I am retired.
    Thanks

FishFry and kidcampbell71 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.